What are you doing to stay occupied while furloughed?

I’m filling my days well. One thing I do avoid like the plague is the TV during the day, as said, the constant virus news just gets depressing, along with the daily ‘death count’. I think the more saturated we get with this news, the more it gives depression a chance to get a foothold.
So for me it’s getting out for a daily cycle, working on a project car and having a good daily session on my bass guitar, something I’ve neglected a bit prior to this situation. There’s always jobs that need doing to keep me focused. Like Rob, I drop shopping round to my parents as they’re stuck indoors, so a bit of driving around every few days.

I think the most important thing is to stay positive and look at what we’ve got and make the best of it.

Riffer:
I’m filling my days well. One thing I do avoid like the plague is the TV during the day, as said, the constant virus news just gets depressing, along with the daily ‘death count’. I think the more saturated we get with this news, the more it gives depression a chance to get a foothold.
So for me it’s getting out for a daily cycle, working on a project car and having a good daily session on my bass guitar, something I’ve neglected a bit prior to this situation. There’s always jobs that need doing to keep me focused. Like Rob, I drop shopping round to my parents as they’re stuck indoors, so a bit of driving around every few days.

I think the most important thing is to stay positive and look at what we’ve got and make the best of it.

You’re right about live tv news, it’s constantly all one subject, ok not surprising, but it is ott overkill all the same. :unamused:
My Mrs is getting a mild obsession with it, all tbh, she’s constantly keeping me ‘up to date’ with it, in fact it was her that turned me from being my usual cynical self towards it, from a ‘just the flu’ type of way, to even me taking a more serious a view on it all, but maybe not as much as her :unamused: …but I suppose it’s had the effect of us trying to stay safe and away from it.

To make her even worse, my eldest lad rang yesterday to say he had developed a sore throat and a cough, so I’m trying my best to keep her relatively calm about it, but at same time hoping it’s just something minor.

It’s a good job that I am no longer a carer 24/7 trying to keep a vulnerable person safe, because if I was my mental health would be off the Richter scale during this crisis. I doff my hat to those who have to worry about elderly people who are in self isolation.
However where I live it is predominantly elderly residents who are my neighbours so if I’m heading out to the shop I’ll ask them if they need anything from the shop, but most of the time all they want is ■■■■ and milk

I’m an antisocial old cow so I’m knitting and reading the EOS book to do my coach CPC once all the restrictions are lifted

The NHS have told me I’m vulnerable and have to stay in the house so my car is becomming a bit of an expensive ornament

dozy:

robroy:
Been off a week now. :neutral_face:
I ain’t gonna come out with the usual ‘Itching to be back’’ / ‘‘bored sat at home,’’ /missing the job ■■■■■■■■, on the contrary in fact.
Walked about 5 miles every day, decorated the living room, decorated the hall and staircase, done the front garden.
Tomorrow pressure washing the decking and finishing the back garden that my boy started today, so getting it ready for a barbie and a few beers over the Easter weekend hopefully if weather is nice :sunglasses: ( no guests btw sticking to the guide rules like a good lad, so just me my wife and youngest lad.)

Delivered shopping to my parents and a favourite Auntie, both about 10 miles away.

In between times re.watching first 2 series of ‘Seal Team’ and a thriller series called ‘The Tunnel’… (both reccomend worth watching btw) and the odd episode of ‘Modern Family’ :smiley:

Trucknet, You tube, phoning or texting mates who are still working, facetiming my 2 daughters, and kids and eldest lad and his kids.

Viewing the depraved whats apps sent to me by Maoster and a few other mates (his are the most [zb] dodgy btw :open_mouth: [emoji38] ) … and generally putting a positive spin on a crap situation.

If I’m honest I’m quite enjoying being at home for a change, and sampling the life of a Giroman, or even a bloke with a proper normal job.

If I could afford it I’d jack tomorrow and would not give a [zb] if I never saw another [zb] truck again.

You don’t want to come back rob , these planners are having a
Field day with these new hours

Seems like it might just be your planners then. As our company have said they won’t be extending any hours.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dozy:

robroy:
I ain’t gonna come out with the usual ‘Itching to be back’’ / ‘‘bored sat at home,’’ /missing the job ■■■■■■■■, on the contrary in fact.
Walked about 5 miles every day, decorated the living room, decorated the hall and staircase, done the front garden.
Tomorrow pressure washing the decking and finishing the back garden that my boy started today, so getting it ready for a barbie and a few beers over the Easter weekend hopefully if weather is nice :sunglasses: ( no guests btw sticking to the guide rules like a good lad, so just me my wife and youngest lad.)

Delivered shopping to my parents and a favourite Auntie, both about 10 miles away.

In between times re.watching first 2 series of ‘Seal Team’ and a thriller series called ‘The Tunnel’… (both reccomend worth watching btw) and the odd episode of ‘Modern Family’ :smiley:

Trucknet, You tube, phoning or texting mates who are still working, facetiming my 2 daughters, and kids and eldest lad and his kids.

Viewing the depraved whats apps sent to me by Maoster and a few other mates (his are the most [zb] dodgy btw :open_mouth: :laughing: ) … and generally putting a positive spin on a crap situation.

If I’m honest I’m quite enjoying being at home for a change, and sampling the life of a Giroman, or even a bloke with a proper normal job.

If I could afford it I’d jack tomorrow and would not give a [zb] if I never saw another [zb] truck again.

I work for Stobart’s as a full time permanent driver.

And my planners have not asked me to do any extra hours…

eagerbeaver:

dozy:

robroy:

Viewing the depraved whats apps sent to me by Maoster and a few other mates (his are the most [zb] dodgy btw :open_mouth: :laughing: ) … and generally putting a positive spin on a crap situation.

And my planners have not asked me to do any extra hours…

Without prejudice, Gentlemen.
But this post seems like a loose accusation that Mr. Robroy is in some way connected with the Green Machine.■■?

^^^^^ you’ve got more chance of knitting fog than that happening. No, it’s Beaver who’s decided to grace the green machine with his presence.

I have a friend who is a pilot for British Airways but, because of this l0ckdown, he’s off work, l asked him if he fancied doing a bit of decorating for me while he’s at a loose end and he jumped at the chance.

l must say, he made a lovely job of the landing.

eagerbeaver:

C’mon Beav mate, ‘‘PERMANENT’’ may be stretching it a bit. :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

eagerbeaver:

C’mon Beav mate, ‘‘PERMANENT’’ may be stretching it a bit. :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley:
telegraph.co.uk/beauty/hair … egan-perm/

Wheel Nut:
I have a friend who is a pilot for British Airways but, because of this l0ckdown, he’s off work, l asked him if he fancied doing a bit of decorating for me while he’s at a loose end and he jumped at the chance.

Is he getting the 80% Furlough pay? - Is anyone getting any pay come to that?

Winseer:

Wheel Nut:

Whhoooossssshhhhh

And that`s not the sound of a jet touching down.

Franglais:

Winseer:

Wheel Nut:

Whhoooossssshhhhh

And that`s not the sound of a jet touching down.

:laughing: :laughing:
That guy should maybe jack being a pilot, start his own decorating business
I’m sure it would take off.

What do you reckon of his business plan Winseer?

Any Business Plan = The next thing Banks decide to f— over.

A better strategy to get around the banks would be to carefully plan one’s run-up of debt, and accidentally deliberatly choose the optium moment to strategically default it.

We’ll have a proper Labour party - once we have our Labour MPs telling people to nick money off banks, rather than murder/suicide their families over “debt that must be paid” … It is this Left concept of “Must” that sticks in my craw - and demonstrates where Labour went wrong in 2008 in deciding to look after the already filthy-rich banks rather than even their own core voters… FFS how do they ever expect to get elected again in this country? :unamused:

Aye but Wheel nut’s mate has looked into a Government pilot scheme to help get him off the ground.
Maybe he should try that.
It includes a New business start up grant, but problem is they reckon it’s unfortunately attracting a lot of thes fly by night type companies, like Taxiing, :unamused:
Have you heard of it?

robroy:
Aye but Wheel nut’s mate has looked into a Government pilot scheme to help get him off the ground.
It includes a New business start up grant, but problem is they reckon it’s unfortunately attracting a lot of thes fly by night type companies, like Taxiing, :unamused:
Have you heard of it?

Smaller companies especially need this.
They should be free to spread their wings. Blue sky thinking is critical to avoid a stall. Don’t panic and get into a tail spin, be prepared to soar high, and take a hawkish position. If things do get bad it may be necessary to bsul out, but maybe the Gov offers a golden parachute option.

Franglais:

robroy:
Have you heard of it?

Smaller companies especially need this.
They should be free to spread their wings. Blue sky thinking is critical to avoid a stall. Don’t panic and get into a tail spin, be prepared to soar high, and take a hawkish position. If things do get bad it may be necessary to bsul out, but maybe the Gov offers a golden parachute option.

Drink more coffee and less Calvados in the morning.

All these government grants are not supposed to be for “New Business Start-ups” - they are supposed to prevent businesses currently losing money from closing down in the first place.

If you take the money then - surely to take it, and THEN close down ANYWAY - would amount to a serious FRAUD?

Today is the day Firms put in for Furlough grants - isn’t it?

I can’t see many firms NOT putting in for something, but where does the money go once it is handed over for ■■■ number of staff on the books?

Paid straight over to already-furloughed zero-pay-since workers like Yours Truly?

…There will be a log-jam, even with the best of intentions…
The “Moral Hazard” option that firms have, of course…

…“Take the money based on ■■■ PAYE employed staff, then fabricate a reason why that money then stops there at the firm, and isn’t passed on as the 80% to the workforce payroll the exact amount per person not exceeding £2500 per month and 80% of that workers average wage over the past 12 months”…

FFS on THAT basis - I’m expecting the full whack backdated for the duration!
…of course Firms will then try to turn a profit on the transaction legitimately by giving that person back at least 20% of their former hours… One shift where they used to do 5 - would do, here, obviously…

Otherwise paying 80% of that “gardening leave” employee’s cost, whilst keeping them ON that gardnening leave - means the firm still have to foot a 20% bill - don’t they?

Maybe firms will try and “Shadow Sack” people, where a claim is made based on them “being on the books”, but when the employee pushes for the money - “Oh, we let you go over a month ago - didn’t you know? Oh sorry, your lay-off letter must have been lost in the post. Blame the post office.”
…However, that would mean the firm has then applied for a grant based on a false declaration that so-and-so member of staff was “on their books” for getting that grant, but “gone of their own accord” when it comes to paying them out.

I would strongly advise people currently on furlough then - NOT to “Resign” at this time. It isn’t as if there’s another job to go to anyways, eh?

https://www.centralbusiness.co.uk/general-articles/furlough-what-to-pay/

and of course the important bit with regards to PAYE agency workers:

It would seem that agencies should have been paying some kind of average amount already, but I appreciate that a lot of firms simply won’t have the cashflow to act thus, not with their staff going from max hours to NO hours in one step.
Thus, such firms should be getting their oar in today of all days (April 20th) and making that claim for the time we’ve been in lockdown to date AND the worker has received less than their normal pay, averaged over the past 11-12 months.

FFS any money at ALL would be nice - by the end of this week, to pay the month-end bills!
I read some people quibbling about “Ahh but 80% of my wage would take me to below minimum wage, so that amount I’ve been paid ain’t good enough”
Pffft! Wanna kick any income at all down the road for more weeks on end?

No thanks.

I ain’t gonna be moaning if I end up getting say, 80% of a ‘reduced average amount’, 80% of my net pay instead of gross average pay, ‘no 80% rebate of Tax and NI paid’, etc etc.
Just get that £2500 in my account by the end of this week for the past month already!

I can’t believe that no firm will be putting in for it - that’s for sure!

have we ever had a quadruple wooosssshhhhher before?
or is winseer the new tunnel vision record holder sofar?? :laughing: