West Yorkshire to Lancashire old routes

Lawrence Dunbar:
The Carriage House on the Standedge, Would I be correct in saying That some of the scenes from Regards Larry. Last Of The Summer Wine are filmed there ■■?, Regards Larry.

Sorry I have the wrong glasses on, Regards Larry.

Hello John Old67, Hope you are well. Have a look at page 359 on
“Past and present and in between” thread, I am sure that is a
Ripponden van body on that Albion,on a picture sent by Oily.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

Ray Smyth:
Hello John Old67, Hope you are well. Have a look at page 359 on
“Past and present and in between” thread, I am sure that is a
Ripponden van body on that Albion,on a picture sent by Oily.

Regards, Ray Smyth.

I am very well thanks Ray, hope you are too. Yes the chap with the Albion got a couple of Rippy ■■■■ bodies, he also put one on a Trader.

11393101_915356755173228_386538252244000049_n.jpg
Regards. John.

Anyone got any photos of the A58 and A646 before the M62 days ■■?

ramone:
Anyone got any photos of the A58 and A646 before the M62 days ■■?

Anyone remember Glossop Transport from Hipperholme, IIRC They had some real old motors Scammells Etc,Some photos would be great, Regards Larry.

What a great thread this is ! I lived in Yorkshire and started driving in 1967 going over the A58 a lot to Liverpool. I didn’t know the names of the transport cafes i stopped at but always remembered where they were though, if you could see me you’d know i didn’t pass by many, ha ha. Thanks all of you ‘older’ drivers who have better memories than mine for the photos and stories about how it used to be, i can’t remember much about my trips across the Pennines only that the old motors i had used to get hot and once i slipped off into the ditch in a snow storm and had to get pulled out.

Charles

Just had another look at this thread, and another route came to mind.
The A 59, “Going Over Blubberhouses” to York or Harrogate from
Lancashire. No M65 in the old days. Rough in Winter. Ray Smyth.

Motorman’s:

BAK 449L | AEC Mammoth Major | Longley Farm by Chris Globe, on Flickr

RUC 974E | Ford D-Series | E Bailey & Sons Haulage by Chris Globe, on Flickr

FLG 497F | Foden S.36 | James Hemphill Transport Ltd by Chris Globe, on Flickr

Late evening at the Carriage House:

DWW 112H | Atkinson Gold Knight | R Hanson & Son Ltd by Chris Globe, on Flickr

RRA 464E | Dennis Dropside Tipper | R Towse by Chris Globe, on Flickr

Ripponden & District Commer van

Ripponden Commer.jpg

old 67:

Chris Webb:

old 67:
I think this photo must have been taken at Standedge, see the tunnel ventilation outlets in the background.
Regards. John.

Outside Motorman’s Café I think John.
What a cracking photo of my favourite wagon,the AEC MK5.I remember Tyburn very well.

No, sorry Chris and Larry, not The Motormans ( no tunnel vents near there ). I’m pretty sure it was taken from the Standedge services ( now The Carriage House ), just before the Standedge cutting. Google Street View would seem to confirm this.
Regards. John.

Correct, I was over there last Friday. There’s money being spent on the A62 over t’Standedge, somebody is renovating the Motormans cafe to what I think will be a residential property (hope they can manage to get all the sheep ‘excrement’ out of the place), one came walking in one morning and tried to eat my breakfast, as for Standedge services it’s still a guessing game what they are doing there
Hell, I spent some time on the A62 over there before the M62 was invented, it was a bleak place in winter, if the worst came to the worst we were young and we could manage the trek down to Marsden Village.
Early 60’s, just a young fella, on the coal job at Fred Chappells, 2 load a day Acton Hall pit (Featherstone) to Hedleys, Trafford Park, Atki with a 150 and a 6 speed DB box.
happy days and memories.

Stanfield:

That was a bar steward of a junction, coming up from \Diggle it was impossible to see left for the traffic from Delph,so it was approach steady so there was a gap in traffic coming down, keep moving steady in the wrong lane until you could use the nearside mirror to check what was in the left lane. If it all went wrong you were stuffed, stop, climb on the bonnet to check the flow, and them a hill start. :smiley:

I must have been 18 or so when I first crossed via the A62 riding shotgun with a load of Sanitary Disposal machines for delivery to hospitals around the north west and north east. Middle of winter, neither of us had been across this route before and it was blowing a blizzard! A really good introduction to crossing the Pennines, something I did quite regularly in later years, but mostly after the motorway was built, thank goodness. It certainly was a route for “proper” drivers in those days.

The A62 at the Horse & Jockey in 1956 with one of Wynn’s hauling an
electric loco destined for New South Wales Government Railways via Liverpool Docks.
While on the left is a Smith & Robinson AEC Mammoth Major Reg No PWY 806
in the livery of Thomas Hedley and Co. Ltd.

Anyone got any photos of the Halifax to Rochdale routes , through Sowerby Bridge on the A58 of the Todmorden route?