M62 closed

If anyone’s unlucky to be still out the 62’s shut both ways between 24 and 22 due to several incidents and poor weather.
The local updates are to avoid the other routes as they are just as bad.

Think you’d struggle to find another route that isn’t just as exposed to the elements tbh

Official advice: don’t try and cross the pennines.

examiner.co.uk/news/west-yo … s-14357268

Glad I turned round and refused to continue.

Looks like work’s decision to cancel the trunks over there was a good one.

All transpennie routes now closed due to strong winds and drifting snow.
Holme valley Mountain rescue are on the A62 helping stranded motorists according to Huddersfield examiner,barrier has been cut on M62 at 21/22 to turn traffic around…
Highways agency tweets telling hgv drivers not to park on hard shoulders and if out of time do printout and write on back(it’s on Twitter).
All information is on Kirklees website and Twitter page or Huddersfield examiner if anyone is travelling later or stuck in it…

Sat on a58 in gridlock, highways agency advising the diversion as a629/a58. This road is absolutely shocking. I’m looking at four trucks stuck in front of me

And on google maps it shows A58 closed halfway over tops.
Reckons three lorry’s gone over in wind on M62,whilst officials sorting job out it’s snowed and froze again,hundreds of people stranded on all routes.
If your gunna attempt it I’d stop at all night garage or a McDonald’s on 629 and get a brew.

Shimmied about half way down to meats littlebourgh, there’s a paddy near the top that has given up and just gone to bed cars can get past with difficulty he needs moving as he’s rate on the summit , called Rochdale council to plead with the out of hours man to get this road cleared or do something about the fact highways england official diversion is sending you this way , he wasn’t interested. Called 101 and got put on hold … joke wish I’d bed down on m62 . Nowt overturned hear but just severely clogged up

M62 still closed this morning both ways.

There’s a 3 mile line of lorries been parked up all night on the hard shoulder between Junctions 22 & 21 Westbound.

31718 (2) FRI.jpg

31751 (1).jpg

Also plenty parked up on the Eastbound side from Junction 21

31681 (2) FRI.jpg

The army have been called in to help in the last hour it’s been reported on news.

Yorkielad:
The army have been called in to help in the last hour it’s been reported on news.

I think they should do that sooner. All those men and all that equipment costing £millions and hiding in barracks.

Santa:

Yorkielad:

I think they should do that sooner. All those men and all that equipment costing £millions and hiding in barracks.

The calls for the army to help always make me smile. The whole reason for an armies existence is to kill the enemy! As for equipment, what are they supposed to do, blow the snowdrifts away with an anti tank weapon? Councils are far better prepared to fight snow than soldiers are.

I think the police and highways agency are struggling and have had no choice.
It said earlier on local that the truckers had parked along the hard shoulder in orderly lines but people had left vehicles in the carriageway and walked off,don’t know whereabouts they’ve gone it’s middle of nowhere.

i was in that last night, westbound, matrix showing 90 mins delays, eventually stopped half way down windy hill, i had a relief driver & chauffeur waiting in Milnrow, but no one knew what was happening, they opened up the central reservation i headed east, J22 was chaos, and i met my rescue team at J24, dropped down to Halifax, Hebdon Bridge, Todmorden, Rochdale, long way around but surprisingly quiet, (A58 was shut), and free of snow as in a sheltered valley
lots waiting to join the motorway at Milnrow to head east… traffic updates co twitter feeds, not sufficient info, or relevant to situation
over my hours, printout signed, now on holiday while GB defrosts…

Our problem was as fast as we cleared the road, the winds blew it back across, we were fighting a losing battle with mother nature. Everything we through at the situation, she came back with three times as much. I was working the top end of the M6, in the 12 years I’ve been a traffic officer, I have never been as busy as I was yesterday. The weather was horrendous!

Fire brigade cut central reservation to release trapped traffic makes you wonder what would of happened if it was this new concrete barrier

How hard is it to follow warnings and dont drive unless you have to, they are putting the emergency services lives in danger, its a no brainer

I hit it going passed the Milnrow junction going up windy hill about 7.30am, and sat in the same spot till about 2pm before we started to move.
Odd thing was all the broken down trucks, 1 DAF and one Scania. 5 MAN and 3 from the same out-fit. Dead cars in the in the middle lanes.
Glad I am not as trucks driver, I am a Fleet Engineer for a truck hire company. I could just turn around that Ripon and head back home by 6.30pm to Lancashire.
I was trying the get to High Grounds ind est Worksop.
Cheers Welly

M62.jpg Greater Manchester Police have just said on local radio that the M62 remains closed ‘indefinitely’ from junction 20 (Rochdale) to junction 24 (Huddersfield), due to 90 mph winds at Rakewood viaduct.

The only two routes open over the Pennines at the moment East of Manchester are the A646 through Todmorden and Hebden Bridge and the A62 between Oldham and Huddersfield over Standedge.

M62 Milnrow-002.JPG

A62 is gridlock,traffic stood going into Huddersfield so grit ain’t gunna do much as it gets colder later.