M62 closed

I did Barnsley to Oldham today. Ended up going through Bradford, past Keighley and cutting over to Colne, then across and down M66 down to M60. Took about 3hrs.

Tipped 3663 Oldham. I couldn’t get anywhere near Asda at Rochdale so that got brought back. Tipped a plt in Heywood, then back to Barnsley via Colne then Skipton as Keighley rd from Colne had been closed for ice. Took about 3hr30.

Now that is a rare sight!
Click on picture to view full size.

I’m currently parked near Derby en route from Grantham to Aldi Bolton with a load that one of our drivers failed today due to the M62 closure. I asked him why he even attempted going that way when all the travel reports told of the M62 being closed. His response was “yeah I heard that but the sat nav sent me that way!” I despair sometimes.

the maoster:
I’m currently parked near Derby en route from Grantham to Aldi Bolton with a load that one of our drivers failed today due to the M62 closure. I asked him why he even attempted going that way when all the travel reports told of the M62 being closed. His response was “yeah I heard that but the sat nav sent me that way!” I despair sometimes.

One of your ‘DRIVERS’ ? :unamused:
Think you’re being a bit charitable with that description bud. :smiley:

nightline:
How hard is it to follow warnings and dont drive unless you have to, they are putting the emergency services lives in danger, its a no brainer

I think I’m beginning to agree with this.

Without getting into whether previous generations coped better or had it harder we are faced with the situation as it is now and with the equipment/drivers/planners of today.

Firms are being careless at least and more than likely negligent in sending drivers into red warning areas.

Don’t half of these firms have statements and wordings in contracts highlighting their “duty of care”. Or is it as I’m guessing a duty they can turn on and off to suit them?

Edited to add - I don’t mean a sprinkle of snow - I mean sending drivers on runs that are knowingly hazardous on basically a fools errand.

robroy:

the maoster:

One of your ‘DRIVERS’ ? :unamused:
Think you’re being a bit charitable with that description bud. :smiley:

I’ve calmed down a bit :smiley: . That certainly wasn’t the description I used when I first found about it.

Two drivers from a firm i used to work for were sent out this morning for Yorkshire and told see how you get on. A lot of idiotic employers have no idea just get out and make me money.

I see on the news that it closed again now.

Cheer Welly

It’s not reopened all day,diversion is A62 now,it’s been gridlocked.
It’s forecast snow at 11pm again,glad I’ve had last couple of days off.

GOIN QUOIN:
Two drivers from a firm i used to work for were sent out this morning for Yorkshire and told see how you get on. A lot of idiotic employers have no idea just get out and make me money.

I would’ve told your 2 friends, when they called you to say that this was happening, to say NO to their/your previous/ employer. That would’ve been good advice from you to your 2 mates. :unamused:

Anybody thinking about using the A646 route and doesn’t know, there’s a bridge or two near Todmorden. :bulb:

axletramp:
Anybody thinking about using the A646 route and doesn’t know, there’s a bridge or two near Todmorden. :bulb:

I used it last night. It was clear and saved me from a night out and a run in on my weekend :smiley: That bridge is marked as 16’ 6"

GOIN QUOIN:

Sounds like idiotic drivers won’t speak up and refuse to do the run but instead try being superman then cry when they get stuck. :-')

I had to run back to Manchester from Doncaster this afternoon & opted for the long route of M18, M1, A38, A50, M6 because I couldn’t be arsed with all the traffic jams on the obvious diversions.

Pretty happy with my choice to be honest, all clear carriageways, limiter all the way and took me a tad over 3 hours.

I did the same, Sheffield to Widnes, Leyland, Warrington and Knowsley and back, via the A38/A50 and M6, clear roads all day, felt like driving on aSunday!

Just on our local news that the M62 will remain closed for the foreseeable future due to winds of up to 90mph expected.Reporter was standing on an overbridge by jct.24 and the motorway was deserted.Lanes 1 and 2 appeared clear with some ice(?)in lane 3.Glad I’m at home.

M62 now open

coiler:
M62 now open

that’s good news. 3 drops on Monday,Huddersfield,Halifax and Rochdale :cry:

A628 Woodhead still shut though

rob22888:
I had to run back to Manchester from Doncaster this afternoon & opted for the long route of M18, M1, A38, A50, M6 because I couldn’t be arsed with all the traffic jams on the obvious diversions.

Pretty happy with my choice to be honest, all clear carriageways, limiter all the way and took me a tad over 3 hours.

Did the same, although when I came back, the some silly Carlsberg driver had uncoupled his trailer… straight down the A34, to Stoke, aacross the 50 and so on, lovely pleasant drive with no hold ups.