We're agency we can drive anything!

We have to go with the flow. Some young people are passing there car driving test in an automatic. This means that they don’t have the licence to drive any sort of manual vehicle. I quite like the 4 over 4 but times change.

AF1:

nomiS36:
I’m not sure it is cable shift is it? It feels like how I remember them years ago. Is certainly air assisted as it does the psst on gear changes and not just from the clutch peddle. I believe DAFs are cable change but didn’t think MAN was?

Yes it’s cable shift now, they done away with the hydraulic shift years ago because it was too easy to overload the synchro’s with the hydraulic assistance.

Oh, well, I like it anyway. Way superior to the retarded autos anyway. It’s ideal for site work.

I’ve only had my hgv license for roughly 18 months… since then I have driven different kind of trucks… some drivers think I’m crazy but I actually have more joy driving a split 4/4 or whatever it’s called more than the auto and manual

What’s a manual gearbox?

Eric Rambler:
What’s a manual gearbox?

Lol it’s a gearstick with number on from 1 to 6 haha

Ah we used to have them in the old days, I’d like mine back, take back control I say.

Manuals were strong and stable.

I think it was the first daf 95 if i would be right it possesses 18 gears including half and split

Wot about the old Volvo F88 TD100B with the four speed box + splitter + range-change?
Now THAT used to be fun - 16 forward and 4 reverse!!

Steve

Drempels:
Imagine the horror, when having just got used to the Scania box, they give you a Volvo.

It’s the same but not the same! Aaaaaaaagh!

Oh yes I do :laughing: was on agency many years ago and seemed to swap between Scania and Volvo on a daily basis, with odd ERF thrown in for good measure. :slight_smile:

Eric Rambler:
What’s a manual gearbox?

That thing in the museum next to the starting handle and the hand-cranked windscreen wiper! :laughing:

Another agency driver-bashing thread, eh? (I’m currently an agency lad.)

I’d be overjoyed if was given a truck with a gearbox layout like the picture at the beginning of the thread and would have refused to drive the auto (I’ve yet to try driving a truck with a 4-over-4, 6-over-6, 8-speed slap-over, etc.) I’d rather have a manual over an auto, because in my opinion, autos are alright for driving around town, but in the long term, there’s no sense of occasion when driving one all the time, and plus, I don’t feel like a proper trucker. I rather have a clutch pedal because my left foot gets fidgety after a while.

I think (again in my opinion) that all autos should have a manual clutch pedal like on Scania’s semi-auto 'box.

During the last fortnight, I’ve been driving for a firm out of Sunderland delivering new furniture to an MOD base in Bulworth and a school in Swindon. They run two types of 18-tonners: 2 MANs (high roof cabs) with autos and 3 DAFs with straight-6 manuals. For the majority of the time I was there, I was given one of the MANs. Even though the cab space was superb for the nights out I had during that time, but I felt like that I couldn’t get much power out of the engine, especially when fully freighted and the 'box was lugging it (had to assist it by sticking it into manual a few times.) However, for the last day, the job involved driving one of the DAFs down to Tamworth Services, swapping over with one of their regular drivers, and bringing a similar motor back. Both the DAFs were much better to drive than the MAN, because the gear changes were fantastically smooth, and that I had full control over the engine’s power output.

Apparently, the regular driver had been on the phone to the gaffer, moaning that the gear change in the truck that I bought down to him was very stiff (typical blame the agency man :unamused:.)

Garbo2018:

I’d be overjoyed if was given a truck with a gearbox layout like the picture at the beginning of the thread and would have refused to drive the auto (I’ve yet to try driving a truck with a 4-over-4, 6-over-6, 8-speed slap-over, etc.) I’d rather have a manual over an auto, because in my opinion, autos are alright for driving around town, but in the long term, there’s no sense of occasion when driving one all the time, and plus, I don’t feel like a proper trucker. I rather have a clutch pedal because my left foot gets fidgety after a while.

I think (again in my opinion) that all autos should have a manual clutch pedal like on Scania’s semi-auto 'box.

During the last fortnight, I’ve been driving for a firm out of Sunderland delivering new furniture to an MOD base in Bulworth and a school in Swindon. They run two types of 18-tonners: 2 MANs (high roof cabs) with autos and 3 DAFs with straight-6 manuals. For the majority of the time I was there, I was given one of the MANs. Even though the cab space was superb for the nights out I had during that time, but I felt like that I couldn’t get much power out of the engine, especially when fully freighted and the 'box was lugging it (had to assist it by sticking it into manual a few times.) However, for the last day, the job involved driving one of the DAFs down to Tamworth Services, swapping over with one of their regular drivers, and bringing a similar motor back. Both the DAFs were much better to drive than the MAN, because the gear changes were fantastically smooth, and that I had full control over the engine’s power output.

Apparently, the regular driver had been on the phone to the gaffer, moaning that the gear change in the truck that I bought down to him was very stiff (typical blame the agency man :unamused:.)

OMG, you said “proper trucker” “Scania” and “fully freighted”…

I along with many, many others are triggering wildly now, have you no sympathy for us snowflakes?

Drempels:

Garbo2018:

OMG, you said “proper trucker” “Scania” and “fully freighted”…

I along with many, many others are triggering wildly now, have you no sympathy for us snowflakes?

I’ve been in this industry for about 9 years now, and I’ve been picking up such terms from the “old hands” at my old yardman job.

I would LOVE to try a Eaton twin-splitter.

3 wheeler:

blue estate:
No George cross medal for bravery

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It’s his wife who deserves the medal !

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This agency man is driving one tonight… enjoying it actually. Got country music blasting on Spotify and feel like a real trucker.

Edit it’s vape juice that’s leaked. I’ve not jizzed all over myself because I’m in being Sam the Scania man!

sammym:
This agency man is driving one tonight… enjoying it actually. Got country music blasting on Spotify and feel like a real trucker.

Edit it’s vape juice that’s leaked. I’ve not jizzed all over myself because I’m in being Sam the Scania man!

See! :grimacing:

There are still agency lads and lasses who would enjoy the pleasure of a manual over an auto. :laughing:

That’s not a real manual though… can pull away in third flick the switch and just use it like a car manual.

Come back when you drive a real truck in which you have to change about every 200rpm and start crying when a car needlessly slows down in front of you as you have to start again.

adam277:
That’s not a real manual though… can pull away in third flick the switch and just use it like a car manual.

Come back when you drive a real truck in which you have to change about every 200rpm and start crying when a car needlessly slows down in front of you as you have to start again.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
like a boss… :open_mouth:
youtube.com/watch?v=imhBoE56OEs

sammym:
Edit it’s vape juice that’s leaked. I’ve not jizzed all over myself

It’s ok mate, we believe you…

No seriously, we do. :bulb:
:laughing: