Agency questions and a bit of a blog

Not sure where to start but here goes;

against some of you’re’s advise, I left a full time job driving 7.5t recently because I was finding it difficult to stay legal as far as the driver’s hours are concerned. Basicly, the boss didn’t know anything about the driver’s hours or the wtd and thought I should be able to make deliveries in the same time as the companie’s van drivers :unamused:

Anyway, I left a week ago and went away for a long weekend’s r&r, fully signed with two agencies within two days of getting back and the work’s started coming in already;

I got a phone call yesterday about some non-driving work for next week but turned it down because it sounded like more of a labouring job than anything and I’m not desperate for money yet.
Then fairly early this morning I got another call from the same agency for a day’s driving but unfortunately had to turn it down as I’ve got personal commitments this afternoon :frowning: I just hope I’ve not put him off :confused:

I’ve got a couple of questions though for when I get my first run, apart from 7.5t I’ve no experience and am a bit concerned about it.

Fuel for a start - do you usually get a fuel card with the truck? and ad-blue, can you normally get it with a fuel card and any other advise regarding the stuff?

What do I do with the tacho chart / card (at the end of the shift)? Cards - I’ve got one but have never used it and have never seen one used so any help would be much appreciated.

Another concern is all the bits you don’t get shown when you do your training like how to raise and lower the extra rear axle and when to and general bits like that right down to how to open the curtains and how to close and tension them, I know it sounds stupid but when you’ve never done it - how would you know how to!? :blush: Oh, and what happens if you run out of time? I take it you contact both the agency and the tm?

If you are worried you have put them off then give them a ring on a day you are available (and will be for a couple of days) and let them know you are free, it keeps you in their mind too.

I’d also recommend ringing them every morning until you DO get steady work for them, its not rude or in your face, its just the way the game works, you need to get that foot in the door with them.

Agencies are used to having newbies to the game on and every one I have worked with will always let the company know that you are new. In some way it will all be sorted.
One thing you have to remember with agency work is this:
If its a reasonable size company you are off to work for then your first day/few hours there will probably watching health and safety videos, filling in paperwork and covering their backsides. They don’t normally even let you near a vehicle until you have filled in a forest of paper.

If its a smaller company then they will possibly be tempted to hand you the keys and your work sheet and tell you to get going but in these places there is nearly always someone around to run you through the ropes, and things are often less complicated in these places so you shouldn’t have as much to worry about.

Tacho’s depend what your agency is like, obviously you have to keep them on you for 28 days for legal reasons, but after that they will either ask you to post them direct to the company, or they will be sent to the agency who will forward them on.
There’s plenty of threads on this forum on using digitacho’s so do a search and it will help more than I can.

If you are working for an agency and haven’t been to the customer more than a few times (I.E you don’t know them well and they don’t know you well) then ALWAYS ring the agency first if there is a problem of any nature, it keeps you in their good books and they can really smooth things over if need be. Once you’ve rung them ring the TM at the customer and tell them what is going on.
The agency might not want you to contact themselves, and just go to the TM, thats fine but you need to know their policy, so ask before assuming.

Ad-Blue is a bit of a nightmare to get to be honest with you, but I normally find there is some at the yard, and if you aren’t out tramping then you shouldn’t need it. If you do then ask the TM there and see what arrangements they have, and where you can get it in the local area.

If you have any basic questions then I can highly reccomend the book “Truckers handbook” by Lisa Marie-Melbourne. It shows you how to adjust suspension, curtains, different types of locks, cab layouts, legal info etc etc and it really is a must for agency drivers.
It can be picked up for about seven quid in WH Smiths, or you can get it online.

As I said, agencies are normally pretty good with inexperienced drivers (I should know, I’m one of 'em :wink: ) and if you explain you’ll need talking through some things they will arrange it, they probably have to do it several times a week anyway so don’t be afraid of asking.

The only other thing I’d suggest is that you get their out of hours mobile number, someone will always be on call and you need to make sure you always have a contact there at the end of the phone if you need it.

Hope some of that helps!

Alex

What a good lot of first day and general agency info :smiley: :smiley:
I’ve added a link to this - HERE

This was posted in 2004 but most is relevant today :slight_smile:

Liberace:
What you’ll need on your first day in the workplace - this is the bear minumum required for a day run ie when your not sleeping in the cab overnight (on a night out):
Steel Toecapped Boots
Hi Viz Vest
A pen (believe me, this is important - you need one to fill your tacho out with it ).
Wallet (including cash/cards) obvious I know, but it’s suprising how easy it is to forget.
Mobile 'phone with hands free kit.
Truckers A - Z with bridge hights included.
A copy of the drivers hours law and an understanding of it .
You can add things like lunch and flask if you like - tachos you can nick off your employer.

just to make sure this bit gets read…

gnasty gnome:
All excellent advice.

May I please add one more bit, and it’s VERY important;

ALWAYS take your driving licence (both parts) with you to EVERY assignment!

Many firms will ask the agency specifically for this. I lost count of the number of times I had to fax copies through from the office because the temp had either forgotten or had (allegedly) not been told. If you forget it makes you and the agency look incompetent, and wastes the client’s time because any decent company will of course want to see your licence before you drive their truck.

As said before; if in doubt, ASK.

to cap the excellent advice above ,
if in doubt or just dont know ask another driver to help/guide you about most things.if none about ask in office , but dont be afraid to ask
after 35 years on the job im still asking and learning

I had all those worries also but the best advice is ask.

At a new place everyone has questions as they all have different requirements and remember everybody has had a first day.

Don`t get flustered or worried about things as its more important that you drive safely than anything else.

Maps/Sat Nav or directions in writing are also important, don`t accept left, right, left, passed the post office another left up the hill, they all think that because they have been to a place for years that everyone has been. You cant just swing round when you miss a turn and sods law its ten miles before you can, I do it all the time. :laughing:

You will get tossers in transport from time to time but if you don’t know something make sure you do before you turn a wheel and remember everybody will think the guys a ■■■■■■.

99% of people especially drivers are happy to help and have seen it or did it themselves before so no question is a daft question.

Ad-blue is a bugger to fill sometimes, you have to have the nozzle fully inserted as its magnetic and give it a twist around if it just constantly clicks.

Thanks all for your help, at the end of the day, I’m not thick i.e. I can usually work things out for myself but it’s always daunting going into the unknown. I’m not usually affraid to ask for help but I do preffer to have a go before showing I need help - think that’s just because I’m male though. :laughing:

The run I missed out on today would’ve been ideal really, relatively small firm and relatively simple run so would’ve helped to break the ice a bit. As for digi cards, there’s a rough guide on here somewhere that I’ll print off but from what a driver told me the once it’s pretty self explanitory. Do I get the customer to download the info at the end of the shift?

Ad-blue, as said hopefuly I won’t need to worry about. But how does fuel usually work? If it’s like the job I’ve just left, the fuel card stays with the truck - that right?

Other than that, thankyou very much.

Rog etc, just a suggestion but I think it would be good to run through some of the basics with the trainees at break times - how to fill out a tacho, how to work the suspension, curtains etc. Or the last 15mins of the day maybe?

oh, and seeing as this thread’s becoming more of a resource - what I’ve learned sofar;

You’re not really looking for a “driving agency” as most call it, it’s recruitment agencies who deal with drivers that you’re after.

Usually, when you ring them, they need you to “come in”, you’ll need to have a date/s in mind for that, both parts of your driving license and another form of id.

You need your contact details, so if you don’t know your mobile number either learn it or write it down.

Make sure you’re not gonna need the loo or anything - you’ll be a while :wink:

When you get there, you’ll get lots of forms to fill in - including bank details and national insurance number. along with a short test usually where you need to know about driver’s hours, the basics of the wtd and how to fill a tacho in. One I’ve done also had a few questions about the highway code (which, it turns out, I could do with reading up on :blush: ).

Then, as said, stay in touch with them or you’ll end up at the bottom of the list as it were. I was shown this at the last agency I signed with; They have your name on a spread-sheet, if you don’t ring in to say when you’re available, the week stays blank for you and tends to get ignored unless they’re struggling but if you tell them when you’re available it’s highlighted and the people that give out work tend to go to the highlighted people first :wink:

Then it’s just a case of waiting for a call and keeping in touch, making sure they know you want (and can) work :slight_smile:

Rog etc, just a suggestion but I think it would be good to run through some of the basics with the trainees at break times - how to fill out a tacho, how to work the suspension, curtains etc. Or the last 15mins of the day maybe?

how to fill out a tacho - done daily :slight_smile:
how to work the suspension - done with vehicle check daily :slight_smile:
curtains - If fitted, done as well :slight_smile:

darkseeker:
Thanks all for your help, at the end of the day, I’m not thick i.e. I can usually work things out for myself but it’s always daunting going into the unknown.

Thing is unless your 100% confident you know what you are doing ask advice, espec if it is about securing loads otherwise get you into serious trouble if it goes wrong. Same with using things like fridges make sure you know don’t guess.

Somethings seem like stupid questions, but a stupid question is easilly forgotten, but a stupid act isn’t. Guy who askes how to use a fridge maybe, hear under your breath bloody agency drivers don’t have a clue but be forgotten in 5mins, waste a whole load because you didnt know how to use it, it will be remembered for a long time.

When you go somewhere new as a agency driver ask loads of questions, make your job easier. Ask the guy behind the desk questions, also ask other drivers.

Questions like good first one is “where abouts is the truck” may sound dumb but its better than wandering round a yard at 4am in the pouring rain searching for a truck in a huge yard full of them.

Ask about your run espec other drivers, they may have information you won’t know like someplace where there is a strange way to get into it, or it closes at lunch time, or this other place is good to take your 45min break because they have a cheap canteen, stuff like that makes your job easier.

Ask about fuel, ask any question you are unsure about. Basically say you are new here what do i need to know, don’t want to get to your first drop find you need a pallet shifter and find out there isnt one because you were suppose to sign for one and take it from the warehouse !

Ok being realistic someplaces people will treat you with contempt be no help at all. In that sceanario its simple, you rip the absolute **** outta it. Do as little as possible, drag your hours out, leave truck empty of fuel and at the end of the day say well nobody told me anything thats why it took so long :slight_smile:

Lots of excellent stuff here. I always used to look new firms up before I went just to get some idea of what they did, and where exactly they were located. If they were local I would go have a look the evening before.

Always arrive early — half an hour isn’t too much (you will often be paid from your arrival time anyway) and it gives you plenty of time to look round, have a coffee, listen to the other drivers (though there are always wind-up merchants so don’t believe the tall tales). As said before don’t be embarrassed to say it’s your first day.

Make yourself presentable in uniform type clothes (not shorts, string vest and sandals) and safety boots, and take a high viz vest if you can. Don’t forget to take a couple of biros. Take a flask and sandwiches as well as some change, as you will have no idea of what’s available. Ask about their paperwork when you get it — everyone is different and it aint always obvious. Some firms (like the one I work for) will give you some notes to sort before you load. Find a friendly driver and ask him to help you — As said before he will know all sorts of stuff about the regular drops that can save you considerable grief.

Make a big show of checking the truck before you start it up. If you can’t find the dip stick no one will be surprised. If its pre loaded open it up and have a good look. Don’t move it unless you are happy.

All excellent advice.

May I please add one more bit, and it’s VERY important;

Many firms will ask the agency specifically for this. I lost count of the number of times I had to fax copies through from the office because the temp had either forgotten or had (allegedly) not been told. If you forget it makes you and the agency look incompetent, and wastes the client’s time because any decent company will of course want to see your licence before you drive their truck.

As said before; if in doubt, ASK.

Darn - I meant to say that.

Kenny1975:
Do as little as possible, drag your hours out, leave truck empty of fuel and at the end of the day say well nobody told me anything thats why it took so long :slight_smile:

Then wonder why your not told to go there again :unamused:

darkseeker:
The run I missed out on today would’ve been ideal really, relatively small firm and relatively simple run so would’ve helped to break the ice a bit. As for digi cards, there’s a rough guide on here somewhere that I’ll print off but from what a driver told me the once it’s pretty self explanitory. Do I get the customer to download the info at the end of the shift?

Yes. Some companies have a box in the transport office, and you just stick your card in and it downloads it automatically, and tells you when it’s finished. Other companies, you give your card to the person in the office, and they download it.

There are links on this site to short user manuals on how to use the two most common digital tachographs (Stoneridge and VDO/Siemens); do a bit of searching, and you’ll find them.

For paper tachos, most companies will want to take a photocopy at the end of your shift; you then have to keep it for 28 days, and then you return it either to your agency or to the company you worked for; in my case, I send it to the agency.

darkseeker:
Ad-blue, as said hopefuly I won’t need to worry about. But how does fuel usually work? If it’s like the job I’ve just left, the fuel card stays with the truck - that right?

Depends on the company. Some companies have fuel cards in a holder attached to the truck keys. Some companies leave the card in the truck. Some companies have their own fuel supply in the yard; generally you will have a special key or “button” on the keyring to activate the pump on a nearby control panel, but you may also need another driver “key” or ID number. Just ask the transport office “what do I do about fuel” when you start the shift. If it’s an in-the-yard supply, ask them if you need a code or PIN - it can save a lot of walking up and down the yard between the pumps and the transport office at the end of your shift.

One thing to remember: However you fill up, you will nearly always need the truck’s mileage. If you’re using a “normal” petrol station, make sure you remember it (or note it down) before going to pay - it can save you a long, embarassing walk back to the truck :wink:

Suspension: On a rigid, or the rear wheels of an artic unit, is usually controlled by buttons in the cab. Scanias usually have them on the dashboard below and to the right of the steering wheel; for others, it’s usually a detachable control panel which lives on the floor of the truck to the right of the driver’s seat. You need to press one button to enable manual control (as opposed to automatic “correct height for driving”), then use the “up” and “down” buttons. Remember to re-level and disengage manual mode before driving off.

For trailers, it’s usually a handle near the back of the trailer. Push it in or pull it out to engage control, then turn it left or right for up/down. Again, remember to return it to the normal position so that it self-levels when you’re driving.

peirre:

Kenny1975:
Do as little as possible, drag your hours out, leave truck empty of fuel and at the end of the day say well nobody told me anything thats why it took so long :slight_smile:

Then wonder why your not told to go there again :unamused:

Yeah so what, companies like that wouldnt want invited back.

Got a list of companies i won’t work for through agencies.

If i go into a new place ask some simple basic questions and get told something like “your the driver you should know” or “thats not my job” and that kinda crap screw them.

Got a call at 6am once from agency can you go into ***** another driver never turned up, no probs but i won’t be there till 7am. Get in there chucked keys and some paperwork off you. I said hold on a minute what about this what about that, just get going. Get to first drop no pallet shifter 20 pallets 11 drops call up depot say there ain’t a pallet shifter, told “you should have picked one up in the depot signed for it, since you didnt bother you will have to handball it”.

Not a chance in hell brought it back to the depot, chucked in the keys, set to go home. After some pleading i agreed to go back out. On my way out office guy said just put tacho on rest doing one of the drops should be able to catch up. I just laughed and said yeah right.

I ended up doing 9 of the drops and took it to 14 hours, more complaints when i got back.

Maybe you let companies take the pee pee i don’t, got enough work with regular decent clients through agency. If the guy behind the office had stood with me for 5mins explained how things worked would have no doubt done all 11 drops and been back quicker, thats my point why break your back run about like a headless chicken for some company who can’t even be bothered getting you up to speed on what your doing.

All companies should or shall I say must have a duty of care towards their drivers whether agency or not. This is set out in the new bill. All drivers who are not familiar with a vehicle must be shown how operate the vehicle. This should be kept on file as a paper trail. If the procedures are not complied with and you kill or injure someone , then you can sue them and the H&S exec can shut them down and throw away the key.

So if your’e not sure about anything ask, as they have to provide that duty of care by law.

right, time for a quick update. Firstly though, thanks for all the advise.

I got the trucker’s handbook and, although it’s full of good advise, it didn’t help a great deal with the questions I had but thankfuly it turned out all was much easier than I thought.

To be honest, it’s been very quiet (and I’m now with four agencies) and I’ve been wondering if I’d made a mistake but I had a day’s work yesterday and everything was as easy as it could possibly have been!

I got there a bit early, filled in one form to do with work in the last 28 days and contact details. And was given the keys to an 07 daf CF. Asked how work the curtains and ended up working it out for myself and showing the tm how to do it!! :laughing:

The digi tacho was a piece of p to use and the company had it’s own diesel tank. And the day’s run couldn’t’ve been easier, about 20 mins away - no handball and just to and from there all day.

The truck was great, a bit messy in the cab (builder’s merchant) so I didn’t even need to worry about a few crumbs from my sarnies. And best of all, it was a straight six gearbox so no range changes or anything to worry about :laughing:

So, couldn’t’ve been better for a first solo run, just hope the work speeds up a bit and hopefuly stays fairly straightforeward.

Thanks again everybody!

Glad to hear its going well mate.

Have you been ringing the agencies up every morning half an hour after they open to ask if theres any work?

I know it seems like your a pain in the backside but really its how the game is played, if things are quiet its because the agency are giving the jobs to someone else who’s in their face all the time, not because there isn’t any work - promise!

Alex

So did you have a day at Jacksons then?
Mate of mine has been back on agency recently but has had next to sod all work dispite the local adds crying out for drivers. Hes been doing a bit for Cartwrights on the tatey runs for tosco.

Keep your chin up fella, now they have used you once and you didnt destroy anything you will probably moved half an inch up there ladder so might get a tad more work.

Spot on imp! how’d you guess that!? I was going to do a bit of a diary but it really wouldn’t’ve been very exciting as I just ran back and forth to lincoln enterprise park all day. You ever been to jacksons? God knows how you get out of the gate without taking another ■■■■■■ at it! I saw an 8legger do it and could see how the 4 front wheels steering helped.

Alex, I hate pestering people so I’ve kept it to twice a week roughly but everytime I rang him he seemed to put on a flustered voice and pretend to be stressed once he knew it was me so last week I decided not to bother (he seemed to be messing me about) and low and behold - i get a day’s work :laughing:

But, as said, no damage done and the client seemed really happy so maybe more will find it’s way to me and I’ll get on to him a bit more now :laughing: