No driving for me .... Again!

Second Sunday I’ve been booked and cancelled the day before… Through the same agency and for the same company too…

So, is it the job was cancelled? Or that someone else is doing it for less cash than agreed with me…?

After 12 years, the driver/agency relationship still ■■■■■ me off sometimes.

You cancel, all hell breaks loose…
They cancel “that’s how transport is driver”.

[emoji38]

So boys and girls… West Yorks area. Who are we using and how ■■■■ are they? I won’t say good 'cos none of them are good…?

Your thoughts would be welcome!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Oh the joys of agency! Make the most and take a 3 month holiday to Thailand like the rest of the limpers :grimacing:

Interestingly enough I’m at the opposite end of the agency Spectrum, as I’m booked up for the next 4 weeks with shifts confirmed via the online booking website.
I don’t see any future changes in the pipeline especially as I’ve been on this site over 3yrs, I’m told that they bringing in 5 more trucks in the next few weeks and will need drivers for those, however the agency is struggling to find reliable drivers who are willing to turn up regularly

peirre:
Interestingly enough I’m at the opposite end of the agency Spectrum, as I’m booked up for the next 4 weeks with shifts confirmed via the online booking website.
I don’t see any future changes in the pipeline especially as I’ve been on this site over 3yrs, I’m told that they bringing in 5 more trucks in the next few weeks and will need drivers for those, however the agency is struggling to find reliable drivers who are willing to turn up regularly

That’s probably their issue with me, as I only do ad hoc stuff. Though I can be available for a couple of regular runs each week.

Tbh… it’s not a “no bread on the table” if I dont drive. Just a very handy top up. Still, with rising costs across the board, I could do with actually working occasionally![emoji30]

Agencies who ■■■■ drivers about…because they can, and who can see absolutely nothing wrong with it, …and with no sense of decency,?
Who would have thought it eh?
I’ll stick to my full time unpaid security guard job thanks.

drover:
Oh the joys of agency! Make the most and take a 3 month holiday to Thailand like the rest of the limpers :grimacing:

I’d love the opportunity but for the last 3 years the post Xmas lull hasn 't happened. Holidays saved for the post Xmas lull end up having to be used in March and sometimes carried over into the next year. There’s quite a few of us this week using carried over leave from last year even though it’s not agency policy to carry over unused leave but they’ve had no choice because of demand.

I love being cancelled, I still get paid.

robroy:
Agencies who [zb] drivers about…because they can, and who can see absolutely nothing wrong with it, …and with no sense of decency,?

Rob , you’ve took the words right out of my mouth about my thoughts on Agency’s and their ways .
I don’t have to worry if I’m sat in the yard half a day wondering how much I will get paid or if I have a holiday and wonder if they’ll book me because I’ve dared to have a week off

blue estate:

robroy:
Agencies who [zb] drivers about…because they can, and who can see absolutely nothing wrong with it, …and with no sense of decency,?

Rob , you’ve took the words right out of my mouth about my thoughts on Agency’s and their ways .
I don’t have to worry if I’m sat in the yard half a day wondering how much I will get paid or if I have a holiday and wonder if they’ll book me because I’ve dared to have a week off

To be honest, if you’re full timing it isnt half as bad. It’s when you do ad hoc and part time you get a lot of messing around.

Doesn’t worry me too much, but can be a bit annoying. Hey ho, all part of working part time.

Truckulent:
Second Sunday I’ve been booked and cancelled the day before… Through the same agency and for the same company too…

So, is it the job was cancelled? Or that someone else is doing it for less cash than agreed with me…?

After 12 years, the driver/agency relationship still [zb] me off sometimes.

[emoji38]

So boys and girls… West Yorks area. Who are we using and how [zb] are they? I won’t say good 'cos none of them are good…?

Remember the full time drivers have to do b/h , extra shift , o/t to make a half decent wage , I remember loads where I worked at time kicking off as they were furloughed on 80% of there measly pay , whereas agency were still in full time
Theyl have you believe it’s all wonderful in the world of employed drivers , but just let oking at the amount threatening strike action it’s not
As for stood down I’ve been on agency for I’d guess 3/4 years and never stood down , and Id guess I’m well down this reputation ■■■■■■■■ some agency drivers go out n about , I just do what suits me , tues / wed this week , I don’t work b/h , and to be honest the employed drivers need it far more than I do

I’ll let you in on a little secret…If a full timer asks to do overtime, the company will cancel an agency driver to re-book the extra shift for their own driver.

ETS:
I’ll let you in on a little secret…If a full timer asks to do overtime, the company will cancel an agency driver to re-book the extra shift for their own driver.

Oh I know… Much cheaper - assuming the agency get sufficient notice, otherwise many will still charge - and not pay the driver of course.

Truckulent:

After 12 years, the driver/agency relationship still [zb] me off sometimes.

[emoji38]

So boys and girls… West Yorks area. Who are we using and how [zb] are they? I won’t say good 'cos none of them are good…?

Is No - Neck,s agency still operating?

drover:

I’m just going to drive down to the Algarve in my car in July and park up for a month

blue estate:

robroy:

So much absolute bollox about agencies in two posts, clearly neither of you have ever done it or you’re so limited in your range of skills as drivers, one trick ponies incapable of adapting to a different truck and job with little notice that you were the driver of last resort for the agencies you signed up with so more days than not the phone never rang. You’re only jealous because we get paid more and when it’s sunny like this we can turn around and just decide we don’t want to work that day/week thank you very much. We also don’t have the situation where we want to book a holiday and get told no we can’t because other drivers already booked that week off months ago. You HAVE to work 5 days a week because your boss tells you you do, I get ASKED what I want to work the following week and I’ll get work for every day I say I want to work.

Conor’s response was a little bit blunt, but to a point.
Tbh agency work has changed significantly even before the implementation of pay parity. It’s now possible to make a full time career of it as others on here have made the move to it in recent years. It’s only those who are working irregularly that struggle to find consistent work. This could be because their availability isn’t suited to the client’s requirements,or they’re working for a small agency outfit who inevitably end up doing the crap contracts.
PAYE, holiday pay, guaranteed minimum wages even if you are stood down, and decent sick pay schemes tend to be offered to those full timers like me

Conor:
So much absolute bollox about agencies in two posts, clearly neither of you have ever done it or you’re so limited in your range of skills as drivers, one trick ponies incapable of adapting to a different truck and job with little notice that you were the driver of last resort for the agencies you signed up with so more days than not the phone never rang. You’re only jealous because we get paid more and when it’s sunny like this we can turn around and just decide we don’t want to work that day/week thank you very much. We also don’t have the situation where we want to book a holiday and get told no we can’t because other drivers already booked that week off months ago. You HAVE to work 5 days a week because your boss tells you you do, I get ASKED what I want to work the following week and I’ll get work for every day I say I want to work.

Conor … the gift that keeps on giving! Oh the irony, from someone incapable of doing anything but night trunks up and down the A1 or M6 talking about drivers and their range of skills (or lack of) hahahahahahaha :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I suspect the hook was baited, dangled ready and it was only a matter of time before Conor took it

peirre:
I suspect the hook was baited, dangled ready and it was only a matter of time before Conor took it

Can’t beat a guaranteed catch when fishing! :smiley:

Conor:

blue estate:

robroy:

:laughing: Seriously mate, I thought my ego was through the roof, but you really have some gob on you, :laughing:
I was going to retaliate to your post until I sudenlly realised it was you with your usual belligerent content but , the day I take you or anything you say seriously will be the day I decide it’s time to leave the forum. :smiley:

And the irony of YOU questioning someone’s range of experience in the job, and calling somebody a ‘one trick pony’ is unbelievable, :smiley: … the man who sees himself as some kind of superior trucking authority,.who’s vast and varied experience consists of a nightly run from Howden to Lockerbie . :laughing:
Hardly ‘‘Ice road truckers’’ is it. :laughing: :laughing:
Fyi I have had agency experience, but only to get re acclimatised on rhd trucks before starting a new job, about 13 years ago,.and again fyi I was a offered a full time post with them, but the mundane daily trunk bored the arse off me…so Conor me old mate pipe and smoke. :wink:
So still can’t believe it btw…ME jealous of YOU…? :open_mouth:
Aye right. :laughing: :laughing: