We're agency we can drive anything!

dozy:

Drempels:

trevHCS:
To be honest not too surprised they have issues with that particular manual. Looks like something from outer mongolia - have they hired you an Atkinson or summut!? (Seen one at one of our depots). Thought 4 over 4 was only one these days?

What exactly is wrong with it?

my question exactly , what is wrong with it :question: ,

Once you have got used to the 3 over 3 arrangement the only thing wrong with it is the fact that the splitter switch is on the wrong side of the knob for a right hand drive motor. You are constantly accidentally catching it with your palm whilst moving the lever. Some models do have the splitter switch on the “correct” side of the knob. And until I retired I’d choose a 16 year old motor with a manual box rather than a new motor with auto box anyday.

Anybody remember Scania’s 10 speed box? That one was a bit weird!

axletramp:

dozy:

Drempels:

trevHCS:
To be honest not too surprised they have issues with that particular manual. Looks like something from outer mongolia - have they hired you an Atkinson or summut!? (Seen one at one of our depots). Thought 4 over 4 was only one these days?

Once you have got used to the 3 over 3 arrangement the only thing wrong with it is the fact that the splitter switch is on the wrong side of the knob for a right hand drive motor. You are constantly accidentally catching it with your palm whilst moving the lever. Some models do have the splitter switch on the “correct” side of the knob. And until I retired I’d choose a 16 year old motor with a manual box rather than a new motor with auto box anyday.

Spot on

axletramp:
Anybody remember Scania’s 10 speed box? That one was a bit weird!

I drove a 142 that had that box (I think). Only a few hundred miles, so could be wrong.

If it was a Sed Atk with an upside down Fuller or something they would be totally ■■■■ ed.
The sequence is shown clearly on the gear knob :bulb: , AND it’s full synchro.
Stop bellyaching like tarts, get in the ■■■■ thing …and drive it !! .

Ffs man,.drama queen divas or what :unamused: .

robroy:
If it was a Sed Atk with an upside down Fuller or something they would be totally [zb] ed.
Stop bellyaching like tarts, get in the [zb] thing …and drive it !! .

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Even a few years ago with the various ways of shifting a 16-speed ZF would cause trouble now! Twisty-slidey collars, slap-across, big and small switches… How did we cope?!

dozy:

trevHCS:

h

Be safe be seen, top marks I imagine from the H & S manager, do you always go with Hi Vis trousers?

dozy:

Drempels:

trevHCS:

Unless it’s also got a splitter obviously not enough bleedin gears for me or an 8 speed for that matter. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Well played mate, you’ve got a motor the usual wreckers won’t want to use whilst you’re off shift, and those prepared to drive it will more than likely be capable of returning it in the same condition they found.

It’s not a box i personally like, because when cold especially it can baulk quite badly split shifting down (though i can’t remember which gear it was that usually played up), though i too would have it in preference to the usual auto in that model.

Same as any strange box once you have played a few tunes on it you soon get used to it

personally i’ve always thought that 3 over 3 was a wretched affair the 10 speed range change was much better,well at least in the 112 i drove, the 5 plus splitter was ok , but i’ve never really found a decent scania manual box . we had a 92 at corby that was improved by the addition of a road ranger box, my dad bought a 110 and the gearstick broke in 2 , and some of the 80’s we had at ferrymasters, well the actual gearbox broke up. automation was the best thing that happened for scania gearboxes.
scania and volvo both came up with this 3 over 3 bollox about the same time , lord knows why,perhaps they were jealous of the twin splitter 12 speed. i did once sit in on a meeting at salvesens with representatives from daf and volvo and asked why seeing as they both had 12 litre engines punting out around the same horsepower ( 320 at the the time) and torque , the daf had a 16 speed zf and the volvo made do with a 12 , and why on earth the poor old daf 75 32 tonner with diddly squat horsepower only had a 9 speed when it needed all the help it could get. the silence for an answer was stunning.

3 wheeler:
It’s his wife who deserves the medal !

One The size of a dustbin lid

Juddian:
Well played mate, you’ve got a motor the usual wreckers won’t want to use whilst you’re off shift, and those prepared to drive it will more than likely be capable of returning it in the same condition they found.

It’s not a box i personally like, because when cold especially it can baulk quite badly split shifting down (though i can’t remember which gear it was that usually played up), though i too would have it in preference to the usual auto in that model.

That’s what cold mornings and straight pipes are for, you can’t beat blipping ‘er on the way out of the yard! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I have this truck for 2 day its very good better than auto it was Stobart driver who refuse drive truck when im there

robroy:
If it was a Sed Atk with an upside down Fuller or something they would be totally [zb] ed.
Stop bellyaching like tarts, get in the [zb] thing …and drive it !! .

Spoken like a proper driver !

Imagine the horror, when having just got used to the Scania box, they give you a Volvo.

It’s the same but not the same! Aaaaaaaagh!

Ok young Polish girl planners give to you some gift.

First artics I drove were Scania 3 over 3’s at Canute.

Cracking gearbox IMO. Used to deliver roof trusses on a low loader and the manual was much better on the building sites than the auto.

Think I’ll stick with my auto, thanks.

youtu.be/8mBgrsS5rDU

eagerbeaver:
First artics I drove were Scania 3 over 3’s at Canute.

Cracking gearbox IMO. Used to deliver roof trusses on a low loader and the manual was much better on the building sites than the auto.

Likewise I had em at Wilkos Worksop which was another Canute contract at the time