Welsh Border and Mid Wales Hauliers 1950's onwards

No - not going to Kelsall this year unfort. Too much on!

Must get over to the Griffiths again though -

Hello Pete ,i would say that ERF is ex Bass Burton on Trent , those colours are very similar to that of Alf Arrowsmith from Market Drayton ,he had an ERF like that one ,thank you Trevor .
[/quote]
Morning Trevor,
I’m sure that it was an Ind Coop motor now you mention Burton, I was talking to Russell,who owns it now, and he mentioned the brewery and I think it was based in South Wales when a recovery motor, Cheer’s Pete
[/quote]
Here’s the ERF as a wrecker:
MFA 297 Hills of Tredegar by Huw Morgan, on Flickr
[/quote]
HI Fryske. Iirc the ERF was Hill’s last wrecker. After Harry Hill died the business didn’t last long. I remember a four wheel RL wrecker, followed by a six wheel AEC x British Dredging tipper then the ERF. Over the years the towing legislation changed and the ulw of the wrecker had to be of a certain weight to tow heavier coaches. Not sure if they needed an eight wheeler though! They never ran double deckers.
My cousin did his diesel fitting apprenticeship there, back in the early 70’s. Brilliant bunch of old style fitters all as mad as hatters. Great social life too.
Thanks for the photo and memories.

Regards Paul

A few more.
Oily

Dave Richard 34390530794_ad1bd42ca7_rsk.jpg

Herefords. Mark Hobbs 8743765091_0d9c21cc6d mh _k.jpg

Herefords Richard 34708608893_e6f469f906_rsk.jpg

Herefords Richard 34682826834_e8b08bd518_rs k.jpg

Herefords Richard 33367671903_e71788da38rs_k.jpg

Shrops Richard 30366564976_a7493046ae_rs k.jpg

Thanks to Andy Breeden.
Oily

Shrops Andrew Breeden 26672588333_1737e53fc2_abo.jpg

Couple more.
Oily

Hi Dave, it’s great to read some of these posts. I used to live in and around Knighton. I remember Roberts, Brisbane, Tony Gough, Roy Edwards MA Evans, A&E Jones, the family haulier at the garage just outside Knighton on the Ludlow road, name escapes me just now.

I drove coils at Lloyds of Ludlow, and at Graham Middleton at Llandrindod. Driving timber out of Western Softwoods at Newbridge, and lamb to Parkers Abbatoir in Northampton after going round markets. Drove an old Seddon Atkinson at GT’s came back one day and he said he had bought me a new truck, it was a Volvo F88 240 hammerite light blue with a red stripe if I remember right. I had bought Charlie Watts old house (dairy) just by the entrance to the Radco. I started driving for Edwin Shirley Trucking in London, doing music tours all over Europe, and met a Swedish girl, been living over here the last 28 years. Get back to Knighton every now and then, a lot has changed. :slight_smile: Would Neil Richards mind if I downloaded a couple of his GT Middleton pics?

Enclose a pic of me parked at home in Knighton with my regular truck at that time which was B378.

Cheers Henry

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Henry Barker:
Hi Dave, it’s great to read some of these posts. I used to live in and around Knighton. I remember Roberts, Brisbane, Tony Gough, Roy Edwards MA Evans, A&E Jones, the family haulier at the garage just outside Knighton on the Ludlow road, name escapes me just now.

I drove coils at Lloyds of Ludlow, and at Graham Middleton at Llandrindod. Driving timber out of Western Softwoods at Newbridge, and lamb to Parkers Abbatoir in Northampton after going round markets. Drove an old Seddon Atkinson at GT’s came back one day and he said he had bought me a new truck, it was a Volvo F88 240 hammerite light blue with a red stripe if I remember right. I had bought Charlie Watts old house (dairy) just by the entrance to the Radco. I started driving for Edwin Shirley Trucking in London, doing music tours all over Europe, and met a Swedish girl, been living over here the last 28 years. Get back to Knighton every now and then, a lot has changed. :slight_smile: Would Neil Richards mind if I downloaded a couple of his GT Middleton pics?

Enclose a pic of me parked at home in Knighton with my regular truck at that time which was B378.

Cheers Henry

Morning Henry,
Dave the Renegade sadly passed away over a year ago mate, a mine of information in your area lost there I’m sad to say, Neil Richards is on Facebook I have had a rattle on there with him, Cheer’s Pete

pete smith:

Henry Barker:

Cheers Henry

Morning Henry,
Dave the Renegade sadly passed away over a year ago mate, a mine of information in your area lost there I’m sad to say, Neil Richards is on Facebook I have had a rattle on there with him, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Pete, sorry to hear that, that’s sad. Reading some of his posts was a real trip down memory lane, especially in the mid Wales area. I was an import! Born in Devon but lived many years in Dorset, my love life took me to Knighton as it did again years later to Sweden! Always think of that area as my second home.

A couple of Potters, N.M.P,

A couple from Welland show last weekend,

i have struggled for ages to try and post dave bless him had a lot of my pics and i dont know what he has put on or where there is nothing i would like better than to see this thread keep going as dave had such a love of border history and what he didnt know wasnt worth knowing he is very sadly missed he knew more about me than i know about my self but i find computers difficult and i am compleatly lost trying to access this site

i have been trying for ages to find pics of knills transport from late 60s to about late 70s before i was there they run aec mandators mk 5s and erfs mostly ex brs i have asked all the ex drivers drivers still about and nobody has any the only ones i have are the dodges when new and scrap mandators in the corner of the spare parts scrap heap and one of an 8 wheeler behind the petrol punps half hidden they used to sub steel through gwynne bowen also has anybody got pics of b&c oswestry f88s they had 2 and were the first i ever saw i think the reg were lux f or g they also had 86 they were red used to haul steel south wales up to north

8 wheeler behind pumps

neil rich:
8 wheeler behind pumps

Morning Neil,
I can remember Dave posting a lot of your pictures and yes he was a wealth of knowledge on all the hauliers from your area,
The picture of the garage I take is the one now at Crossgates with the Spar shop and cafe? Cheer’s Pete

hi pete i find posting on this site difficult for some reason and yes the pic is of old garage the new shop part was a rugby club in north manchester a gang of us went up there and took it down and bought it back on a couple of trailers it was sectional have got a pic of it on trailers

i dont know if these have been posted by dave but this was knills back in the days sorry if they are not interesting

early 70s

early 60s 8 wheeler octopus over road