Anyone know this Volvo F series thats still working on logs?

Yes it is as i was going northbound on the A34 today 26th Oct and i caught him up going up over Gore Hill he was loaded with a load of oak.But once he got over the top he was down the other side like nhis ■■■ was on fire, i couldn;t catch him in my Merc. Regards Todd.

wagonpics.com/allsorts2page24.htm

This guy came to a Farm I used to live on in Verwood a few years back to remove some big trees with thsi splendid old Volvo. Great to see it still working, looks like a tag axle has been added, altho why no mudguards? Anyway I took some nice photos at the time of the guy loading it up etc and said I’d give him a copy next time I saw him, however we moved shortly after. I did see him on the dual carriageway going past Ringwood a few months back but he was going the wrong way. I think he said he was from the Gloucester or Shrewsbury area. Anyone know any more?

Can’t say I know him, but if he’s from Shrewsbury then the chances are he’s putting round timber into Kronospan at Chirk. As we have motors on contract there, I’ll ask the boys, and see what they know.

Thanks for that!

He’s still about, I think he is local to the south coast, he is regular on the M3,but I have seen him up on the A1 by york!

timthebus:
He’s still about, I think he is local to the south coast, he is regular on the M3,but I have seen him up on the A1 by york!

And I’ve seen it a couple of times this year on the A34 between Winchester & Newbury - some machine!

Looks like the one i saw once this week and once last week at roughly the same area, on the A1(M) on the 4 lane stretch just below Peterboro, he was northbound both times and loaded both times.

I’ve asked my boys about this Volvo, and they haven’t seen him for a while, but have asked them to look out for him, and if possible , get hold of a contact number for him.
The Volvo in the picture is a Shropshire registered truck, and is ex Cadwallader of Oswestry.

Kate:
I’ve asked my boys about this Volvo, and they haven’t seen him for a while, but have asked them to look out for him, and if possible , get hold of a contact number for him.
The Volvo in the picture is a Shropshire registered truck, and is ex Cadwallader of Oswestry.

That would be great, thanks. Yeah I’m sure the guy said he was from Shropshire, but I think he carries a lot of timber from down this way given the amount of sightings. I believe that third axle is a tag axle and not driven IIRC.

I am pretty sure that the truck in question operates out of a timber yard just outside of Stratford-upon-Avon, the drivers name is Bob, a friend of mine has done a lot of work on it, I will find out more next week.

The Volvo does live in Stratford upon Avon, and is owned by Bob Carmichael who regularly i.e. drives it nationwide on timber haulage every week. The tag axle was fitted by Volvo from new and hydraulically lifts. It is rated at 290hp but my friend that regularly maintains it says its tweaked to more like 320hp. Bob is also known to drive big yankee cars!! His late boss owned the truck from new and left it in his will to Bob.

Kate:

Kate, who was the fellar that ran an 88 + Tautliner over that way, green & white, and the bloke wore a baseball cap, was it 3 letters like amg or summat?

diggerrus:
The Volvo does live in Stratford upon Avon, and is owned by Bob Carmichael who regularly i.e. drives it nationwide on timber haulage every week. The tag axle was fitted by Volvo from new and hydraulically lifts. It is rated at 290hp but my friend that regularly maintains it says its tweaked to more like 320hp. Bob is also known to drive big yankee cars!! His late boss owned the truck from new and left it in his will to Bob.

Brilliant work mate!! I remember him telling me about his big yank motors too! Any chance you can PM me a contact address or phone number so I can send up some copies of my pics to him? Many many thanks.

Aint this forum great ? :slight_smile:

i saw what must be the same one on the A1 n/b at st.neots yesterday morning, seem to think it had VOLVO written on the headboard though? same one or are there 2 still about, both on round timber i wonder? be a huge coincidence!

The vehicle in the picture is a 73 - if it was a year older would it get the free tax disc. Is the free rule relevant to commercial vehicles or just cars??

cogob:
The vehicle in the picture is a 73 - if it was a year older would it get the free tax disc. Is the free rule relevant to commercial vehicles or just cars??

Historic vehicles can get the free disc, but only if used unladen.

88 deffinatly still goin strong! Saw him this morning going over shutford 5 turns. Towards Epwel and he was steaming along. Think he is pulling timber out of the area. I talk to my mate a mins he mite know more as he has got an 88 of his own and is local.Seems to be alot around this area! Reckons hes on international licence as roumour has it hes going out to Portugal with timber.[/b]

I saw Bob coming out of Southampton today, unfortunately I was the wrong side of the motorway! I also saw a lovely old P series Scania (an 82 I think) six wheeler with a small container on the back heading into the docks - it was factory blue with the yellow red and orange stripes like they used to use in the early 80s adverts - anyone know that wagon? 24 tonner I guess, unless it sometimes pulls a drawbar.

ghinzani:
I saw Bob coming out of Southampton today, unfortunately I was the wrong side of the motorway! I also saw a lovely old P series Scania (an 82 I think) six wheeler with a small container on the back heading into the docks - it was factory blue with the yellow red and orange stripes like they used to use in the early 80s adverts - anyone know that wagon? 24 tonner I guess, unless it sometimes pulls a drawbar.

Yep, I saw him too! I’ve seen the Scania a couple of times, but I’ve no idea who onws it - I’ve never seen it with a trailer though.

The one that I really want to stop and photograph in Southampton is the green Scania unit liveried as “Tigger Transport”, and suitably decorated with pics of Tigger. I believe that it comes from Burnham-on-Sea.

There used to be a Sed Ak 4-11 up and down to Southampton decorated with Wallace & Gromit figures, but I suppose that it’s dissolved in the rain by now.

The scania is driven by a welshman,I think that he subs for Smarts,the badge on the front says that it is a 112,I think that it is D reg.