Anyone know this Volvo F series thats still working on logs?

timthebus:
The scania is driven by a welshman,I think that he subs for Smarts,the badge on the front says that it is a 112,I think that it is D reg.

saw it again this morning, northbound on the A34. Although it was going the other way, it didn’t look like it was fitted with a drawbar coupling

there is a book written regarding this truck it is written by maurice h sanders (saunders) not sure. i am not sure what it is called. i have seen this truck parked in bridge of earn near perth in scotland. with regard to Hp would the grill not suggest that it was originally a 240. im only 20 so i might be wrong

PS talking about the volvo F88 not the scania

Maurice has written three or four books about round timber and it’s transportation and I believe he did mention F88s in one of them (if not more).

I’ve just been to the bookcase ferreting out a book for someone and I can’t be bothered going back again to see which one of Maurice’s it is - I’ll look tomorrow and post the result on here.

yeah the 88 has been all over the country.the book i have heard about but i dont know wht it is called does anyone know. the 88 has gone to volvo for repair to the conpressor so dont know when its going to been on the road again.

Dexter:
yeah the 88 has been all over the country.the book i have heard about but i dont know wht it is called does anyone know. the 88 has gone to volvo for repair to the conpressor so dont know when its going to been on the road again.

Don’t worry, it’s back in action! It was heading south on the A34 between Newbury and Winchester at 8 o’clock this morning, and making excellent progress.

Saw it today at Leicester Forest east heading south at 1400 with what else but a load of dead trees :laughing:

I would love to take a look at this legendary machine :sunglasses:

380streamline:
I would love to take a look at this legendary machine :sunglasses:

Bob Carmichael is usually at the The Classic and Retro shows at Gaydon, with the wagon loaded ready for work the following Monday.

Thanks for the lightning quick reply, I have the Truck and Driver feature on the truck, and have seen it once on the road :slight_smile:

All you lot spotting him all over the place, hope the poor sod doesn’t want to park up where he shouldn’t on a dodgy night out… :unamused:

Gary Hunter:

bestbooties:
So? Let’s see the pics then!

What?

Oh! Yes, sorry! :slight_smile:

[/img]

This volvo hails from Gloucester go to South Wales hauliers and ask pete359 he knows the guy and where he from hope that helps cheers John

Hiya its a pity someone never kept a record of all the load weights she,s carried over the years…
quick add up 1load a day 20 ton x 5 days 100 ton x 50 weeks 5000 ton x 41 years =205,000 tons.
shes moved some gear working on 20 ton,i bet she can carry 25 ton plus and done more than one
a day…now how much fuel…he he he no chance.
John

If this is the one I think it is, his wife runs a snack van in a big layby on the Fosse near Moreton-in-Marsh and has a picture of this F88 painted on the side of her van. I would guess they must live somewhere in that area, which would tally with the many sightings on the A34.

Steve

Ste46:
If this is the one I think it is, his wife runs a snack van in a big layby on the Fosse near Moreton-in-Marsh and has a picture of this F88 painted on the side of her van. I would guess they must live somewhere in that area, which would tally with the many sightings on the A34.

Steve

You are correct, he’s from Atherstone on Stour, Warwickshire.
Cheers Dave.

Oops, double post.

Bob used to load us with logs for Italy back in my Punchards days. He said that the F88 was the newest thing he owned, trailer is from 1970, his motorbike and car are both mid 60’s.

All, for more information about this truck and my father Bob Carmichael please see September’s issue of Truck and Driver you will find a 4 page interview and probably answers to your many questions!!! Many thanks.

I saw it in the queue for the A14 on the south bound M6 on Tueday/Wednesday this week, but it was empty, not a log in sight.

Bob1:
All, for more information about this truck and my father Bob Carmichael please see September’s issue of Truck and Driver you will find a 4 page interview and probably answers to your many questions!!! Many thanks.

I really enjoyed meeting him when he came to the farm in Verwood a few years ago, great wagon and a really entertaining storyteller - a proper Knight of the Road!