R j roberts - holyhead

Dug out an old pic whilst i was at my Dads today.

L499FFV was new to R J Roberts of Holyhead (Owned then by Rawcliffes). Roberts were then the hauliers for Gwynedd Shipping, with Stan Rawcliffe running the traffic office. Dad got L499 new as a replacement for C91 HBV which was a 112.

Dad used to have me polish the under bumper pipe as a kid!

Gwynedd then bought the haulage operation in house and had the scania’s rebranded in their own scheme, L499 was painted and had a full air kit added too.

N395 GHG and N396 GHG (Both of which i had as my own when i started in 2001) were the first delivered in GSL colours. Pictured below when i got my first new Volvo.

After this they “treated” the guys to 124-360 P cabs, with some drivers hanging on to their 113’s until the bitter end!!! Volvo’s then replaced the fleet entirely.

Not sure how the hell i coped at 44 tonne with 360bhp, always used to love taking a full load of Aluminium to Bridgenorth up the hill at Much Wenlock, if u got that wrong you were in trouble!! Now with a 480bhp i-shift a novice wouldn’t think twice about attacking it! We had drivers who wouldn’t go that way! Another lad used to stop at the bottom, put her in 2 low and set of at 5mph all the way up!

Anyhow, i’m waffling now…

Nice pics Gaz,remember seeing Roberts wagons at Prees Heath at the Midway or the Raven,still see Gwynedd these days.
Cheers Dave.

me too remember them up and down the a49