Weekend only work - Midlands

sammym:

ROG:
£12.50 = lgvtheory.co.uk/cpc-modules/mod … e-studies/

Cheers - I couldn’t find that on your guide. Either I missed it or it would be a really useful addition :slight_smile: I think case studies is a horrible one - as it’s hard to know what to expect. So most people would be happy to pay the price of a couple of pints to get some experience and practice. I’m signing up now.

I have now added it - thank you for the suggestion :smiley:

I’m updating this both so I can look back and see what I was thinking - and also because it might be useful for anyone who has similar issues as me.

I have been a bit worried about the proximity of my theory test to me training. I was meant to be doing the theory on the 3rd and start training on the 9th. If I had a problem or failed I would have very little chance of fixing it. It was explained to me that this wasn’t recommended and I should/could book the training later.

So I’ve been searching for cancellations. And now have my theory test next Tuesday on the 24th. If I fail this there is a really good chance that I can get another test before training. There are a few useful things for people who might be in a similar situation. You can check up to three test centres at once. And tests do come up last minute.

I still have to try and get an earlier CPC test - but if I do fail that I’m only losing out on the cost of the CPC assessment - which isn’t as extreme. And I don’t think I’ll fail either. If I can get an earlier CPC appointment I will.

Random question for Pete/ROG - how long before theory and the practical test is required? Can you do it the day before? I’m not planning on doing this - but it does give me even more slack.

I have never known a trainer book a test before they have proof that the theory has been passed and the test can only be cancelled at least 3 working days before it is due - think I have that right

Technically the theory test could be passed in the morning and the practical take place in the afternoon. But it would be highly unlikely. I have had someone pass a theory test the day before a practical. ROG is correct in saying the test has to be cancelled 3 clear working days in advance. But that’s not the same as buying the test direct. As a test centre, we have our tests virtually guaranteed. We could, in theory, cancel a test on one day and obtain a refund on our prepaid fee. Because the examiner cant be deployed anywhere else, we can then buy the test again at very short notice.

But none of this is advisable and I would always recommend that the theory test is done and dusted before the practical is organised. To do the above is verging on an abuse of the system and this would inevitably cause bad feeling (at the very least) with DVSA. It’s not a path we’d want to pursue.

The advice given on looking for cancellation theory tests is sound and I would commend that to other newbies where it will relieve pressure.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
I have never known a trainer book a test before they have proof that the theory has been passed and the test can only be cancelled at least 3 working days before it is due - think I have that right

If the person paying pays the whole lot up front - and then states in writing all is lost if they don’t have a pass then they will. I’m in a weird situation where I have time before xmas to do this. After that taking time off in the week becomes next to impossible. So I took a chance - and have been revising quite a lot.

It’s a calculated gamble based on the fact that I’m pretty confident that I can pass the theory. The driving parts I’m much less confident about.

The driving parts I’m much less confident about.

Fear not! You’ll get all the help and advice you need to get you through. Concentrate on the theory first and don’t get distracted!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Theory now done! Took about 10mins and got 98%. I couldn’t be bothered to check my answers as I knew I’d passed.

Just got the case studies to do.

Out of interest - it said on the back of the form I’d get an email with my theory certificate number (I’ve passed both the hazard and the multiple choice) - but it’s not come through yet. Is it usually quick?

On a side note - the questions in the actual test are similar to the ones in ROG’s link to 1000 free questions. However they have changed the wording around a bit and there is a lot more emphasis on maintenance of the truck. If you have even the most basic understanding of mechanics you’ll be fine with it though. By basic I mean knowing that changing the cambelt is to stop the engine being damaged as apposed to making the headlights work better. Overall the closest questions to the ones in the test come from an app which has the latest offical DVLA ones - given it covers the hazard as well I think it’s woth it for £10.

I don’t recall getting an email. Might have missed it though.

With a score that high you shouldn’t have any problems with the case studies.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

I did quite a bit of weekend work not too long ago. Mainly at Culina in Bilston. Easy work, but the transport manager put me off going on. I didn’t need to unwarranted aggro so left it, also by that time kids were growing up so I needed to be around on weekend. I was dong this on top of a 9-5. So in summary yes there is work. I was getting 12.50 p/h - good luck

Well I won’t hopefully ever have to touch the Official DVSA guide to driving goods vehicles. As I’ve managed to pass the case studies. I found it pretty tough actually. And wasn’t sure I had passed. The questions are not hard but they are a bit ambiguous. I got 48/50 which I am happy with. Truth be told I’d be happy with 40/50 as I’m less than impressed with the test. I found it mostly irrelevant and hugely biased towards making you memorize useless information, and parroting the DVLA’s latest bee in their bonnet (cyclists and eco driving).

In the end my technique was to not bother reading their ‘case studies’ - as for most of the questions you don’t need the information. And when you do it’s easier to scan the text for the relevant bits. There was a ratio question which I had to think about for a moment. Why on earth a truck driver needs to work out that ratio without the use of a calculator is beyond me. However for anyone who gets the question the answer is 3:2. You might also get an obscure question relating to double manning drivers hours - and the answer there is 9 hours in 30 hours. I’m only saying those as I think they are unfair questions as they are so far removed from what a cat C driver is likely to need to know.

Now another piece of advice is to NOT get the case studies which is in this thread. It’s really nothing life the case studies which you will get in the test. All revision is good I suppose - but there is another one which is more realistic called drivingtheory4all. I only got that last night but it was a lot closer to the real thing. It costs £5.50 more but is much much better. However both the only questions ask totally random and obscure things which are not in the real test. Things like ‘what is the name for the legislation related to the carriage of animals’ there was nothing like that in the case studies exam proper.

Anyway - I’m looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend before starting my training next Thursday with Tim who is one of Pete’s trainers. I am very much looking forward to giving the driving ago after being bored senseless reading that book!

Peter Smythe:
There is work available in all the areas you mention. It’s always easier with CE rather than just C but it’s still possible. From what you describe it sounds though agency is the way forward. Whichever licence you hold, you’ll be up against the lack of experience issue. But this isn’t insurmountable though could be a nuisance on occasions.

If you’re looking for training, you might like our current offer:

1:1 training
New or very nearly new training vehicle
Fully qualified and registered instructor
Pre-booked driving test at our private test centre on site
Full use of driving test site facilities for your practice
Test fee
Vehicle for test
VAT
Insurance
Mod 4 training
Mod 4 test
Vehicle for Mod 4 test

If you live more than 70 miles from NG17 3FW, you will also get free accommodation for the duration of your course.

The Mod 4 will take place during the time you are with us for CAT C but wont affect your CAT C training time.

TOTAL cost £1260.

To take advantage of this offer, simply call 01623 555661. You will be asked for £200 deposit with the balance due 2 weeks prior to training. You can negotiate your course dates at the same time.

Offer applies to new bookings only.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Do you offer some kind of finance offer with that Pete?
ATB,
Tommy.

I thought I’d update this.

I really enjoyed the training. And I liked my instructor Tim. He was great. And he pointed out all my weaknesses - not least pulling up and getting close to lamp posts. He warned me about 5 times in my training. I also had a habit of not checking me left mirror when overtaking.

CPC training was actually good. It’s not the most exciting topic - but the instructor for that who is a bloke with a newcastle accent managed to make it fun and had me in stitches at points. The examiner Kenny is a really sound bloke and I managed to pass that easily with 100%.

So I did the driving test today. And I failed epically! And managed to get a dangerous fault. For hitting the mirror with a lamp post when pulling over and the examiner having to push it back out. Apart from that I got 6 minors. And I thought I’d failed the test about 4 times. So was pleased that I would have passed if it wasn’t for the mirror incident. I went through two red lights. One I really couldn’t have stopped and one I potentially could have. The examiner said that she let it go as it was a 50/50.

It was annoying as I’d pulled in at exactly the same spot twice and Tim has warned me how close I got. The lad before me failed on going through a 7.5t limit, but only had 2 minors. I think that is unfair to him - as the reality is that 99% of drivers will have a satnav which shows them speed limits and weight limits. I’m not saying you don’t need to look out - but in a pressurized test environment, small things can be missed. I genuinely felt sorry for him - as we had chatted over the last couple of days and I really wanted him to pass.

The reality is that could have been someone’s head and I could have caused them brain damage. So I think it’s a lesson I’ll never repeat so I’m glad about that. And can’t complain at all. I deserved to fail today - and only had myself to blame. But if I’d listened to my instructor a bit more probably would not have.

But anyway - resit booked for the middle of December. My partner will be working at QMC hospital in Nottingham then so I’ll be able to have a weekend with her before doing the test on Monday morning. I hope I’m less stupid next time.

I feel for you Sam, I’ve been in your shoes. It’s so guttering when you see you didn’t pass all because of a single silly mistake. You know where you’ve gone wrong and you’ll be able to rectify that with practice so don’t be too upset pal.