New career start and advice needed

Hi I’m completely green at moment to this line of work so I’m looking for some info on how much roughly it would cost to do my cat 1 + 2 licenses together and any trusted company to do the training in South Wales area?? I’m already in full time work so I’m hoping to maybe do part time work first like weekends and get a feel for the job and see if it is for me and the money that could be earned.If I enjoy then I will go full time as I really don’t want to be stuck in a factory for another forty years. Hopefully someone can give me some advice thanks.

Working weekends between your regular will limit you to one saturday every two weeks I believe because your other job counts as other work.

Radar19:
Working weekends between your regular will limit you to one saturday every two weeks I believe because your other job counts as other work.

Well that’s something I’ve learned already. If I passed and there’s enough of a opportunity I would go full time. I’m confused at moment you always see company’s saying there’s hundreds of job vacancies available for new drivers but then you read on net drivers saying they have been out of work for months??Are there really a lot of jobs available or are people fussy■■?

There are jobs available for new drivers but they will be the hard/crap ones that the experienced drivers won’t do, it will involve cage delivery and hand balling, I passed class 2 in March, cpc in May and have a full time class 2 job to start when I’ve worked my notice, companies like brakes, Palmer and Harvey and 3663 will give you a start but it will be hard graft!

If it’s what you want to do long term then stick with it, do the less desirable jobs for 18 months to 2 years to get the experience then the world is your oyster, cost for everything from medical to pass class 1 should be around £2000-2500.

Good luck
A fellow noob

Thanks for the advice nice to hear. I’ve got a plan of attack I’m going to apply for everything in January where I will have my car paid off(another debt out of way haha) and il have full holidays to take from my current job to allow me to do the training. In mean time il look at local companies for prices .

Word of advice apply in December as January is flat as a witches ■■■ work wise due to the post Xmas new year quiet period.
If your applying locally jump in the car and knock on doors,one door knocked is worth 10 posted cv,firms think taking the time to go see them shows your willing and if there is nothing doing they might know some where that is taking on if you post your cv they think oh and usually end up in the bin.

Jeff.

I’ve be doing a lot of research as like yourself I am thinking about a change of career to go to CAT C then C+E. Again the job situation is the tripping point - the can’t get work unless experience routine. A couple of places for training I’ve seen advertise possible work straight after passing. Eddie Stobarts at £2400+VAT offer an interview with a local ops manager and DST training in Sheffield offer an interview with Sports Direct. I know from a former work colleague he got work with Sports Direct straight away after passing. I think it all starts with a decent training school. Someone with a wealth of experience will have built up some contacts and thats a good start. Plus CVs will get binned or filed away. Go into the transport office with your fresh license and ask to speak to the traffic manager. It will put you in a pole position as they can see what you physically looklike and rather than advertise a potential job if they like you they will possibly take you on. I know of someone who got the C+E and ended up doing crap tipper CAT C work for a couple of weeks, then port runs with a company who took on newbies C+E for another couple of weeks. By word of mouth he heard a major chilled firm were taking on for C+E. The experience was a downfall but the traffic manager said lets check your driving, jump into a cab and both of us will go a little run round, after 30 mins he was offered the job.

In my area I live I have got Stobarts Tesco Chesterfield depot a mile away, Wilko’s (Wilkinsons) and B+Q’s distribution centre in Worksop 10 miles away, Sports Direct Main Depot is about 10 miles. A little further afield is Aldi’s distribution centre about 20 miles away. I know 2 of them are taking on at the moment so there should be a job out there somewhere. Aldi I have read on their site will set you on via an agency for the first couple of weeks and then transfer you to their books if good. Its also interesting to read on their site that if you only have a Class 2 then there may be opportunities to achieve a Class 1… finally a company who wants to invest in people. £11 or so days and £13.50 or so nights 40 hours wk/5 days.

I’ve got a couple of debts to clear first in the coming months in which time I will do the medical and theory first and then use my next 2 weeks off work to get down to the physical training.

Thanks for the detailed post. Most company’s will sort your medical,apply for your provisional won’t they?? Il apply in December as my car is paid off in first week. There’s no point me applying for a provisional myself right now I mean is there?? If a company will do it all for one price .

I did mine myself, downloaded the medical foem and booked, used drivers Medicaid and was about £55, sent license application off, booked and did theroy and mod 2 my self, all straight forward to do and you can do it at your on pace in your own time, companies at do it for you, but may charge, I know one of the training schools I looked at dos it for you but added a fiver to each for themselves! It’s all down to what is best for you! I wanted to get mine underway adapt but hadn’t made up my mind on which trainer to use and I couldn’t do assessment drives until I had my provisional. Don’t rush to use the first company that will do it all for you, and don’t jump for the cheapest, shop around and find the best fit for you!

So really I could look to order provisional and do the theory In my own time before I look for a training company in December/January and could save a couple of quid along the way?? What’s best to get for theory revision?what site did you download medical off?? Medicaid doesn’t come up some reason.

gov.uk/government/publicati … essment–2

I got an all in one theroy and hazard perception disk fromamazon, worked for me!

Ah nice one mate il check it out. Cheers.