Weather

In the recent weather i read that a family with babies was invited to spend the night in a hgv as they were all stuck in the snow,it made me wonder why with todays technology that cars are not fitted with night heaters,might sound daft saying this and it would probably cost more for a new car but if it could be done it would be worth it in bad weather conditions where you are stuck in your car,all it would need is a small unit that could be fitted between the seats,connected up and turned on by a switch on the dash like in our hgvs.

Or don’t run round on empty so can run the engine and heater in the once every few year event

kcrussell25:
Or don’t run round on empty so can run the engine and heater in the once every few year event

Yeah,guess your right,car drivers do have a habit of doing that

truckman020:

kcrussell25:

My girlfriend is terrible for it! Bad weather was forecast well in advance and people should have taken that as warning to prepare things like that

kcrussell25:

truckman020:

kcrussell25:

My girlfriend is terrible for it! Bad weather was forecast well in advance and people should have taken that as warning to prepare things like that

Or stay at home :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Webasto pre heaters and timed heaters are more common on diesel cars and higher end cars.

The Rover 75 and Ztt had an option for a Webasto Pre heater to pre warm the coolant and also a timer could be fitted so you could warm the interior of the car up.

Basically the same as night a heater in essence.

They I believe are more common on diesels in colder climates, with the amount of cold weather we get here they are generally not required.

You can a retro fit night type heater for cars if you mechanically minded.
Quite cheaply from China of your willing to give it a go.

simcor:
Webasto pre heaters and timed heaters are more common on diesel cars and higher end cars.

The Rover 75 and Ztt had an option for a Webasto Premier heater to prevent warm throat coolant and also a timer could be fitted so you could warm the interior of the car up.

They I believe are more common on diesels in colder climates, with the amount of cold weather we get here they are generally not required.

So in a way they have them for cars,learn something new everyday

truckman020:

simcor:

The Rover 75 and Ztt had an option for a Webasto Premier heater to prevent warm throat coolant and also a timer could be fitted so you could warm the interior of the car up.

So in a way they have them for cars,learn something new everyday

Yup like I say the Rover 75 and Ztt diesel had webasto diesel heaters fitted or as an optional extra.

The main idea was to pre warm the coolant for better economy in the colder weather and also give you warm air as soon as you got in the car and drove. There was an option for a remote timer to set it to come on and off at certain times as well. This could be used to warm the interior of the car too.

There was even a remote fob so you could switch it on manually from the house as well.

I think more cars should be fitted with them myself as it would always be nice getting into a warm car whenever it’s cold.

I have seen them for sale not webasto but same principle with a small diesel fuel tank and thought it would be nice to retro fit one.

simcor:

I have a diesel Rover 75 Connoisseur (in other words, the top-of-the-range model) but by the time it was made (2005) Rover were no longer offering the Webasto heater even as an option because it was so unreliable.

Harry Monk:

simcor:

I have a diesel Rover 75 Connoisseur (in other words, the top-of-the-range model) but by the time it was made (2005) Rover were no longer offering the Webasto heater even as an option because it was so unreliable.

I wouldn’t say it was unreliable. As standard fit they were removed by reject drive cost cutting and only offered as an option. I don’t remember hearing that they were stopped being offered as an option at the time.

They did have a problem with the pcb failing on the night heater. But a French guy on mg rover form used to repair them. Most people other than the circuit board failure didn’t generally have any problems with them. I know other marques used them as well.

The biggest issue was cost to replace them out of warranty hence most second hand cars with them didn’t work.

My LR Discovery came fitted with Eberspacher water/night heater from the factory. Works of a timer as standard or you can turn it off/on from the key remote.

I had an auxillary heater in one of my BM’s, but it had to be programmed by the stealer or someone with the correct gear, so for the sake of feeling cold for 5 mins I never bothered …

my merc has one…very handy when its cold and your waiting for the missus to finish browsing while you load the car with shopping, and she takes ages.

truckman020:
In the recent weather i read that a family with babies was invited to spend the night in a hgv as they were all stuck in the snow,it made me wonder why with todays technology that cars are not fitted with night heaters

Some top end ones are, you can press a button or use a phone app and they’ll warm themselves up so they’re nice and toasty when you get in. Tesla would be the most famous for doing it.

Worth pointing out that the ability to pre-heat the interior whilst still on mains charging is an increasingly common feature on electric cars.

Conor:

truckman020:
In the recent weather i read that a family with babies was invited to spend the night in a hgv as they were all stuck in the snow,it made me wonder why with todays technology that cars are not fitted with night heaters

Some top end ones are, you can press a button or use a phone app and they’ll warm themselves up so they’re nice and toasty when you get in. Tesla would be the most famous for doing it.

Probably got a small diesel tank filled with red tucked away somewhere.

:smiley:

truckman020:

kcrussell25:

I’ve got two mates who are lorry drivers. When you get in their cars the fuel guage will be somewhere between the red and quarter mark and a trip to the garage sees £10’s worth of juice put in.

TiredAndEmotional:

truckman020:

kcrussell25:

I’ve got two mates who are lorry drivers. When you get in their cars the fuel guage will be somewhere between the red and quarter mark and a trip to the garage sees £10’s worth of juice put in.

You`ve got two more mates than I have then.
When the tank gets below 1/4 I fill it to the top. Why would anyone want to waste their time faffing around garages more than needed?

Chrysler Voyager and Jeep has a night heater built in