Warning for residential courses

Wow this thread was quite entertaining. Wish i had some popcorn at hand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Juddian:
I have no axe to grind in this thread, took my course and test decades ago.

All i will say to any person contemplating getting into HGV driving, if the hardships of a fairly basic but ‘free’ hotel, together with it’s less than state of the art wifi for handful of nights is really going to cause you issues, then i strongly suggest that the industry may not your best career choice.

Exactly this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ROG:
Peter has taken the comments on board - he said as much in a previous post

Are you a spokesman for the company ROG?

Peter says he is confident that everything that could reasonably be done - and more, was done, but then goes on to say that yes he will speak to the guest house about requesting quieter rooms. Fair enough, but it seems to have taken this thread for that conversation to be happening, so was everything that could’ve been reasonably done actually done?, or is the fact that Peter is responsible for the service the guest house provides in his name just flying over everyones heads there?

This a training package, the quality of the accommodation provided should take as much importance as anything else. If the trainee wasn’t well rested this could easily impact on the other aspects of the training, hence in this case a poor performing and stressed out candidate. Travel agents reguarly inspect hotels they partner with as a matter of course.

And just to counter, I don’t doubt for a minute that Peter is a top level training provider, but something clearly went pear-shaped at some point here, but the companies response was, well, disappointing.

Reef:
Unlocked as I still believe in people being allowed to voice their opinion as long as it’s done in a civil and fair manner!

Reef, I hadn’t noticed your post during the discourse, apologies… Are you saying this thread did actually get locked at one point? I assume this did happen due to you stating that the thread is unlocked. So to be unlocked… you can see where I’m going here, it must’ve been locked at some point.

Was this due to the ‘complaint’ being made against a sponsor of the forum?

From what you have written I saw nothing beforehand that was neither unfair nor uncivil, for not matter.

If so, then Wow !!

If not, can you give the reasons why please?

I would really love to hear the reasoning behind this.

Good job Stobarts aren’t a sponsor here then eh, this place would be chock full of blank pages…

Londontrucker123:

Reef:
Unlocked as I still believe in people being allowed to voice their opinion as long as it’s done in a civil and fair manner!

Reef, I hadn’t noticed your post during the discourse, apologies… Are you saying this thread did actually get locked at one point? I assume this did happen due to you stating that the thread is unlocked. So to be unlocked… you can see where I’m going here, it must’ve been locked at some point.

From what you have written I saw nothing beforehand that was neither unfair nor uncivil, for not matter.

If so, then Wow !!

Good job Stobarts aren’t a sponsor here then eh, this place would be chock full of blank pages…

Nothing so nefarious or underhanded, it was locked by a sub-forum moderator with the reasoning that the thread had run it’s course, but I believed that the locking of the thread could potentially do more harm than good so I unlocked it for the exact reasons I stated.

Reef:

Londontrucker123:

Reef:

If so, then Wow !!

Nothing so nefarious or underhanded, it was locked by a sub-forum moderator with the reasoning that the thread had run it’s course, but I believed that the locking of the thread could potentially do more harm than good so I unlocked it for the exact reasons I stated.

Reef,

I simply don’t believe you.

A thread shut down before it even gets to Page 2, and it happens the issue relates to a forum sponsor, with the reasoning is that it had run it’s course? Absolute ■■■■ ing nonsense my friend. This is unheard of on this site. Care to name the individual concerned? I do know who my money is on, as do you I suspect, and also the readers of this forum. Near the top left of my laptop screen I see the names of 2 moderators. People ain’t stupid Reef and neither are you I suspect. We all know what’s been going on, no one is being fooled here.

UKTramp ran rampant for years on here in the interests of free speech with no intervention and no one inside Trucknet could not have bothered their arse to do even the slightest thing about it, even though we had to put up with his ■■■■ over and over and over, complete trolling of the highest order, and Trucknet did absolutely F all about for a long, long time. Nothing. Not a thing. Until finally, it seems like it all got a but too much until something had to be done about it. I, for one, stopped visiting this site regularly during his tenure.

I think your moderator has made the most serious error of judgement. As stated previously, Stobarts and others gets slated on here daily, I don’t recall any of those posts being removed because they may cause more harm than good - name one if so. Can you recall any?, and who are you to decide this anyway? I do recall in the Trucknet T&C’s seeing that posters are responsible for posts they make, and that Trucknet, ‘will not carry the can.’ Hmmm, now not sure about that at all.

This absolutely stinks to high heaven. Not only does your sponsor look bad, but by one of your moderators locking the thread, well it speaks volumes. You should remove them as a moderator immediately, announce it to all, and apologise.

Even a blind man can see this isn’t right.

I found this post most enlightening and very worthwhile for future trainees to consider. It made me wince as i recalled the stress and the huge cost out layout when I got my licence , although it did make passing all the more overwhelming and memorable.

I interpreted the op to obviously be still hurting from the lost cost and also not getting their licence, I guess the post was a way of trying to justify and mitigate by in some way trying to help others.

I equally found Peters response to very professional, respectful and evidently from someone who aims to the best in a tough, competitative market. Although, a professional should always seek to improve and perhaps this may in the future include sending obvious advice to trainees that the rooms are economy level and to prepare accordingly or encourage them to ask the instructor to intervene with the guest house. Ater all PST would have more clout than an individual to ask for a room change etc.

However, I would raise the concerns around the issue of block courses without a prior driver assessment. Clearly the op may be one of those persons that needed a lot more training to pass full stop.

Without a prior assessment, I find it boggling to intimate that anybody with a car licence can walk away with a cat c in just a few days, doesn’t matter if you are the best instructor in the world, some trainees are simply incapable of doing this in such a short period of time, - or even they just dont have the aptitude to ever do it- and they themselves may not realize this…after all most people think they are good car drivers. They then leave heartbroken and financially broken and posts like this occur.

For example, the trainer may have realized that such narrow roads were too much for the guy at that stage of the course but felt pressured to compete a full test route with them…so they could still attempt the test and justify the fee. It’s for PST to reflect and have a contigency in place to perhaps advise the trainee early on that they are too far off the mark and offer to spend the time just doing the basics and advise they need to rebook another block. At least it may have avoided this situation.

Just food for thought.

Reef:
it was locked by a sub-forum moderator with the reasoning that the thread had run it’s course

Londontrucker123:
Reef,

Well, its time to believe Reef because it is true :smiley:
I think I would know my own mind after 60+ years :wink: :laughing:

Londontrucker123:
Reef,

A thread shut down before it even gets to Page 2, and it happens the issue relates to a forum sponsor, with the reasoning is that it had run it’s course? Absolute [zb] ing nonsense my friend. This is unheard of on this site. Care to name the individual concerned? I do know who my money is on, as do you I suspect, and also the readers of this forum. Near the top left of my laptop screen I see the names of 2 moderators. People ain’t stupid Reef and neither are you I suspect. We all know what’s been going on, no one is being fooled here.

UKTramp ran rampant for years on here in the interests of free speech with no intervention and no one inside Trucknet could not have bothered their arse to do even the slightest thing about it, even though we had to put up with his [zb] over and over and over, complete trolling of the highest order, and Trucknet did absolutely F all about for a long, long time. Nothing. Not a thing. Until finally, it seems like it all got a but too much until something had to be done about it. I, for one, stopped visiting this site regularly during his tenure.

I think your moderator has made the most serious error of judgement. As stated previously, Stobarts and others gets slated on here daily, I don’t recall any of those posts being removed because they may cause more harm than good - name one if so. Can you recall any?, and who are you to decide this anyway? I do recall in the Trucknet T&C’s seeing that posters are responsible for posts they make, and that Trucknet, ‘will not carry the can.’ Hmmm, now not sure about that at all.

This absolutely stinks to high heaven. Not only does your sponsor look bad, but by one of your moderators locking the thread, well it speaks volumes. You should remove them as a moderator immediately, announce it to all, and apologise.

I think you’re reading too much into a non event, the thread was locked rightly or wrongly for a short period and then re-opened, nothing was removed or edited just locked and then later unlocked.

All moderation is done at the individual moderators discretion within the boundaries of the forum rules, some courses of action taken by one moderator may not be dealt with the same way by another moderator it’s as simple and innocent as that.

I unlocked this thread because I believed it still had informative value and scope for further input regarding peoples own personal experiences and opinions regarding the original topic, if I worded my unlock post badly then I apologise.

If anyone wishes to discuss mine or any other moderators actions then you can do so in the feedback forum or if you prefer privately via PM with either Rikki or dieseldave.

Reef:

Londontrucker123:
Reef,

A thread shut down before it even gets to Page 2, and it happens the issue relates to a forum sponsor, with the reasoning is that it had run it’s course? Absolute [zb] ing nonsense my friend. This is unheard of on this site. Care to name the individual concerned? I do know who my money is on, as do you I suspect, and also the readers of this forum. Near the top left of my laptop screen I see the names of 2 moderators. People ain’t stupid Reef and neither are you I suspect. We all know what’s been going on, no one is being fooled here.

UKTramp ran rampant for years on here in the interests of free speech with no intervention and no one inside Trucknet could not have bothered their arse to do even the slightest thing about it, even though we had to put up with his [zb] over and over and over, complete trolling of the highest order, and Trucknet did absolutely F all about for a long, long time. Nothing. Not a thing. Until finally, it seems like it all got a but too much until something had to be done about it. I, for one, stopped visiting this site regularly during his tenure.

I think you’re reading too much into a non event, the thread was locked rightly or wrongly for a short period and then re-opened, nothing was removed or edited just locked and then later unlocked.

All moderation is done at the individual moderators discretion within the boundaries of the forum rules, some courses of action taken by one moderator may not be dealt with the same way by another moderator it’s as simple and innocent as that.

I unlocked this thread because I believed it still had informative value and scope for further input regarding peoples own personal experiences and opinions regarding the original topic, if I worded my unlock post badly then I apologise.

If anyone wishes to discuss mine or any other moderators actions then you can do so in the feedback forum or if you prefer privately via PM with either Rikki or dieseldave.

Reef,

It’s far from a non-event my friend, it was censorship. Plain and simple. Your moderator should be removed for this.

Here’s a nice famous quote for you, “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”, by one Evelyn Beatrice Hall. Need I say more.

Other than that, it’s almost time for my night trunk, so as far as I’m concerned, ‘End of Thread!’

Have a good night out there everyone.

Reef,

It’s far from a non-event my friend, it was censorship. Plain and simple. Your moderator should be removed for this.

Firstly let me explain the above
It is standard procedure for all the forum moderators, if they have any concerns over a thread and are unsure about the content, to temporarily lock it while they consult with the rest of the team and if required talk to the forum manager or push it up to me. Many threads do get locked and unlocked quite quickly.
All our moderators are volunteers with different experiences and viewpoints, which is why they work as a team to make decisions on consensus.

With regard to the content of this particular thread. TruckNet is not a complaints department for any company, sponsor or not. PSTT could quite rightly have said that any issues should be addressed to them via PM or on the phone and they would help resolve the issues privately. I believe that it is to PSTT’s credit they chose to respond openly, fairly and show they have looked into this chaps issues in depth and taken those points on board that they may be able to address.

One a personal note I myself have spent a week at PSTT training, and stayed in the same accommodation,( by the sound of it the same room, up the stairs front room on the left, overlooking the lights) while it wasn’t the Ritz I found it one of the better B&B’s I have stayed in over the years. The landlady was very helpful and I am sure if approached would have tried to improve the chaps stay. However I don’t see the position of the room allocated and the problems this chap had with it can in any way be put on PSTT’s doorstep.

Londontrucker123:

Peter Smythe:
Pandion has had his say and has possibly highlighted some points that upcoming candidates might find useful. I’ve replied to ensure that the context is correct.

As far as I’m concerned, end of thread!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter, with respect, who made you the king of trucknet?

You cannot command ‘end of thread’ as you see fit I’m afraid - sponsor or not.

You’ve made some fair points, but TBF Peter came nowhere near your “command ‘end of thread’ as you see fit” because he said “As far as I’m concerned” in the same sentence.

I stayed in the same B&B when doing my Class 2. I had the room with the window just opposite the traffic lights.

I guess if you live in a farm or country side your whole life and have sleeping issues then one could have entered the room and said something about it, explaining their own sleeping conditions, I find that people working in the service sector are as helpful as they can be.

If the instructor was the one I had and reckon. Well I can only say she was spot on, 100% focused on getting me to not only do the right thing but to understand what was wrong and how to correct ir.

Anyway, quitting before even sitting the test kind of tells a lot about how serious one is.

I trained with Pete on the residential course and thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought the time off inbetween lessons was a great way to unwind and take on board the information of the day. You can of course drive round the area in your car to help familiarise yourself more to the area as well.

I think in the OPs case it just wasn’t their week, and maybe their expectation didnt quite meet reality. However on the topic of getting a good nights sleep given the choice of staying at the central hotel or the travel lodge I would choose the latter as it was quieter and a bit more comfortable, maybe PST would consider offering it as a paid upgrade that would be an idea. :slight_smile:

norm:
I trained with Pete on the residential course and thoroughly enjoyed it, I thought the time off inbetween lessons was a great way to unwind and take on board the information of the day. You can of course drive round the area in your car to help familiarise yourself more to the area as well.

I think in the OPs case it just wasn’t their week, and maybe their expectation didnt quite meet reality. However on the topic of getting a good nights sleep given the choice of staying at the central hotel or the travel lodge I would choose the latter as it was quieter and a bit more comfortable, maybe PST would consider offering it as a paid upgrade that would be an idea. :slight_smile:

I’ve stayed at the same hotel when taking my PCV test with PSTT and the hotel is flexible on the room if you raise it with them.
You’d just have to ask.

Having read the original post I must say that I don’t think driving hgvs is for the OP.
Doesn’t sound to me like it was the instructor’s fault and more like poor planning and unrealistic expectations on his part, coupled with the fact that he clearly doesn’t feel comfortable or confident driving large vehicles.
There are no black and white answers and perfect ways, you need to judge each incident (for use of a better word) as it happens and plan ahead by using the Smith method of driving.
I’m betting his instructor tried teaching him all this but he wasn’t getting it and rather than accept it’s his fault he’s blaming the training school.
Truck driving isn’t particularly hard but its certainly not easy either and not everyone can do it. Sounds like the OP is one of them

The-Snowman:
Having read the original post I must say that I don’t think driving hgvs is for the OP.
Doesn’t sound to me like it was the instructor’s fault and more like poor planning and unrealistic expectations on his part, coupled with the fact that he clearly doesn’t feel comfortable or confident driving large vehicles.
There are no black and white answers and perfect ways, you need to judge each incident (for use of a better word) as it happens and plan ahead by using the Smith method of driving.
I’m betting his instructor tried teaching him all this but he wasn’t getting it and rather than accept it’s his fault he’s blaming the training school.
Truck driving isn’t particularly hard but its certainly not easy either and not everyone can do it. Sounds like the OP is one of them

Thanks… that’s saved me from a lot of typing!! :smiley:

I’d just add that the situation for the OP might have been made somewhat worse by the fact that he was away from home, a situation that not everybody easily takes to.

The-Snowman:

The facts indicate the instructor was partly to blame, I know from personal experience I tried a school realised I was being taught nothing and had the foresight to switch. The difference was night and day not saying this was the case here but it is possible and PSTT admits this occurs, so no company is 100% all the time. I personally think it is an error to offer courses just several days long with a test at the end without a prior assessment, to see if that was even realistic on an individual basis. People learn skills at different rates, doesn’t mean they are incapable of reaching the same end point.

I got back to my post above, sounds like op just needed a lot more time and confidence on easier roads, but the instructor may have been under pressure to complete all areas quickly including a full mock road test. Perhaps there was a personality clash even, but having the guy driving tight roads was clearly inappropriate for the stage he was at and it was a public safety issue to others to boot.

I therefore disagree with you putting 100% of the blame at op doorstep and also wrong to arrogantly judge the guy to say he is unfit to drive hgvs when not in full detailed knowledge of what went on.

rsg1234567:
The facts indicate the instructor was partly to blame

Curious as to how you’ve come to this conclusion? What has the instructor done to be blameworthy based on fact?

rsg1234567:
I personally think it is an error to offer courses just several days long with a test at the end without a prior assessment, to see if that was even realistic on an individual basis. People learn skills at different rates, doesn’t mean they are incapable of reaching the same end point.

This is standard times for LGV training and it’s not up to the school to offer mandatory assessment - that lies firmly with the trainee in making an informed decision based on their learning ability which only they know intimately. Would he have changed his mind if all the schools said he needed double hours to a standard course and twice the cost - probably would. This is why they should look very closely at their existing driving ability and ability to learn new driving techniques for a LGV and if doubt go get an assessment before committing

rsg1234567:
…sounds like op just needed a lot more time and confidence on easier roads, but the instructor may have been under pressure to complete all areas quickly including a full mock road test. Perhaps there was a personality clash even, but having the guy driving tight roads was clearly inappropriate for the stage he was at and it was a public safety issue to others to boot.

As above , the OP should have been fully aware of their own learning ability and done more research to find a course that suits - they would have been aware of needing longer but maybe the cost would have put them off hence as OP put it “ just go for it!”

Why shouldn’t they be driving on tight roads? You can’t avoid them in real life. Would it be trainers fault if they had passed and then went onto a tight road on their own on the job and then say they weren’t trained on that type of road ?

You could argue same over reversing , test nowhere near good enough for real life but you learn that on the job

Trainer has to try cover many types of road and they’re not going to risk public unnecessarily

rsg1234567:
I therefore disagree with you putting 100% of the blame at op doorstep and also wrong to arrogantly judge the guy to say he is unfit to drive hgvs when not in full detailed knowledge of what went on.

It is the OPs failure to fully look into exactly what he needed rather than turn up at a course then struggle and think this isn’t working and yes it cost him

There was nothing to stop him going to a local school even if not intending to use them just to get the assessment and see how they got on and then see what hours were suggested from it and if they fit in with their level of confidence after the assessment drive

And no one said he was unfit per se, it was suggested that as he was struggling with the basic, then it might not be their best career move

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsg1234567:

I didn’t say he was unfit, I said maybe he was one of those who couldnt handle large vehicles with confidence. There’s a difference
I also dont think the industry is for him either.
He didn’t like waiting about kicking his heels with poor wifi signal for starters.
I’ve spent 9 hours sitting on a bay on a fruit farm out in the middle of nowhere before. I’ve spent 8 hours sitting while a container was loaded with TVs in an area you wouldn’t want to wander around in, far less sit stationary
Trampers can be parked up from 1500 one day till 0700 the next. There’s a lot of waiting about in this game, that’s what I meant by that.
The impression I got was he wasn’t entering the industry as it was something he wanted, he was doing it because he felt he had to just for a job or because it was something he thought “yeah I’ll give that a try”.
Yes I’m putting the blame at the ops doorstep and I’m basing it solely on his original post because you’re right, I wasn’t there. I dont have full detailed knowledge of what went on but he put a thinly disguised attack (might be a bit strong but I can’t think of a more appropriate word at the moment) on a public forum about it and I’ve read between the lines and as such he’s going to get judged on what he wrote. You cant tell me im not allowed to make an opinion on it or that im arrogant about it, when the OP himself put it out there.
Its all about opinions. My opinion is what it is and I still think it’s accurate. You don’t, as is your prerogative.
Personally I don’t care either way whos “fault” it is his experience wasn’t what he expected since I don’t know him or Pete Smythe, that’s just my opinion on the matter.
Ive always been a believer in the saying theres three sides to every story. 1 persons version of events, the other persons version of events and then theres what actually happened.
Pete has put his reply out there. I doubt either version is 100% accurate of what actually happened but since ive seen countless positive threads about his company and this is the first negative one then I can make a guess at whos is more accurate to the truth.
When I was doing my class 2, the guy I was training with fell out with the instructor because he was constantly getting told not to drive over potholes but he felt moving out to avoid them was wrong. After 2 days he threw his toys out the pram, jumped out at Robroyston roundabout and refused to drive for the rest of the day. Next day he had complained about the instructor and I can asure you, his version of what happened was nowhere near an accurate description of what actually happened.