U Turn Gone Wrong

Conor:

the nodding donkey:
It takes a special kind of cabbage to do that… :open_mouth:

From the article it says:

“Someone had given him wrong directions."

I was specifically referring to either the attempt to do a Uturn on a road barely the width of a single lane road, or getting your reverse so badly wrong that you jack knife the combination, and wedge your unit on a bank…

But I see where you are going. Somebody gave him wrong directions, so it’s not his fault. Just like hitting a bridge when following the sat-nav…

Conor:
“Someone had given him wrong directions."

Over the years…

I’m sure we’ve all had some duff directions.

The newer drivers seem incapable of doing anything except spinning it round regardless of almost pulling the tyres off the rim because of the weight.

Me? Like loads of other drivers would have just reversed until I could get out.

You’d need to shunt a Smart car there let a lone an artic, WTF was he thinking?

This is also known as a ‘panic turn’ it’s usually found with it’s close relative ‘comfort braking’.

I probably don’t want to know this; but what the hell is “comfort braking”.

It’s a term I use…

To describe car drivers who brake but don’t actually shake any speed off. It’s done on the approach to bends that aren’t at all sharp or dangerous, the middle lane of the M1 because there’s more than two cars near them and automatic drivers who have no idea their left foot is resting on the brake pedal.

if only he had watched this dude 1st. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=Pp1JSbO0kAU

I know that road well ( I don’t live far from there) and its industrial for most of its length and could easily lead into the steel works if you didn’t know the area. at the end is a big roundabout with one road off that seems to still lead towards the Steel works , its still quite wide for 50 metres or so then turns a sharp 45 % bend and then within a 100 metres turns realy narrow. get past that point in a truck then you have real problems as it only gets narrower up towards the Gare.

I am not condoning the U turn he made that was obviously a bad error of judgement, just saying that if you didn’t know the area that the road he was on could be a reasonable assumption that it took him into the steel works

There was a time when you could use this road all the way between the river and the steel works,past Smiths Dock and into South Bank.

yourhavingalarf:
It’s a term I use…

To describe car drivers who brake but don’t actually shake any speed off. It’s done on the approach to bends that aren’t at all sharp or dangerous, the middle lane of the M1 because there’s more than two cars near them and automatic drivers who have no idea their left foot is resting on the brake pedal.

Thanks. I’ve often wondered why people do the motorway thing. It’s nice that it now has a name.

Norman Conquest:

yourhavingalarf:
It’s a term I use…

Thanks. I’ve often wondered why people do the motorway thing. It’s nice that it now has a name.

Ive heard summat similar called "confidence braking". Just checking youre still actually in control of the vehicle…
And who was the racing driver who said, after a serious crash, that he was going down a fast straight, and caught himself just dabbing the brakes to make sure they were there? That was when he decided to quit.

He could have carried on Riki, towards the lighthouse past the fishermans huts it gets wide enough to screw a bulker round easily