Trucking Magic

My truck parked outside of the exhibition centre in Montreux after loading returns from the Ford Cargo launch.
One of the things about working for Pro-Motor was the variety of the work that you carried out.
One trip you would be heading for Yugoslavia, with groupage, the next it would be a load of JCBs for Baghdad.
The next load could be a prestigious vehicle launch, in Paris, followed by a load of relief food aid to Poland.

As I said in “Trucking Magic”, every driver on the company had to be able to adapt to the different operations
that the company carried out. Even though I was used on the East European side I also had to work in Western Europe at times.

Mick

Finished reading the book, and as usual a cracking read Mick, job well done mate :wink:

Interesting that you didn’t find the Yugo’s very sympathetic, I’ve had similar experiences with them (Croatians in this case), and for some odd reason an older man thought we were krauts and invited us to his home, where some bottles of some substance came on the table. As a non-drinker I declined the offer which upset the old man, but my colleagues then said I was on medication and drank my glass. By the look on their faces it was easy to tell it was some strong stuff, no doubt the old man used it as petrol during the winter :laughing: :laughing:

pv83:
Finished reading the book, and as usual a cracking read Mick, job well done mate :wink:

Interesting that you didn’t find the Yugo’s very sympathetic, I’ve had similar experiences with them (Croatians in this case), and for some odd reason an older man thought we were krauts and invited us to his home, where some bottles of some substance came on the table. As a non-drinker I declined the offer which upset the old man, but my colleagues then said I was on medication and drank my glass. By the look on their faces it was easy to tell it was some strong stuff, no doubt the old man used it as petrol during the winter :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Patrick. I am really glad that you enjoyed the book. Because it was different to Vodka Cola
I did not know how people would take to it.
But a lot of people have contacted me to say that they like it.

Yes, I found the Yugo’s to be OK but they weren’t keen on foreigners.
That was why I only learned a very little of their language.
I think that you are right about their drinks. They get them from airports where they are used for avgas. :laughing:

Avgas… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I didn’t bother to learn the language either, as it turned out, it was just the one trip for me.

I wish that it had only been one trip for me as well Patrick. Unfortunately, it was 86 for Pro-Motor.
However, while down there I often met my good friend Jimmie Cadwallader.
That’s Jimmie on the left and we are standing in front of my truck, somewhere in Yugo.
We usually met at Belgrade customs, or the National or at the Zagreb Motel.
He drove for Bliteb BV and we spent a lot of time there together.
Also my other friends on Bliteb, like Woody and Jan.

Jimmie’s father was English and his mother was Dutch.

So just finnisched trucking magic,great read! On holliday in puta cana so alot of sun al cold beers and a good read :smiley:

Danne

Dirty Dan:
So just finnisched trucking magic,great read! On holliday in puta cana so alot of sun al cold beers and a good read :smiley:

Danne

Hi Danne. Glad that you enjoyed the book. Have a great holiday :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

There’s a book review of Trucking Magic in January’s TRUCKING mag :wink: . robert

ERF-NGC-European:
There’s a book review of Trucking Magic in January’s TRUCKING mag :wink: . robert

Hi Robert. Thanks for the tip. I bought a copy today. Not a bad review 5 star. Hope that all is well with you.

Mick

Just got my copy today, along with Champagne…‘’’ Good timing as I’m going up the road on Wednesday…

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Just got my copy today, along with Champagne…‘’’ Good timing as I’m going up the road on Wednesday…

Jeff…

I hope that you enjoy them Jeff. Have a safe trip mate.

As Micky T said in his book ‘Trucking Magic’, you never knew where your next job would take you whilst working for Promotor. Picture taken in Libya mid 80’s.

Libya !!! I did a trip to Libya … Not good …

Jeff…

Jelliot:
Libya !!! I did a trip to Libya … Not good …

Jeff…

Well…lets hear the tale then…

Saying nothing … PM Micky T…he might say something

Jeff…

It is with great sadness that I have to inform everyone that Bob Heath passed away on Sunday 14th January 2018.
Bob was one of the earlier drivers on Pro-Motor, who helped to build up the firm.

Rest In Peace Bob.

Seems like the season for bad news. I have just found out that Johnny Mantle, who worked for Pros and Kepstowe
has been involved in a serious motorcycle accident.
He was taken to Kings College hospital and was in a very bad way.
Apparently he has now been allowed home, but has been accepted for Stoke Mandeville.
On top of his problems his wife has just passed away.
Her funeral is at Worth Crematorium at 10am on February 6th.

I am sure that everyone will join me in wishing John a speedy and full recovery.

Mick

Ahhhh… Trucking Magic. 80 or 81. Near Ramadi. Going west, homeward bound from Baghdad heading towards the Syrian desert.

Picture of Micky Twemlow with shook up load at Baghdad International Trade Fair late 70’s. Reckon you’d been pot-holing in Turkey again.

Haven’t heard from you for a while Micky. Hope alls ok?