Want to read "cola cowboys"?

Hi all,

Just to let anyone know who is after reading “cola cowboys”, i’ve just returned a copy to my local library. I made an enquiry as to whether the book was available in Eastbourne (my hometown), but they ended up tracing a copy from Stafford! Only waited a few weeks for it, so if you want to read the book, ask at your library! Only cost a couple of quid, if that. Saves paying £■■? on ebay for a book. A good read although between the lines a few of the stories seem a bit far-fetched, I wonder what the old - hands views on it are, mushroomman and bestbooties?! :wink:

Regards,

Mark.

Mark,
I have mentioned before that I have never gone out of my way to get a copy because having met the author and his pilot,while on his research trip,I suspected it may be just a little,shall I say OTT.
If a copy dropped in my lap I may well read it,but I wouldn’t pay money for the priveledge.
But don’t let me put off guys that never had the luck to do the M/E,as many stories told by former M/E men on this BB can seem just as OTT.
The tales related here by myself and other drivers,are to the best of our memories true accounts.I suppose when I get my book into print there will be a lot of doubts by readers who never did M/E,thinking,surely,this is a wind up?
As you will pick up from other posters on this BB,our generation is on the decline,so while there are still stories to be told,get it into print.

Cheers Ian,

I look forward to yours and truckerash’s books coming out. I never had the chance of M/E, so reading you guys accounts on here and remembering my mates dads tales of it really fires the imagination. I certainly would never doubt any of the posts on here, purely because there are many of you to scrutinize any “porkies”! Good luck with the finish of the book and thanks for posting so many of your pics, I’m really looking forward to a true account of the pioneering glory days of international trucking.

Best regards,

Mark.

Hi Brookie, I thought that this book had been discussed some time ago on here and I have just looked at the first couple of pages on the Astran thread and there it is.
I only ever met Trevor Long once in Hungary, I was going down and he was coming home and he showed me his copy of Cola Cowboys which the author had sent to him before he had shipped out on that trip. As I have said before, he wasn’t happy about how the book had turned out and he said that he “ had a feeling that he might be in for a rollicking when he gets back to the yard ”, as the book might of upset one or two people. I am sure that Roger Haywood and John Bruce know a lot more about what actually happened but I do know that Trevor finished at Astran not long afterwards. We will all have to wait for Trucker Ash’s book to come out, maybe I will at last find out what the out come was.
My brother bought a copy ( which he has still got ) and lent it to me to read but I can’t remember that much about it and after all it was written by an author and not a driver. From what I can remember I found it to be an interesting book and a good read at the time. You must not forget that the job was changing every day, with no two trips being the same and that’s why different drivers have so many different views and different stories to tell.
It certainly gave you some idea of what the job entailed and some of the places that were often visited and I don’t think it’s fair to say that the book was a passenger seat view of one trip, from somebody who might not have had an H.G.V. licence.
So well done to Franklyn Wood, it was a bit of 1980’s social history and some people may think that he might not of got it spot on but he probably didn’t think at the time that people would be taking an interest and discussing something that he had done, nearly thirty years later.

Hopefully, there will be people on this site in thirty years time discussing bestbooties book.

Regards Steve.

There is a copy for sale on E-Bay now -2 days left £95 post free!
Gavin

mushroomman:
Hopefully, there will be people on this site in thirty years time discussing bestbooties book.

Regards Steve.

Steve,
You’re probably right there,In 30 years time when truckers are cushioned in their hover trucks,when cruise control has become auto pilot,they’ll be saying to their mates,“Have you read this load of old ■■■■■■■■ about drivers that used to drive trucks with some driver input and MANUAL gearboxes halfway across the world?”

Incedently,I first met Wing Commander Long when he drove for Philip Drakard,they used to sub for Brit European.
There was a story about at the time that he was giving it some big licks up the A11 in an F89 and when the old Bill eventually caught up with him,their first question was,“Having trouble taking off are we Captain?”

I had a copy for christmas from my eldest and what a read I would go tomorrow if I had the chance, just to say that I have done it well what do you do after the m/e. I also have a copy of destination doha very good but to get a truck a 100 miles from base and for the brakes to go t/u ummmmm !!! more brake downs before istanbul than I have ever had, well shows how much trucks have come on in 30 years, If anyone needs someone to drive for them to the m/e please let me know. PS would need my hand holding a first I think !!!

Hi 2 copies on e-bay at the moment - the £95 one from last week reduced to £59 and a hard back from the USA. Happy bidding :unamused:
Gavin

Just to say I went into my local library and found I could order a copy for £3.00, which is a lot cheaper than the price range of £200.00 to £425.00 they are asking on amazon, the librarian was amazed when she saw that and asked what was so good about the book to command that money. I did’nt have an answer for that but did say that the truth had been a bit elasticated in it as anyone who has been further than istanbul will know.
chazzer