Truck air lines

Wheel Nut:
Many A frame drawbar trailers still use straight rubber air lines.

Many Spanish artics do too.

Regards,
Nick.

I’d go for the suspender/suspended bit - I phoned a friend

There again as a DCPC trainer I know nothing and clearly can’t do anything so I train :smiley:

Frankydobo:
The dummy plug for the blue line was just that, but in those days we had taps, apparently modern drivers are not trusted to turn them on

Fraid not Wheelnut as you see on this diagram, the Blue line is re-routed to operate through the Service line to the trailer brakes, not everyone seems to have realised or understood that, the unit connection wasn’t a dummy, so they were cutting out a part of the braking system if they didn’t connect the line or if they kept the tap turned off. Not many people realise thesedays they have a Secondary brake on a rigid too.

I did know about the secondary brake built into the hand valve. I had one years ago with the Clayton Dewandre valve on a KM.

Sorry, I must have been mistaken with the Dummy plug on a CA Coupling, but do not remember it going anywhere. I am wondering now whether some of the dealers were not aware of the need for a return. Before taps were done away with many drivers plugged the red and yellow line together to stow it away. Maybe I have operated with palm couplings for far too long and can only remember the two line systems.

This photo does not show it clear enough. But it does show the Vabis is still fitted with taps, and self sealing couplings :open_mouth:

Wheel Nut:
The dummy plug for the blue line was just that, but in those days we had taps, apparently modern drivers are not trusted to turn them on :exclamation:

Many A frame drawbar trailers still use straight rubber air lines.

One of the stupidest things they did was get rid of the taps on airlines and install self sealing suzies. Once you broke and airline you lost the lot, when we had the taps we could just turn them off and drain the trailer tanks to pull the trailer to safety. There was one downfall though ! I had just started on artics and was running a fully loaded flat bed to Liverpool docks using a Volvo F86, as I went down the hill on the M6 just after the M5 joined there were some roadworks and I was doing about 65 mph down the hill and hit the brakes to find I had none on the trailer and had to stand on the footbrake almost getting myself and some others killed :open_mouth:
Yep ! I had forgot to turn the blue and yellow taps on.

billybigrig:

switchlogic:
I covered this in a video, they are named after Lady Suzanna Airline

Is she related to Sir Bertie Legohead ■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

No, she was married to Sir Wallace Exhaust Brake

Pat Hasler:
Once you broke and airline you lost the lot, .

Not with most modern stuff though Pat.
You snap a red suzie now, the check valve on the front of the trailer closes to stop the air leaking back out.
You do lose air out of the unit, so tie a knot/double over the suzie with a tywrap, build air up on unit, use shunt valve on trailer.

Thats assuming the suzie hasn’t snapped off right at the fitting on the unit/bulkhead end.
In which case a pair of long nose mole grips is handy for nipping the pipe up to the suzie.

i knew a girl called suzie brown, she swore no man could lay her down, but over the hill cam ■■■■■■■■ pete.
he had 20 pounds of dangling meat, he laid young suzie on the grass, and shoved his rod right up her…

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Frankydobo:
The dummy plug for the blue line was just that, but in those days we had taps, apparently modern drivers are not trusted to turn them on

Fraid not Wheelnut as you see on this diagram, the Blue line is re-routed to operate through the Service line to the trailer brakes, not everyone seems to have realised or understood that, the unit connection wasn’t a dummy, so they were cutting out a part of the braking system if they didn’t connect the line or if they kept the tap turned off. Not many people realise thesedays they have a Secondary brake on a rigid too.

I did know about the secondary brake built into the hand valve. I had one years ago with the Clayton Dewandre valve on a KM.

Sorry, I must have been mistaken with the Dummy plug on a CA Coupling, but do not remember it going anywhere. I am wondering now whether some of the dealers were not aware of the need for a return. Before taps were done away with many drivers plugged the red and yellow line together to stow it away. Maybe I have operated with palm couplings for far too long and can only remember the two line systems.

This photo does not show it clear enough. But it does show the Vabis is still fitted with taps, and self sealing couplings :open_mouth:

This was the picture I was looking for as it shows the dummy plug marked CA so not all vehicles had the unit bypass. Unless as I mentioned, the dealers were not aware of the need and were selling them like this.

Dummy.JPG

I remember a “K” reg Leyland Daf (as they were called then) that had the three air lines.
When pulling a two - line trailer the blue line had to be connected to a special socket on
the unit and not the dummy.

The blue airline was for allowing the red diesel in the hidden compartment in the trailer headboard to get to the engine. :wink:

how right you are, harry,works on a shogun when pulling the 4 wheel box trailer with the rally car in it as well.

virtualriskmanager.net/airbr … lenge.html

Here is a little game. I got 80% of the random questions

Trev_H:
In the late 60’s early 70’s we had to covert all new Scania’s to 3 line air,to comply to british regs, the continentals only had the 2 line system. The 3 lines was a much safer sytem and carried a bigger volume of air through larger pipes but eventually we had to fall in line with everyone else and just have the 2 line.

Hey,

Volvo build off factory different brake systems for every country.

Eric,

Cough…Cough… gees i almost chocked with the amount of dust you have just blown off of this topic !! :laughing:

bubsy06:
where did the ‘i’ come from in suzie/suzi if the guy that invented them was called suzenderger?

No doubt the same place as the iphone.

The truth is, in the old days when it got cold, the drivers used to go on to the cat walk to put on their Sussies !! :stuck_out_tongue:

and over the years the word got misheard a few times and became Suzies !! :laughing:

Some great information there…dont know why you ever became drivers with brains like that :smiley: :smiley: I have always been a driver/mechanic, but my knowledge didnt extend to the drawing board…but well done you guys, the deadman was a great addition, and saved us from many a mishap, especially in a jacknife situation…and mainly in winter.

The little poem had me thinking…i thought Limey Phil had been released…till i saw the date… :smiley:

I discovered what NEWS meant today so will add it a 2012 thread.

Notable Events.
Weather.
Sports.