Air lines suzy lines

Hi ya which colour first guys and girls on the suzie lines. Thanx

Doesnt matter.

I do them in the order of which connector is furtest away from the side I am on.

OK, not likely to happen but I always leave the red till last - just in case!

Traditionally, it was red for the “emergency brake”, yellow on the “service brake” and (for REALLY old people), blue for the auxiliary brake.

All of my suzies are black nowadays though.

One thing you may discover is when you connect up the ABS with the engine running or the ignition on it can confuse the computer.

If you turn off the ignition it seems to help the ECU pair them up.

I remember them Blue lines Harry.

Wheel Nut:

So do I,and only having ONE electrical suzie!

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

Yep, and taps on the air lines.

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

All of the above :blush:

I specifically remember the RED stuff that used to trickle through the BLUE Line from the Trailer and how when connected I could do Gib and back without topping up the 300 litre tank on my scanny :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I remember blowing out the belly tank with the red airline.

montana man:

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

All of the above :blush:

I specifically remember the RED stuff that used to trickle through the BLUE Line from the Trailer and how when connected I could do Gib and back without topping up the 300 litre tank on my scanny :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I think we might need a nostalgia forum for you lot. :laughing: :laughing:

OH! [zb] I remember Blue lines and air taps. :blush:
Room for one more on that Nostalgia forum :smiley: :laughing:

sandman:
Hi ya which colour first guys and girls on the suzie lines. Thanx

I don’t think I’ve ever worried to much which one to connect first, although there might be a proper way on doing it. :blush:

The main thing for me is to make sure the unit park brake in on, I double check that and double check what I’ve done if my attention is diverted.
On some jobs you end up hooking up so many trailers in a day that you do things without thinking about and it only take somebody or something to divert your attentions and you forget something and mostly it’s only your pride that’s damaged, but the consequences can be far worse.

What? You mean there aren’t blue airlines any more? :confused:
Or taps? It’s only 15 years or so since I was a regular HGV driver -
have things really changed in that time?

:laughing:

muckles:

montana man:

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

I think we might need a nostalgia forum for you lot. :laughing: :laughing:

There is a “Nostalgia” Thread on the "Old lorry"forum,I spend a lot of time on there!

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

yep remember that lot,
Also remember the first time i went for a continental tralor with the flatish type connectors for air. never seen anything like em before :smiley: ended up having to buy the suzie converters to be able to hook up.

gezt:

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

yep remember that lot,
Also remember the first time i went for a continental tralor with the flatish type connectors for air. never seen anything like em before :smiley: ended up having to buy the suzie converters to be able to hook up.

Yeah,palm couplings they’re usually refered as,used to use converters when driving for Brit European in '74 and pulling unaccompanied trailers out of Dover,you had to be prepared for any trailer that turned up.

bestbooties:

gezt:

Coffeeholic:

bestbooties:

Wheel Nut:

yep remember that lot,

Yeah,palm couplings they’re usually refered as,used to use converters when driving for Brit European in '74 and pulling unaccompanied trailers out of Dover,you had to be prepared for any trailer that turned up.

I went to work at RAF Mildenhall and asked for some palm couplings, they all looked blank, went outside showed them and they said" you want some Glad Hands". :open_mouth: :laughing: Well that was a new one on me. :laughing:

Hi Guys

I was talking to my instructor today when I was coupling up my trailer and he said he didn’t know where the original word “SUZIE” came from. He said he’d tried to look it up on the net but no luck. Do any of you guys know where it originaly came from? Brownie points for me if you do :smiley:

Cheers Nige

Big Nige:
Do any of you guys know where it originaly came from? Brownie points for me if you do :smiley:

Cheers Nige

Try HERE.

Whilst I haven’t read it all (yet) it seems that Partco have been using the term since 1962.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

See now I was told the name comes from something a little more “colourful” :laughing:
I was told it is a reference to female undergarments :wink:
The connecting of the lines being similar to the connecting of a suspender belt to stockings :smiley: and that it came from the military boys in the wartime :smiley:
Makes sense when you think about it :laughing:

Well being a lecherous old pervy that’s the version I choose to believe :wink:

i drive an old volvo fl10 in melbourne australia, and they just call them airlines over here, but i noticed the other day my redline has SUZIE written on it!

brought back a bit of nostaliga from my irish days!