SUSIES

Hi Guys

I know I am being very “picky” but one thing that annoys me is when drivers call the flexible connections between truck & trailer “SUZIES”. Firstly, the airlines are called airlines; they are NOT “suzies”. SUSIES (correctly spelt) relates to the electrical lines only.

Back in the day when all flexible connections were “semi-rigid” they would often chafe on the cat-walk causing leakes and shorts. These semi-rigid connection were replaced with the flexi-connections similar to what is used today.

Where did the name SUSIE come from? It stands for SUSpended Insulated Electrical.

Agreed, you’re being picky.
Does it really matter if someone incorrectly calls an air line a suzie? we all know what they mean.

You sound about as exciting as I do when I can convey what the MAVIS bit of a MAVIS rail means.

Just curios as to why it would annoy you by people calling them by their incorrect name? Does calling a hoover rather than a vacuum cleaner equally annoy you? Possibly a case of “I know the correct term” and you may not know that I know, so I will say it annoys me so that you all know that I know. Now what really annoys me is when people use the term fridge instead of refrigerator, now that’s annoying.

I just call them “those [fb] twisted [fb] lines” or something similar when the last driver has tangled them all together or covered them in grease.

Never worked put how they can get do tangled and not just pull apart, but it must be the electricity as my sat nav cables do the same thing.

As for name - connectors, lines, susies, suzies, the green / black one, t’em fings and “ping” (when you forget to disconnect).

All these years I’ve called the coils Airlines, actual connections Susies, I’m to old to change now.

Washwipe:
All these years I’ve called the coils Airlines, actual connections Susies, I’m to old to change now.

^^^^^
+1
the winner.
airlines and suzies…you probably hoover your carpets with something that isnt made by hoover.

westway cruiser:
Hi Guys

Where did the name SUSIE come from? It stands for SUSpended Insulated Electrical.

I’m sorry but that is a backronym. No one knows why SUSIE/SUZIE is the name for the curly tubes and wires connecting the services between truck and trailer.

backronym
/ˈbakrənɪm/

noun
an acronym deliberately formed from a phrase whose initial letters spell out a particular word or words, either to create a memorable name or as a fanciful explanation of a word’s origin.

westway cruiser:
Hi Guys

I know I am being very “picky” but one thing that annoys me is when drivers call the flexible connections between truck & trailer “SUZIES”. Firstly, the airlines are called airlines; they are NOT “suzies”. SUSIES (correctly spelt) relates to the electrical lines only.

Back in the day when all flexible connections were “semi-rigid” they would often chafe on the cat-walk causing leakes and shorts. These semi-rigid connection were replaced with the flexi-connections similar to what is used today.

More things to get annoyed or picky about than what or why airlines are called susies or how the word susies is spelled.Would not want to know what you would be like if you had a more important issue.

What annoys me is when People call their Lorry a Truck.

And then the fight started [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet you get annoyed at a 5th wheel being called a fifth wheel when it’s a 6x2 unit. Do you correct people and say its the 7th wheel on yours [emoji23]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

All this highlights that people are different. Some are more differenter than others, sometimes deliberately so :wink: . Those who like Michael-taking have oodles of opportunities on here… :stuck_out_tongue:

westway cruiser:
Hi Guys

I think it’s become an accepted parlance, ‘An accepted term or word used within a group or organisation’ It may be wrong but everyone knows what they mean. As mentioned before a vaccum cleaner is known as a Hoover, a PA system gets called a Tannoy (after the speaker manufacturer) there must be hundereds of examples.
As you say, it’s picky, but a bit of pedantry is fun :laughing:

stuwozere1:
Bet you get annoyed at a 5th wheel being called a fifth wheel when it’s a 6x2 unit. Do you correct people and say its the 7th wheel on yours [emoji23]

Nobody would understand Big D

Wheel Nut:

stuwozere1:

Nobody would understand Big D

York 5th wheel m’lud :laughing:

I was once changing a trailer, and another driver’s young son (remember those days?) pointed out I hadn’t “undone the curly wires”. I found it so endearing that I’ve since secretly called them curly wires :slight_smile:

Come at me, OP.

A few of us on here have used these blue suzies a time or two on the road!

Pennineman:

It was to feed red diesel from the secret tank which was hidden in the trailer To your main tank.

ezydriver:
I was once changing a trailer, and another driver’s young son (remember those days?) pointed out I hadn’t “undone the curly wires”. I found it so endearing that I’ve since secretly called them curly wires :slight_smile:

Come at me, OP.

I’m having that one!

Just like i call my hazards “flashy lights” for pretty much the same reason.
A young lady in a security hut in the north east is responsible for that one.

Pennineman:

When we used blue “susies” you would be a “lorry driver”.
Personally I’ve never ever driven a “truck” apart from
a fork lift truck! I wonder what the original poster would
make of the regional words used for fasteners used on
steel? Regional variations were, Scotland a “dwang”,
Northern England a “warwick”, other areas were a
" tensioner ", a “twitch”, a “loadbinder”.
I’m sure there were other names but we
don’t want to upset the sensitive little “trucker”,
Do we?? :unamused: :unamused: regards Kev.