Trilex wheels

There is an interesting video of a guy changing the tyre on a Trilex wheel using a 2 inch ratchet strap and a bottle jack. The common name of the spoked hub and wheels in North America is “Dayton.” They are five or six spoked and the same hub will fit 20 inch and 22.5 inch rims. The rims can be split rims for tubed tyres or one piece for tubeless tyres. I recently changed from 20 inch split rims to 22.5 inch one piece in the name of safety. Accuride is the name of the company that do the rims for spoked wheels but most people over here call them Daytons.

youtube.com/watch?v=oDPUEv3deWc

So the tubeless ones have a one piece rim, fitted into and removed from a tyre like a disc wheel would be?

Also, how does the same hub fit both a 20” and a 22.5” rim? Does the larger diameter rim have 5 or 6 bumps inside the rim to line up with the mounts on the hub?

I could ask google, but I’m sure I’m not the only one intrigued by this, so a reply from someone that knows would help better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I drove this in 1981 with dayton wheels.

newmercman:
So the tubeless ones have a one piece rim, fitted into and removed from a tyre like a disc wheel would be?

Also, how does the same hub fit both a 20” and a 22.5” rim? Does the larger diameter rim have 5 or 6 bumps inside the rim to line up with the mounts on the hub?

I could ask google, but I’m sure I’m not the only one intrigued by this

I can see the advantages of the single piece wheel rim and spider regards getting more air to the brakes and ease of wheel changes over a conventional wheel.With the win win that they also look awesome.But the three piece set up looks like an awkward solution to a non existent problem.As for larger diameter wheel I’d guess it’s just a case of using a larger spider with longer spokes attached to the same hub/brake drum assembly.

newmercman:

I could ask google, but I’m sure I’m not the only one intrigued by this, so a reply from someone that knows would help better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The rim is 22.5", the mounting flange, within the rim is 20".

handily my dad bought 3, mines the middle one .

A lot of trucks and trailers use spider rims over here in Australia, here is a photo of my 142 that I am restoring

blackshadow:
A lot of trucks and trailers use spider rims over here in Australia, here is a photo of my 142 that I am restoring

Nice project. Good luck, mate! Robert :sunglasses:

blackshadow:

Is the idea that they had the option of a Fuller box in them there a myth.Or possibly just lots of after market conversions ?.Scania V8 with a Fuller seems like the perfect truck.

Carryfast:

blackshadow:

Is the idea that they had the option of a Fuller box in them there a myth.Or possibly just lots of after market conversions ?.Scania V8 with a Fuller seems like the perfect truck.

Like this one, CF! This 142 was not only LHD with an Esteppe-type roof, it had a 13-sp Fuller in it! And I got that from the horse’s mouth because I was parked next to it in Tangiers docks once and John Allen, its owner-driver gave me the lowdown. :sunglasses:

Cheers,Robert

Astran 142 Fuller 13 Estepe pic.jpg

Scania never offered anything but their own gearboxes here, but there were plenty of Road Rangers and Spicers fitted as the Scania boxes wore out or broke. Same applied to Volvo, as the American boxes were better, cheaper and more popular.
For a short while Volvo offered an N14plus ■■■■■■■ (525 hp) powered NH, with a mandatory RR. After the ■■■■■■■ Signature (620 hp) had been released, that engine was offered but only Volvo’s 14 speed transmission was available.

Star down under.:
Scania never offered anything but their own gearboxes here, but there were plenty of Road Rangers and Spicers fitted as the Scania boxes wore out or broke. Same applied to Volvo, as the American boxes were better, cheaper and more popular.
For a short while Volvo offered an N14plus ■■■■■■■ (525 hp) powered NH, with a mandatory RR. After the ■■■■■■■ Signature (620 hp) had been released, that engine was offered but only Volvo’s 14 speed transmission was available.

Hey,

In Australian, Scania had to offer the 140/141 with Fullers for legislation, to cope with acceleration time.

Eric,

Carryfast:

blackshadow:

I know a lot of the Scania V8’s had the Fullers fitted but that was aftermarket. My old girl still has the Scania box in it

Bumped up for a query by Essexpete on this evening’s Past & Present thread

Ro

OIbvbhP.jpg