"Transport for Christ"

newmercman:
I respect the right to choose, but have been surrounded by religious zealots for a number of years, I find that it’s not reciprocal. And choice is probably not the correct term for faith either, as converts apart, people of faith don’t have a choice. If you’re raised in a Christian family, you will be Christian, same for Muslim, Jewish, Catholic etc and even further, you will follow the particular sub section of that religion.

If you look you’ll find the reply you said I didn’t make above.

As for that lot Muslims maybe.

My Father often said that he was an atheist my Mum had a strict Catholic mother who married a not that bothered CofE husband.My Mum couldn’t get on with the Catholic stuff because she thought is was too complicated to understand but like going to CofE Church for services and both her and my dad were definitely married in Church.I thought I was an atheist like my Father but in the end thought that the Catholics have got most of it right although I’m supposedly CofE but I can take it all or leave it and don’t usually go to Church other than weddings etc.

Recent events have now made me a much stronger believer in the Church than before but still not a regular Church goer just as before.Also now not really that bothered between CofE or Catholic either way and no one makes me go to Church or says anything bad will happen to me if I don’t.While my philosophy now is I’m a believer.If I’m wrong at the end I haven’t lost anything just like myself and my mother thought when my dad was given a proper church send off to match his and her wedding.Hope that helps.

I see your reply now CF, dodgy internet connection meant half of the thread was missing. I still think you’re off your nut though mate lol.

I’m with you on the religious thing, I’ve always considered myself a hopeful agnostic, religion still gives me more questions than answers, but I lean more towards it being real until someone proves it isn’t, as opposed to believing its all nonsense until someone proves otherwise.

By definition, a “faith” is a belief in something, the existence of which cannot be proven.

Harry Monk:
By definition, a “faith” is a belief in something, the existence of which cannot be proven.

Put it this way Harry.If/when those of us who believe are proven right in that belief when it’s all revealed to us at the end what’s not to like.If it turns out that it was a misplaced belief we ain’t going to know anything about it and certainly won’t be bothered about complaining about it,unlike being conned by politicians in this world.IE think of it as a free bet at 1 million to 1,every second of your life, on a one horse race and no one says you have to take it. :bulb:

everystudent.com/wires/Godreal.html

Harry Monk:

Absolutely, however the opposite is also true, it cannot be disproved either. Until I get definitive proof one way or the other, I’m on the fence, albeit hopeful that there is an afterlife as I’m rather enjoying this one.

Carryfast:

Harry Monk:

Put it this way Harry.If/when those of us who believe are proven right in that belief when it’s all revealed to us at the end what’s not to like.If it turns out that it was a misplaced belief we ain’t going to know anything about it and certainly won’t be bothered about complaining about it,unlike being conned by politicians in this world.IE think of it as a free bet at 1 million to 1,every second of your life, on a one horse race and no one says you have to take it. :bulb:

The fact you believe in God just because ‘it’s a good bet’ says all anyone needs to know about you!

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

The fact you believe in God just because ‘it’s a good bet’ says all anyone needs to know about you!

I actually said it’s the ‘only’ bet.IE which part of a one horse race didn’t you understand.There’s a difference between that and what you’ve said.You’ve got it the wrong way round it’s a good bet ‘because’ I believe it.Maybe the fact that you’ve chosen to twist that around says more about you.

If it turns out to be a non runner when I check the result or the bookies have done a runner when I go to collect my ‘winnings’ I won’t know anything about it because either God is real or there is absolutely nothing at that point and I don’t believe it’s going to be the latter.That’s faith. Oh and by ‘winnings’ I just mean be reunited with lost friends and family anything else is just a bonus.

youtube.com/watch?v=CA_N_QVxbKg

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

I actually said it’s the ‘only’ bet.IE which part of a one horse race didn’t you understand.There’s a difference between that and what you’ve said.You’ve got it the wrong way round it’s a good bet ‘because’ I believe it.Maybe the fact that you’ve chosen to twist that around says more about you.

If it turns out to be a non runner when I check the result or the bookies have done a runner when I go to collect my ‘winnings’ I won’t know anything about it because either God is real or there is absolutely nothing at that point and I don’t believe it’s going to be the latter.That’s faith. Oh and by ‘winnings’ I just mean be reunited with lost friends and family anything else is just a bonus.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Well that comment went entirely over your head… :smiley:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

You’ve got it the wrong way round it’s a good bet ‘because’ I believe it.Maybe the fact that you’ve chosen to twist that around says more about you.

Well that comment went entirely over your head… :smiley:

How could I have missed anything when you’ve got the whole premise which I was going by the wrong way round.IE a bet based on/after a belief.Not a belief based on/after a bet.You did see the video I posted in which the message/code contained within DNA has converted many previously atheist scientists.Feel free to believe that the miracle which brought us into this world doesn’t continue when we move on.

On that note I was veering closer towards atheism when I was told similar around 30 years ago during my travels in the states.What a learning curve it’s been since which is a miracle in itself.

Typical, Carryfast has been reborn and he is still the same old Carryfast, just our bleeding luck!

Carryfast:
How could I have missed anything

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

newmercman:
Typical, Carryfast has been reborn and he is still the same old Carryfast, just our bleeding luck!

Look on the bright side I could have joined the scientologists. :open_mouth: :laughing: