Tramping vs days vs nights

eagerbeaver:

David H:
Here’s one opinion on the subject…

transportoperator.co.uk/2016/12/ … d-species/

Just read this article David, thanks for the link. Makes interesting reading.

2% of the LGV driving community were born in 1990. A somewhat useless fact really, I would prefer to know for example ’ What % of drivers are under 30 ’ ?

I took that to be from 1990, which would mean drivers 27 or under, I doubt the extra 3 years would make much difference to those figures.

eagerbeaver:

David H:

2% of the LGV driving community were born in 1990. A somewhat useless fact really, I would prefer to know for example ’ What % of drivers are under 30 ’ ?

Found some figures from 2015

4% over 65
47% over 50
7% under 30
1% under 25.

4 on 4 off nights suits me down to the ground. I’ve worked nights for all but 2 weeks of my HGV career. My reasons for this shift preference are: being something of a misanthrope I enjoy less traffic and fewer people (although that’s slowly changing), I’m a natural night owl, and the money has always been a little better. Further to that I always try and find 4 on 4 off jobs because the hours average out to be about 40ish per week, and I really appreciate 4 nights off each week, and, the money is usually a touch better. I’m not married, have no children, nor a mortgage, nor any other ties, so the balance of conventionally normal hours mixed with time off feels like a blessing.

In just doing day work at the moment and I enjoy it. It’s nice being home after doing coach work where I spent a lot of time away from my son. I virtually missed his first two years of life.

Having said that I also enjoyed being away which is why hopefully I’m looking into tramping because it dies appeal to be and the money is better.

The good thing though is that as evidenced by this thread there’s something to suit pretty much everyone

muckles:

eagerbeaver:

David H:

4% over 65
47% over 50
7% under 30
1% under 25.

Thanks mate.

47% over 50 :open_mouth: Care home city :grimacing:

eagerbeaver:

muckles:

eagerbeaver:

David H:

4% over 65
47% over 50
7% under 30
1% under 25.

Thanks mate.

47% over 50 :open_mouth: Care home city :grimacing:

The industry have no one else to blame except themselves, they’ve known about this for over 20 years, but have done nothing they had a bit of breathing space with the influx of East European drivers, but that has gone through the system, and the existing drivers are now another 10 to 15 year closer to retirement.
All the industry have done is have a load stunts telling the media what a great job it is, :confused: and crawl cap in hand to the Government trying to get funding for training.
Not only have they not achieved a mass recruitment from a new generation, but they’ve done nothing to address the retention issue of existing drivers. The problem is real solutions will cost money, in improved pay, less hours and improved conditions and if they want trampers, then proper parking facilities, but the big players are more concerned about cutting rates than getting drivers.

I for one am pleased I’ve got into doing what I do, I certainly wouldn’t look forward to getting back into general haulage…

I’ve just given up my job tramping, was tramping in a 64 plate DAF ssc with a 68 tonne/metre crane, mon to fri, very rarely weekends or Bank holidays, because I was fed up commuting from Scotland to Thurrock on a fortnightly basis. Now on for XPO delivering to Booker Cash & Carry, not very demanding job, but home every night, dropped around £20,000 grand including night out money, only two weeks so far, but I miss the solitude, might end up going back as he’s never off the phone asking me already, gimme another month with the missus and I might call him.

Sapper

Malaga to Calais return means 4-5 nights out, weekends at home though. Money is why we all do it surely. I pile as much away as possible to retire early. Tbh though im not one to worry about being away, the missus and home will still be there when im back. I am getting a bit too used to having time off though i will admit, she did Portugal last week and doing my regular run this week, being able to do my own thing, walk along the beach and eat out in the town ive done every day for the duration… :smiley:

Being someone looking to get into the industry.
Could people say what there rough income was doing each type of work?
Be nice to know the types of income people generate around doing different shifts, types of work.
Gives something to think about whether wanna chase the money or have a better life/Work balance. Or a mix of both with 4on/4off work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I do every job I’m offered because expensive ex wives and bad financial decisions state that I must … :slight_smile:

Never wanted nights or early starts. What I’ve liked has largely depended on where I was in my life. Before the kids were born, ultra long haul Euro tramping, away for weeks and even months at a time, then midweek tramping and occasional weekends away, now I can’t be done with nights out and haven’t done one since I sold my truck, start at 0600, finish at 1700, go to the same place every day.

For me I’m on tramping now for money. Purely money. Yes you get some decent runs out compared to days where sometimes you might just be messing about all day with local collections, but if I didn’t need money id be straight on days or nights now. Family time you can’t buy back. Not knowing until Friday lunch time if you’ve got a full weekend off or not.

Jmarks1227:
Be nice to know the types of income people generate around doing different shifts, types of work.
Gives something to think about whether wanna chase the money or have a better life/Work balance. Or a mix of both with 4on/4off work.

Re. Money

Just too many variables (which firm, what work, which area of UK etc) to give approx typical wages.

Looks like it’s all about the 20 quid for a days work that they are all interested in trampers
I suppose a 100 quid a week can make a huge difference to someone’s lifestyle I just don’t get it how someone could let themselves be treated like dirt for 20 quid and at the same time mind all the gear for that.
It must have been a hard life with whatever they were doing before that

I did 17 years on rotas of all sorts of shifts on the buses so now I’m doing Mon to Fri days,6 or 7 o’clock starts and finished early evening (usually) with weekends to myself.Money is not great but much happier now. :smiley: :smiley:

I used to work maximum hours for NFT Alfreton as a day man. I would spend about an hour and a quarter each day commuting. I worked more than 50% of the weekends.

I now work Monday to Friday tramping as a car transporter driver. I try to start as early as the work allows on a Monday and I’m often finished by lunchtime/early afternoon on a Friday. My latest finish has been about 18.30 in over two years of this job. With night out allowance I have a minimum £250 a week extra in the bank each week, often much more.
As well as my holidays, I usually have two weeks every six months where I am paid over £110 a day to stay at home on compulsory rest.

I now have more money, more sleep each day and more family time than the day work I was doing previously. I would also sooner spend 75 minutes loading the transporter in cold torrential rain than sitting in the Morrisons Wakefield waiting rooms.

raymundo:
I do every job I’m offered because expensive ex wives and bad financial decisions state that I must … :slight_smile:

I have three of those expensive ex wife thingies. All long since paid off though. I do have another high maintenance one, shes worth it though…now wheres that ’ oh ffs pass the bucket’ smiley… :grimacing:

Jmarks1227:

It varies wildly, even within the same type of work. Location plays a big part too.

For me doing general I clear 500 a week take home fairlt easily based in South Midlands.

People will sneer at that but that’s Monday to Friday days with no nights out and no weekends. Stick a night out in there its more, work a Saturday or Sunday and it’s more again.

AndrewG:

raymundo:

I have three of those expensive ex wife thingies. All long since paid off though. I do have another high maintenance one, shes worth it though…now wheres that ’ oh ffs pass the bucket’ smiley… :grimacing:

My present wife is 27 years younger than me and when we met and got together I thought it was my large thick ■■■■ or thick wallet that kept us together but after 21 years she is still here and I no longer have a thick wallet or a thick ■■■■, so is this love or now just a habit ■■? :laughing:

raymundo:

AndrewG:

raymundo:

My present wife is 27 years younger than me and when we met and got together I thought it was my large thick ■■■■ or thick wallet that kept us together but after 21 years she is still here and I no longer have a thick wallet or a thick ■■■■, so is this love or now just a habit ■■? :laughing:

Comfort and familiarity :laughing: