Trampers - What do you spend?

Stock up with tins, dried food etc for the week, probably about £30, then fresh sandwiches etc during the week another £15. Sometimes stop at truckstops, company pays parking including meal voucher, but avoid MSA as bays aren’t long enough for a max length W&D and I feel a bit vulnerable stuck out in front of everything else!

Adonis.:

adam277:

Adonis.:
On the road, nothing other than £10 max all week for showers. Very rarely eat out at all, self catering is much cheaper, tastier and healthier. I can succumb to the smell of a good fry up once in a while though. Can’t even remember the last time I paid for parking, though I get it back minus any meal vouchers.

It costs me around £30 on food and things for the week prior to going away.

A.

I wish I had your discipline.

A big part is avoiding parking in services or truckstops, if the temptation isn’t there you can’t get tempted :wink: There is also the fact most places have utter crap food.

A good breakfast helps too, usually cereal and fruit or scrambled eggs if I have the time.

A.

^
This
Avoid truckstops or pay for services and you save a small fortune. Cooking for yourself also avoids the crap fried ■■■■■ and at least if theres body debris on the plate like hair ect its only going to be your own…

AndrewG:

Adonis.:

adam277:

Adonis.:
On the road, nothing other than £10 max all week for showers. Very rarely eat out at all, self catering is much cheaper, tastier and healthier. I can succumb to the smell of a good fry up once in a while though. Can’t even remember the last time I paid for parking, though I get it back minus any meal vouchers.

It costs me around £30 on food and things for the week prior to going away.

A.

I wish I had your discipline.

A big part is avoiding parking in services or truckstops, if the temptation isn’t there you can’t get tempted :wink: There is also the fact most places have utter crap food.

A good breakfast helps too, usually cereal and fruit or scrambled eggs if I have the time.

A.

^
This
Avoid truckstops or pay for services and you save a small fortune. Cooking for yourself also avoids the crap fried [zb] and at least if theres body debris on the plate like hair ect its only going to be your own…

I do this and have lost a 1 1/2 stone in 2 months :open_mouth: I may have some chips on a Thursday if I’m staying in yard as local chippy is good

I spend about £20ish a week and the cost of my microwave inverter and kettle I will gain back by not buying crap food from vans and MSA

blue estate:
I spend about £20ish a week and the cost of my microwave inverter and kettle I will gain back by not buying crap food from vans and MSA

This is what its about and theres nothing not to like, a lot healthier way of eating especially if using fresh ingredients and saves a whole heap of money. Only slight downside is a little food prep time and some washing up but i find its never really much more than a plate, saucepan and some cutlery…

AndrewG:

blue estate:

This is what its about and theres nothing not to like, a lot healthier way of eating especially if using fresh ingredients and saves a whole heap of money. Only slight downside is a little food prep time and some washing up but i find its never really much more than a plate, saucepan and some cutlery…

Same here and I make sure when I make a cuppa to go with dinner I boil more than I need for tea to use for washing up

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me it varies from week to week.
Some weeks (mostly winter or crap weather) I will eat all week in cab.
The wife makes me fresh ready meals to microwave, such as sheperds pie, lasagne, curries, kung pow chicken, or even left overs from a Sunday roast, so it’s hard to put a price on those really, I prefer them to supermarket ready meals, and they are healthier…

Other weeks I will have a mixture of in cab and going for pub meals (preferably Wetherspoons) with a beer, (or a couple more than one if I meet a mate and/or get a lie in)
A pub meal will be a tenner or even less depending on what I have.

My fixed costs every week are 6 pts milk about £2, fruit grapes bananas £5. Cereal, 1 box about 2 to 3 weeks, rolls and butter £3 or so. Half a dozen bottles of beer in fridge. Tea and coffee etc.

So basically it does not cost a lot for me to be out.
As for cooked breakfasts I occasionally have one as a ‘treat’ once a fortnight or sometimes go with out one for longer, the last time was about 6 weeks ago.

Takeaways I never bother with unless really stuck.

Burger vans I avoid like crabs…, although one or two of the more upmarket ones, usually on retail parks, do good roast meat rolls which I like. Hartlepool and Abingdon spring to mind.
Some places we park, truckstops I will use the voucher and shower facilities. (I get reimbursed for parking)

I rarely pay for a shower as I will use the facilities where I am loading or tipping, and get a shower every day if I can, sometimes twice a day in heatwaves…I’m a ‘trampER’ not the stereotype ‘tramp’ perception by the daymen on here. :bulb:

Thanks again guys. Any more for any more? :grimacing:

I carry a few tins with me to make a sandwich at lunch time. Tuna, or mackerel, with fresh tomatoes, and a fresh baguette.
Breakfast may be muesli with fresh fruit, or maybe coffee and croissants in a cafe.
Evening meals on a Monday are almost always in the cab, salad or soup, but something light. Rest of the week probably in a restaurant, safer cleaner parking, showers, plus freshly cooked food and at about 13 euro for 4 courses with a little wine and coffee, and a bit of conversation is not to be ignored.

We aren’t allowed stoves etc in the cab (sackable offence if caught) but the company has a local agreement with the tax office for £36 tax free per night.
I spend around £30 a week on salad stuff and fruit for my fridge (cook chicken portions etc at home to be eaten with the salad) does me 2-3 days & night then go for a walk most nights to the pub for a beer or two and eat out once or twice a week (rarely take away usualy 'Spoons/Toby/Harvester type pub grub etc. Most of our fepots etc have showers so rarely pay for facilities as shower before parking up so all in all with toiletries etc counted in and with beers (2-3 pints most nights) I guess around £50 -£60 per week. As long as it’s less than my £36 night out money per day/night it doesn’t bother me. My subsistence money is for me to live on not to bulk up my wages. That’s how it was when my dad introduced me to the job in the 60’s/70’s & how I’ve always viewed my night out money.

Thanks all, much appreciated.

I spend about £40 a week on food etc from the supermarket.
Pay for parking maybe once a week so say £30(refunded by employer)
And around £40 a week on cigarettes.
So weekly expenditure of approximately £110

I spend about 60 on cigs, about 40 on provisions, and about 10-15 a day on eating out. Can’t beat getting out of truck and sitting at a table and eating a hot meal. This is my life, not gonna be scrimping just to survive, family doesn’t go without-so il be damned if I’m gonna live on a fiver a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk