Toys R Us and Maplins go down

Marlins also had the misfortune to be bought by a private equity co,who rolled the purchase price into debt then expected to take a 15% annual return,possibly as much to do with there downfall as a ‘cost increase’ in products?

Its all down to evolution ,survival of the fittest sort of thing. I remember Liptons tea and his chain of stores but they were all bought out by bigger operations. You see it in haulage every town had a lorry firm of some sort ,but not now.

corij:
it looks like therell be a run of big brand name store closures coming up, must be about time for another disaster on the high street whos next ? in the papers they love all that. when you think about it the running costs on those big premises must be thru the roof.

Think Mothercare & Debenhams are in trouble

Toy R Us were over priced you could find the same but much cheaper else were that was probable easier to get to even there sal stuff not worth it as just the same price as other places

Animal…Debenhams have reported below average profits…think theyre part of a larger group…but here in Chatham i see their store almost empty every time i visit…over priced for this area, even if its good quality…such a shame, and its a very big building right in the middle of the high st…cant see anyone taking that over with 4 floors…the camping shop is also in trouble in the high st, but theres a rumour that Lidl is gona take that over…it was a Tesco at one time…times are tough.

My daughter is constantly having clothes delivered from ASOS and one or 2 others. Easy, cheap - and simple to return goods. This is what the high street can’t compete with especially low priced stuff.

Mothercare will struggle soon, all this gender fluidity nonsense will mean there won’t be many mothers to care for in the future.

As said, the big box stores killed off the little high street shops, they also affected the fate of suppliers, in my day you had Matchbox, Corgi and Dinky cars and lorries, action men, Scalextric, Hornby train sets and Raleigh bikes, all of those companies have had financial troubles since the demise of the high st toy shop.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

newmercman:
, all this gender fluidity nonsense will mean there won’t be many mothers to care for in the future.

Ah God that subject makes me sick. What’s the latest, non binary gender? :unamused: instead of mother’s to be, NHS we’re considering “parents to be”. :unamused: . What a load of tosh.

I don’t agree with everything he said. But I agreed with Christopher Hitchens when he said this culture of victim hood is appealing to the infantile nature of humans. Whiny toddlers throwing tantrums to have their way.

They’re trying to make zebra crossings in rainbow colours in parts of Canada to support the LGBTQ community and apparently mankind, female, woman and women are now considered to be sexist terms.

newmercman:
They’re trying to make zebra crossings in rainbow colours in parts of Canada to support the LGBTQ community and apparently mankind, female, woman and women are now considered to be sexist terms.

It’s a load of ■■■■■■■■. Why not just get on and do what you want in private. There’s no friggin pavements painted to celebrate heterosexuality. Being a bloke I don’t get a monk on when the ladies toilets is called “the ladies” and has a picture of a figure wearing a dress.

If You want to call yourself “non gender” , a giraffe, whatever. That’s their thing. But I won’t be forced to ditch scientific facts and use non ■■■ terms to shut up people’s whims. Anymore than I’d tolerate being forced to acknowledge someone is a unicorn.

Anyway. I’m pulling this thread off topic. Sorry :laughing: :blush:

I wish I was a unicorn, then I could stab these idiots with my head.

Freight Dog:

newmercman:

It’s a load of ■■■■■■■■. Why not just get on and do what you want in private. There’s no friggin pavements painted to celebrate heterosexuality. Being a bloke I don’t get a monk on when the ladies toilets is called “the ladies” and has a picture of a figure wearing a dress.

If You want to call yourself “non gender” , a giraffe, whatever. That’s their thing. But I won’t be forced to ditch scientific facts and use non ■■■ terms to shut up people’s whims. Anymore than I’d tolerate being forced to acknowledge someone is a unicorn.

There are not too many places in the world where it’s illegal to be heterosexual though. I don’t personally know of any place where you can be executed for being heterosexual. And we don’t have a history in this country of criminalizing heterosexuality. Heck - it’s unlikely you will get your head kicked in for simply being heterosexual in some parts of the UK.

Now generally I agree with you. I don’t care what someone is or isn’t. I don’t care about their personal life - I’m more focused on my own and the people I love. However, if I can make someone a bit happier by doing something trivial then I’ll happily do it. If homosexual people feel more accepted (given the disgusting way they have been treated) if they can celebrate their ■■■■■■■■■ it’s all good with me. And if a person wants to dress in a none conventional way then they can crack on.

And if someone wants to be called a unicorn then that’s okay as well. Life is too short to worry about what makes someone else happy. We arn’t changing Science by using those names. Any more than a security guard/forklift driver is changing your name when they call you ‘drive’.

sammym:

Freight Dog:

newmercman:

There are not too many places in the world where it’s illegal to be heterosexual though. I don’t personally know of any place where you can be executed for being heterosexual. And we don’t have a history in this country of criminalizing heterosexuality. Heck - it’s unlikely you will get your head kicked in for simply being heterosexual in some parts of the UK.

Now generally I agree with you. I don’t care what someone is or isn’t. I don’t care about their personal life - I’m more focused on my own and the people I love. However, if I can make someone a bit happier by doing something trivial then I’ll happily do it. If homosexual people feel more accepted (given the disgusting way they have been treated) if they can celebrate their ■■■■■■■■■ it’s all good with me. And if a person wants to dress in a none conventional way then they can crack on.

And if someone wants to be called a unicorn then that’s okay as well. Life is too short to worry about what makes someone else happy. We arn’t changing Science by using those names. Any more than a security guard/forklift driver is changing your name when they call you ‘drive’.

This.

sammym:
There are not too many places in the world where it’s illegal to be heterosexual though.

And neither is homosexuality illegal in the U.K anymore. And has not been illegal for some time.

sammym:
And if someone wants to be called a unicorn then that’s okay as well.

As I did say, I cited if someone wants to be called a giraffe that’s ok.

sammym:
Life is too short to worry about what makes someone else happy.

I am not. You are putting up a straw man argument to fight, as is consitant throughout most of your reply.

sammym:
We arn’t changing Science by using those names.

Wrong again. I did not state this will change science.

I said I won’t be forced to “ditch scientific facts”. It is a scientific fact is there only exists male and female sexes in humans. I don’t see why public sineage, public announcements and people should start tip toeing around using different, non scientifically acceptable nomenclature. This has absolutely nothing to do with worrying or preventing people doing what they want to do. Quite the opposite, I’m being asked to do it.

I’m pretty sure everyone, but the biggest of bigots, has no problem with anybody’s ■■■■■■ persuasion nowadays, after all it’s a private thing, or it should be and the shouting it from the rooftops making a big announcement about ■■■■■■■■■ or gender identity is where the friction starts.

I don’t ever recall bringing my turn ons or ■■■■■■ persuasion into a conversation with anyone who wasn’t about to be on the receiving end of a large portion and to be completely honest, anybody that brings that up in a conversation is not a person I want to listen to, it doesn’t matter if it’s a once a month lights out ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ session with the wife or through a glory hole in Newport Pagnell services while they’re crossdressing and identifying as a non binary unicorn, keep it to yourself, then you won’t be offended by the opinion of others.

newmercman:
I’m pretty sure everyone, but the biggest of bigots, has no problem with anybody’s ■■■■■■ persuasion nowadays, after all it’s a private thing, or it should be and the shouting it from the rooftops making a big announcement about ■■■■■■■■■ or gender identity is where the friction starts.

I don’t ever recall bringing my turn ons or ■■■■■■ persuasion into a conversation with anyone who wasn’t about to be on the receiving end of a large portion and to be completely honest, anybody that brings that up in a conversation is not a person I want to listen to, it doesn’t matter if it’s a once a month lights out ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ session with the wife or through a glory hole in Newport Pagnell services while they’re crossdressing and identifying as a non binary unicorn, keep it to yourself, then you won’t be offended by the opinion of others.

Why should it? I have a facebook profile picture with my partner and me in Paris. I introduce her as my partner. And I feel no shame or fear in doing so. If I want to publically broadcast I’m in love and happy what is the problem? If a gay couple do the same who cares?

Honestly… how many times has a homosexual or a straight person told you their graphic ■■■■■■ preferences? I know a few lads from the army who were immature (as I was) who not only told me but showed me photos and videos. But I’m yet to get this from anyone who is homosexual, personally.

Gay pride etc - is not about advertising your turn-ons. It’s about celebrating the freedom we now have in this great country. Where people are not locked up for loving whoever they want. Where they are not killed. And it’s a symbol that others do not need to be afraid or feel ashamed. The best part of it is that if you are not interested you can ignore it. I don’t like football - so ignore the world cup which has far more coverage and publicity, it’s the same thing.

newmercman:

That sums up my feelings too. Well put. I’ve a couple of mates from work who are gay. But you almost have to think about it to remember. It’s not their identity. Same as me being heterosexual isn’t my identity. They get on like anyone I know, their private stuff is private stuff.

My main issue was not to do with ■■■■■■■■■. It’s to do with the cases of changing public facing nomenclature and announcements to actively avoid male or female terms so as not to afford an opportune moment for someone (something should we say now in case not human?) to take ownership of some “offence”

Easy tiger, you’re making some big assumptions there. I never said I had a problem with anybody being gay, nor with gay pride, or same ■■■ couples displaying affection. I mentioned rainbow zebra crossings, but didn’t give an opinion on them either way.

What I do have a problem with is stupid people, like those who get offended by being referred to as male or female, you have a ■■■■■, you’re male, got a ■■■■■■, then you’re female, regardless of what you want to be that day, which ■■■ you decide to share your genitalia with is also irrelevant.

newmercman:

Amazing how many people think that being gay is just about ■■■…

Freight Dog:
Wrong again. I did not state this will change science.

I said I won’t be forced to “ditch scientific facts”. It is a scientific fact is there only exists male and female sexes in humans. I don’t see why public sineage, public announcements and people should start tip toeing around using different, non scientifically acceptable nomenclature. This has absolutely nothing to do with worrying or preventing people doing what they want to do. Quite the opposite, I’m being asked to do it.

Normally Freight Dog, you’re spot on. But I’m afraid in this case you’re not.

How do you define gender?

■■■■■■■■? What about hermaphrodites? People who are born with indefinable ■■■■■■■■? In the olden days it was considered easier to remove male appearing appendages and leaving the infant “female”. Not always the right choice.

Hormones? Remarkably unreliable. Many many cases of men with breast tissue and women with beards because of a hormone imbalance.

Genetics. Surely the wonder discovery of genetics won’t let us down? As anyone with Downs syndrome will tell you, an extra chromosome in pair 23 can have a huge impact on someone’s life. To determine gender, females have two x chromosomes whilst males have an x and y. An extra x chromosome would give you xxy, effectively making someone male AND female.

As a teacher I had to have a lot of training to raise awareness of these issues (sadly i cannot remember all the information i learnt) and like Sammy says above, attitudes in the past have been far from favourable to people who don’t fit into an “acceptable model”.

I do agree with you though with regards to current thinking. Things have swung too far, teachers being punished for misgendering, gender neutral labels on toilets etc. It’s all well and good not calling a group of girls “girls” for fear of upsetting someone, but what about the rest who wish to be identified as girls?

switchlogic:

newmercman:

Amazing how many people think that being gay is just about ■■■…

Well it is isn’t it, the only difference between a homosexual and a heterosexual is which ■■■ they are attracted to and which one they practice the act with. Or do I have that wrong?

I know people that are gay, some are flamboyant, others fit the stereotype of a man’s man (pardon the pun) to me this emphasises the point that gay people are just the same as anybody else, the only difference being they are not attracted to the opposite ■■■. This is the point the LGBTQ community has been trying to make surely?