Towmaster transport

did one of the towmaster artics many years ago appear in a tv commercial for possibly michelin tyres?

Hi Larry,
Don’t recall a commercial with one of their wagons. Maybe before my time. I would love to have seen that one.

Michelin Tyres, for when you really need to stop!

That would be irony mate, Towmaster wagons never stopped!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hilltop4

Still looking for more pictures and been in touch with couple of other old drivers and told them about site.
As for visiting benaby site yes mate spent many a night in the pig and in their local club. Dinner in glass works canteen washed and changed back to yard to park up and out. Great bunch of lads up there. All on our way tramping around the UK either loaded with bottles or on the way back from Scotland loaded with whisky.

I will dig out some more pictures though mate.

Hi ajcampbell,

Thanks again mate. Its nice to heare that your experience with the Donny lads was a memorable one. Do you recall any names of the drivers?

I have loads of pictures of the Denaby yard that I can post on here. It is very much just as it was then…it may be a good blast from the past for you. If you want me to post them jus let me know.

Sadly, I don’t have any more images of the wagons. That is one regret…that I didn’t take more when I was a kid in the yard.

Keep in touch mate, and can’t wait to see anymore shots you have, they are a real nostalgia overload!!! :smiley:

Shaun.

I worked for Towmaster out of Stratford (on Avon) from 1990-91 when we were taken over by Bookers and wound up. I’m attaching 3 pictures, the Guiness trailer is photoshopped, but that’s how it looked, the others are as is. We had the blue Renault G290s, but I preferred to hang on to the Merc as the night drivers didn’t want it…

Hi Hilltop.
I worked out of Denaby between 1978 and 1988 as a tramper. I was 23 and started on a ERF (R reg) in the old livery. After 2 more cast offs I eventually got a new Merc A226 YWE in April 1984. I can relate to a lot of the pictures and identify the depots. No-one seems to be talking about the deots at Irlam and Grantown-on Spey.
I can give a good list of Denaby drivers and the odd few from Broxburn and Sheerness.
I can answer the question on Blocker. This was Alan Lockwood who was the shunter at the glass works in Swinton.
The scotsman with the Scania at Denaby was Jock Brown from Mexborough.

Hop ths helps for now and I think I can answer a lot more questions for anyone.

Brooky

Hi Shaun
One for you mate. I worked at Denaby with your Dad Stuart (StuMac) and can reel off a list of names for you. I am Keith Brook. There was
Jack Norton, Tommy Davies, Elvin Dalton, Melvyn Schofield, Bob Wing, Don Winder, Ian Gillan, Stuart Allen. Stuart Whitehead, Rex Harrison,
Danny Brown, Malc Otterwell, Dave Stevens (Shop Stward), Alan Roper, Dave Vickers ,Hebert Ramsden, Dennis Monaghan. Mick Bertram, Dave Sanderson,
I was only 23 when I started in 1978, but I have good memories of my ten years at Towmaster and of all the names above, most of who I have had nights out with along the way.
Hope a few of the above are still around and can remember the good days.

Talk soon Shaun.

Hi brooky & Shaun,jock brown is a blast from the past,he drove for scotherns for quite a while,had one of the first marathons in south Yorkshire,alan roper is still driving,for what used to be castle cement Hanson/Heidelberg near Stamford,regards alan

Hi Guys, sorry not been on here for a while, just been a bit busy. Was thrilled to see some of the gaps filled in on stuff, thanks very much. Dad is still around, and doing well, though been retired now a bit. He finished his driving with GIST (formerly BOC Transhield).

I certainly rememebr one or two of the names you listed, Dave Stevens - lived in Brampton, and had a near fatal accident whist driving the wagon, Tommy Davies - always used to remind me of BOON off the telly, Danny Brown - wasnt that the fair haired fella with the bad limp■■?. There were a few Stuarts, and a remember one in particular - an ex serviceman who sported a scar from a bullit in Norhtern Ireland before Towmaster.

The denaby yard is still there, and even the railway sleepers used as stoppers are still in situ…do you remember Yorkshire Bottle storage up at Bawtry?

Thanks for the balst from the past, loving it, keep in touch lads, and if you have any more pics, please post up soon.

Thanks again
Shaun McDermott

PS - A few years agao, I also bumped into (by pure chance) a chap called Mick Sazda who also worked there, remember him?..dad says he was a gaffa of some sort■■?

I thought I would try and resurrect this thread as it seems to have gone quite…any of you guys remember Mick Sazda?

Or maybe you recall the water fronted yard that the lads from Towmaster regularly delivered to in Birkenhead■■?

Cheers guys, keep the memories flooding!

Shaun McDermott (son of StuMac)

brooky:
Hi Shaun
One for you mate. I worked at Denaby with your Dad Stuart (StuMac) and can reel off a list of names for you. I am Keith Brook. There was
Jack Norton, Tommy Davies, Elvin Dalton, Melvyn Schofield, Bob Wing, Don Winder, Ian Gillan, Stuart Allen. Stuart Whitehead, Rex Harrison,
Danny Brown, Malc Otterwell, Dave Stevens (Shop Stward), Alan Roper, Dave Vickers ,Hebert Ramsden, Dennis Monaghan. Mick Bertram, Dave Sanderson,
I was only 23 when I started in 1978, but I have good memories of my ten years at Towmaster and of all the names above, most of who I have had nights out with along the way.

Talk soon Shaun.

I worked with Bob Wing at Magnet Southern and Syd Woods the last I heard he was at Trusswell but I think he will be retired now as he is as old as “Revman” :laughing: :laughing: nearly as old as me then :wink: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie

sammyopisite:

brooky:
Hi Shaun

Talk soon Shaun.

I worked with Bob Wing at Magnet Southern and Syd Woods the last I heard he was at Trusswell but I think he will be retired now as he is as old as “Revman” :laughing: :laughing: nearly as old as me then :wink: :laughing:
cheers Johnnie

Saw alan roper on M25 today he’s working for wot was castle cement Hanson Heidelberg group,not caught you up yet jonnie :angry: :laughing:

I was on Towmasters at Queenborough Depot from 1977 to 1979 this is the period when they changed from Red & White to Blue & Red, some of the drivers I remember were Billy Beard, Adrian Campbell, Murray Gibson, Cliff Gardener (he died in a Motorbike accident on Detling Hill) George Hill, Jordy, Clive, & Mick Craygan, The Manager was Gordon ? he died in 1978 heart attack I think? Transport Manager was Jack Falkner. The night men used to C/O at Junc 14 on the M1 every night with the Doncaster lads & drop the trailers into Vauxhall Bridge car park (yes a full load of Bells whisky under sheets left alone!) Tenbury Wells was a regular run where we would stop at the Windrush Café on the A40 for a Gut Buster, nights out (Dodgies) were mostly at the Merry Chest on the A2 ( where we spent a few hours) or Beef Stake corner (which was about 2 miles from the Depot) Just couldn’t get all the way back…Honest. I wish I had some photos of them days but sadly not, but glad I found this page. Best Regards ■■■■ Matthew

A few more names for you. ■■■■ knight malk cutts derik widowson jeff dutton. My dad ■■■■ worked at deneby:D

hilltop4:
Hi Guys, sorry not been on here for a while, just been a bit busy. Was thrilled to see some of the gaps filled in on stuff, thanks very much. Dad is still around, and doing well, though been retired now a bit. He finished his driving with GIST (formerly BOC Transhield).

I certainly rememebr one or two of the names you listed, Dave Stevens - lived in Brampton, and had a near fatal accident whist driving the wagon, Tommy Davies - always used to remind me of BOON off the telly, Danny Brown - wasnt that the fair haired fella with the bad limp■■?. There were a few Stuarts, and a remember one in particular - an ex serviceman who sported a scar from a bullit in Norhtern Ireland before Towmaster.

The denaby yard is still there, and even the railway sleepers used as stoppers are still in situ…do you remember Yorkshire Bottle storage up at Bawtry?

Thanks for the balst from the past, loving it, keep in touch lads, and if you have any more pics, please post up soon.

Thanks again
Shaun McDermott

PS - A few years agao, I also bumped into (by pure chance) a chap called Mick Sazda who also worked there, remember him?..dad says he was a gaffa of some sort■■?

Fantastic thread, it’s why I love T-net, as I always remembered seeing Towmasters about in the 70s/80s when I used to go with my Grandad & stepdad in their lorries as a kid ! I remember seeing the ERFs & Mercs.
The Renaults I remember being the last Towmaster lorries I recall seeing in the earl 90s when I started driving !
I always remember seeing Towmaster trailers dropped at an ind est right on the A580 at Haydock !

brooky:
Hi Hilltop.
I worked out of Denaby between 1978 and 1988 as a tramper. I was 23 and started on a ERF (R reg) in the old livery. After 2 more cast offs I eventually got a new Merc A226 YWE in April 1984. I can relate to a lot of the pictures and identify the depots. No-one seems to be talking about the deots at Irlam and Grantown-on Spey.

I used to work out of the Grantown on Spey depot early 80s. By the time I started they had moved from the F7s onto 1628 Mercs as in some of the photos in the thread before ending up with the blue Renaults. We also had a few F10s and I ended up with a white Merc 2028 in Distillers Company Cereals livery Up north we concentrated on Distillery products from delivering malt to the “Bells” Stills around the area using CLVs (crown locked vehicles with hatches on the top and underfloor hoppers for emptying. Then there was the whisky cask delivery and upload of the filled ones and also spirit tankers mostly for central belt storage warehouses.
Some of the names associated with the North depot were D McKenzie (gaffer), I Murray Snr and Jnr, me (Doddie Munro), Ricky Stewart, Ian Chaisson, Geordie MacDonald, Ike Strachan and Willie Thompson plus 3 guys in Dufftown, Brian MacDonald, Ronnie Grant and Neil (forgot his surname).

I came across these two photos on e-bay tonight, so its well worth blowing the dust off this thread. It’s hard to believe the Y reg has a day cab, compared to the X reg sleeper. Anyone know why? What height were those trailers? No wings over the trailer wheels either. I recall a lot of the trailers were supplied by Central Trailers

I worked with Bob Wing at Magnet Southern and Syd Woods the last I heard he was at Trusswell but I think he will be retired now as he is as old as “Revman” [emoji38][emoji38] nearly as old as me then :wink:[emoji38]
cheers Johnnie

Bob is retired. Been retired about 6 years.
Doin well from what I hear.
His lad works at Truswell.

Used to work with Les Botwood.
He worked at Towmaster.
Finished at Walkers and Truswell but been retired about 12 years now.
Both nice blokes.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk