To the slaughterhouse

Still nothing found about different intellects? Gosh I am surprised. :laughing:

jakethesnake:
Still nothing found about different intellects? Gosh I am surprised. :laughing:

I’m told that different animals do behave differently when going to abattoir (I’ve never done livestock work myself). Pigs for example are fully aware of why they are there and exhibit great fear whereas lambs go, well, like lambs to the slaughter.

jakethesnake:

jakethesnake:

Harry Monk:

jakethesnake:
Ha, cpc and you believe it although it’s vague as well. I can assure you when it comes to transporting animals they ALL have to be treated properly and it’s naff all to do with intellect.
Unfortunately not all drivers stick to the rules though.

This is the Operator’s CPC I’m talking about here, not the driver CPC. I believe the maximum transport times and minimum rest periods are different for different animals. I’ll see if I can find a reference online as I don’t have my manual to hand.

Ah, you should have said. I did it myself back in the 80’s , can’t remember much meself. Jeez it was a lot to remember and a proper exam at the end!

Lucky you did it then because the current operator CPC exam is harder again :laughing: in my opinion. I am sure there are some on here who will have done both. In the 80’s it was 2 multiple choice papers, now there’s a multiple choice and a written exam.

That never bothered me but when there was the foot and mouth disease cull on the go I went to an abbatoir in Saltcoates and had to drive past skips full of cows skulls complete with eyeballs still in which had been coated in a blue dye and I found that a bit disturbing.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

what dont you like about the colour blue■■?

Who remembers the Harris Bacon Factory at Ipswich?? I got a job there taking down the ear numbers after coming out of the scalding tub and hung up, came through in batches and sometimes they had the same number so just wrote that down for the whole batch. Had a batch of 100 came through and after a few with the same I continued with the remainder but … actually there was 10 batches of 10 and they were reared by Fisons the animal feed firm and all fed different quality and quantity to find out which was best !!! I handed my notice in before I was sacked … :slight_smile:

Lucky you did it then because the current operator CPC exam is harder again :laughing: in my opinion. I am sure there are some on here who will have done both. In the 80’s it was 2 multiple choice papers, now there’s a multiple choice and a written exam.

Yeah I quite believe it although the rules and regs change so much I really don’t know how people keep up. It was City and Guilds when I did it but I believe that has changed now.
It was tough for me at the time but it helped my career tremendously but it’s all over now (retired) :laughing:

I worked in 2 abattoirs when I left school, 4 yrs in total (3yrs at the first then a year at the second one). I started off working in the lairage and then went working on the line. I’ve worked with cows, sheep and pigs. It’s takes a while to get used to it but I grew up on a farm so I was well aware of what they were like before I went working there.

People say pigs are more aware but I don’t think they are. They follow the rest just like cows and sheep. Pigs can be more awkward at times but that’s just the way they are on farms too. Working with cattle in the lairage can be very dangerous. I’ve been kicked many times, had them charge at me and was pinned up against a wall by a bull whichh really isn’t good but it was just part of the job and you got on with it. Never had any trouble from protesters in the 4yrs I did the job.

Worked on a farm MANY years ago now, that breed livestock for meat. In the beginning, I only dropped off the livestock at the lairage. That’s all I saw and knew of what went on at a slaughterhouse…

Shortly after, the BSE ‘fiasco’ kicked off…

Had to then take a telehandler with the biggest bucket (usually a grain loading bucket), to a slaughter house and sit at a set of doors where the ‘roughly’ chopped up carcases would be tipped into your bucket, and you’d load sealed bulk artic tippers all day…

That’s when I saw the whole job from killing to chopping. And because the animals weren’t for human consumption, you could go in and ‘help’…

Never knew how heavy a single cow hide was 'til then! :open_mouth:

waddy640:
I used to live near a slaughter house that dealt with pigs and the way they were driven there was appalling. When I applied for a driving job there I was told "We prefer not to employ English people.

Wales?

halewood:

waddy640:
I used to live near a slaughter house that dealt with pigs and the way they were driven there was appalling. When I applied for a driving job there I was told "We prefer not to employ English people.

Wales?

No, England. They employed a number of East Europeans at the time but it was an English person I spoke to.

[Lucky you did it then because the current operator CPC exam is harder again :laughing: in my opinion. I am sure there are some on here who will have done both. In the 80’s it was 2 multiple choice papers, now there’s a multiple choice and a written exam.
[/quote]
Plus the instructor probably knew nothing about the subject, simply read from their notes. In the case of queries the response was “I’ll get back to you next week”.

waddy640:
[Lucky you did it then because the current operator CPC exam is harder again :laughing: in my opinion. I am sure there are some on here who will have done both. In the 80’s it was 2 multiple choice papers, now there’s a multiple choice and a written exam.

Plus the instructor probably knew nothing about the subject, simply read from their notes. In the case of queries the response was “I’ll get back to you next week”.
[/quote]
Don’t be a chump all your life! We are talking about the operators cpc not the dcpc designed for morons. I can assure you instructors needed to know what they were talking about because it was all properly regulated with a proper exam at the end which you could FAIL.

When I took my operator’s CPC back in the 80s, I am sure that there was a written test. I had to learn all kinds of useless stuff about TIR and ‘carriage of goods by rail’, as well as all the C&U rules.

Apart from the fact that it sorted the wheat from the chaff so to speak, I could never understand why we needed to know all this stuff by heart. In my normal day-to-day work; if I needed to know some regulation, I looked it up in ‘Croners’ which was kept up-to-date by a monthly supplement - what I learned in the course was quite probably out of date anyway; things were changing fast back then. Today it would be easily looked up online - I see they are still in business.

All a manager really needs to know is that there IS a regulation. It’s a bit like driver’s hours, where most of us never needed to know about double-manning or carriage of racehorses. The important thing is to know that there ARE rules, and where to find them.

jakethesnake:

waddy640:

Don’t be a chump all your life! We are talking about the operators cpc not the dcpc designed for morons. I can assure you instructors needed to know what they were talking about because it was all properly regulated with a proper exam at the end which you could FAIL.
[/quote]
When I took my Operators CPC in 1992 I can assure that the instructor/tutor was not able to answer the questions he was asked and had to get the information from elsewhere. Despite this I passed the exam.

Santa:
When I took my operator’s CPC back in the 80s, I am sure that there was a written test. I had to learn all kinds of useless stuff about TIR and ‘carriage of goods by rail’, as well as all the C&U rules.

Apart from the fact that it sorted the wheat from the chaff so to speak, I could never understand why we needed to know all this stuff by heart. In my normal day-to-day work; if I needed to know some regulation, I looked it up in ‘Croners’ which was kept up-to-date by a monthly supplement - what I learned in the course was quite probably out of date anyway; things were changing fast back then. Today it would be easily looked up online - I see they are still in business.

All a manager really needs to know is that there IS a regulation. It’s a bit like driver’s hours, where most of us never needed to know about double-manning or carriage of racehorses. The important thing is to know that there ARE rules, and where to find them.

Totally agree with you 100%

When I took my Operators CPC in 1992 I can assure that the instructor/tutor was not able to answer the questions he was asked and had to get the information from elsewhere. Despite this I passed the exam.

Clever lad eh! How could anyone possibly remember absolutely everything with all the rules and regs?

jakethesnake:

Clever lad eh! How could anyone possibly remember absolutely everything with all the rules and regs?

It must be very difficult for someone as perfect as you to know how to respond to normal people, still keep on trying you might get it right one day.

waddy640:

jakethesnake:

It must be very difficult for someone as perfect as you to know how to respond to normal people, still keep on trying you might get it right one day.

I am responding with a logical answer but it obviously escapes you that these instructors are human beings and not human encyclopedias and what exactly have I got wrong by the way.

My last job before I found my beloved concrete mixer job was driving skip wagons for Metcalfes at Nightingale Hall Lane Farm, Lancaster.
Sounds lovely, doesn’t it?

Had to take skips around various animal processing places/abbatoirs and swap skips. Bring em back and tip into either huge cookers on site or, if it was wet guts, into an artic trailer, usually one of Mal Woodhouses.
It was then processed into fertiliser.

It was the smelliest, stinkiest, dirtiest effin job I have ever had.

I got to see the inside workings of abbatoirs. It doesn’t give me nightmares but I can still see, quite clearly, the cows coming into the crush, being killed with the captive bolt gun, rolling out of the crush, chain around one leg, hauled into the air, knife into the throat to drain the blood, nose sliced off, then pushed along he rolling track that the carcass was suspended from to the next stage.
Pigs…get the electric tongs around the neck, stun em, slice the throat, throw em on the de bristle roller machine.
Couldn’t ever watch the lambs.

We all know it happens, and yes, you DO get hardened to it, but my god you shouldn’t have to see it.

I get upset enough just seeing chickens go past in a wagon… not a chance I could do slaughterhouse work!