To the slaughterhouse

slowlane:
I get upset enough just seeing chickens go past in a wagon

I do if it’s mine they’re in!

used to load fresh killed lambs for germany, out of Bamber Bridge preston, often had to wait for the lambs to be delivered, killed, then chilled…before loading, saw some unpleasant sights whilst waiting i can tell ya

if it was the last job going I would never do it,unfortunately animals are part of the food chain,i accept that but I certainly would never take them to their deaths,not a great meat eater anyway,don’t eat lamb,beef,very rare I eat pork[not pork as in chops and suchlike but sausages and bacon] and I am trying to wean myself off that as well,i suppose I am 80% vegetarian and trying to become 100% but it is very hard but i’m getting there.

All these big hard truck drivers, worrying about how the the little cuddly cute lamykins get killed, I’ve seen em going in, then coming out,with a new shrink wrap coat on,sitting on a pallet, and then had to go round the back,were the undead staff work,to load what’s left, The only part of piggy wiggy they don’t use is the squeak.

biggriffin:
All these big hard truck drivers, worrying about how the the little cuddly cute lamykins get killed, I’ve seen em going in, then coming out,with a new shrink wrap coat on,sitting on a pallet, and then had to go round the back,were the undead staff work,to load what’s left, The only part of piggy wiggy they don’t use is the squeak.

Don’t forget the ■■■■!
Tyneside.

waddy640:
I used to live near a slaughter house that dealt with pigs and the way they were driven there was appalling. When I applied for a driving job there I was told "We prefer not to employ English people.

Norfolk by any chance?

Trickydick:

waddy640:
I used to live near a slaughter house that dealt with pigs and the way they were driven there was appalling. When I applied for a driving job there I was told "We prefer not to employ English people.

Norfolk by any chance?

Spot on.

waddy640:

Trickydick:

waddy640:

Norfolk by any chance?

Spot on.

most likely our foreign cousins don’t have any feelings for animals,we have all seen over the years how they treat their animals when it comes to the meat trade

truckman020:

waddy640:

Trickydick:

waddy640:

Norfolk by any chance?

Spot on.

most likely our foreign cousins don’t have any feelings for animals,we have all seen over the years how they treat their animals when it comes to the meat trade

That and they don’t listen to Looney tree hugging, nutters, who say animals have rights, and we should all eat grass and nut roasts,…

truckman020:

waddy640:

Trickydick:

waddy640:

Norfolk by any chance?

Spot on.

Can say in the years I’ve been in and out of abattoirs I’ve never met a float driver who wasn’t British or Irish.

Harry Monk:

jakethesnake:
Still nothing found about different intellects? Gosh I am surprised. :laughing:

I’m told that different animals do behave differently when going to abattoir (I’ve never done livestock work myself). Pigs for example are fully aware of why they are there and exhibit great fear whereas lambs go, well, like lambs to the slaughter.

I have been bringing pigs to a factory for the past 15 months and once out of the trailer they for the most part wander along the passageway to the pens exploring the surroundings as they naturally do. It is a 3 deck trailer and the lowest deck is the one that is the most difficult to get the pigs to leave as I’d be crouched but the other decks are reasonably easy to get them to leave.
It’s a reasonably easy job for the most part, farm to factory is about an hours drive, if there’s no other truck at the unloading ramp 45 mins or so would have the pigs off and then an hour to wash out.

Was talking to a slaughterman the other day and he reckons the cows know something is wrong/going on and are apprehensive, whereas sheep havent a clue.

cows, hogs sheep aye its food ,I was shoved in to work in the farm companies slaughterhouse when work was slack on the farm aged 16 up on the floor on the sheep side either on the cradle (when "dead sheep ")come up the chain to be skinned.I did it for a couple o days then down to the lairage and imo they knew something was wrong!!! when a big day was on for export ,I managed two weeks then I refused and went back to farm work… NOW what I cant stomach is the horse trade ,when still in Scotland the fields next to us were leased by an irish company to store horses and being a big saft lad I used tae feed the ones that came to the gate when I had my daughter out in the pram and it used to break my heart when I would come home and the field was empty.

Trickydick:
Was talking to a slaughterman the other day and he reckons the cows know something is wrong/going on and are apprehensive, whereas sheep havent a clue.

Fairly sure they can all sense what is going to happen. Possibly some more than others.

We fatten atlot of lambs and run our own 4 decker so we’re in and out of slaughter houses and auctions all the time,
I’d say there’s less stress when you drop them at a slaughter house than an auction.
There’s less noise and people to move them etc.
I’ve dropped lambs off at all times of the day and night and they never seem bothered.
Same with cattle if there wild loading they’ve normally quieted down by the time you unload them.
It’s something that you get used to from a young age I think if your from farming stock you understand the food chain and get used to life and death easier having to put down a sheep mauled by dogs or a lamb that’s been have eaten by something but still alive , nature is just as cruel!

The worst thing I’ve seen would be 5000 lambs killed on my yard during the foot and mouth then burnt as a precaution when we didn’t have it, that’s a waste of good food and sickening for anyone to witness!

truckman020:
if it was the last job going I would never do it,unfortunately animals are part of the food chain,i accept that but I certainly would never take them to their deaths,not a great meat eater anyway,don’t eat lamb,beef,very rare I eat pork[not pork as in chops and suchlike but sausages and bacon] and I am trying to wean myself off that as well,i suppose I am 80% vegetarian and trying to become 100% but it is very hard but i’m getting there.

With you there bud,gave up chicken years ago,not for any other reason than that,they of all animals get the rawest of deal in life.Pretty appalling,the production line evil of it I reckon.Ditto Indian Halal foods are shunned,strictly veg or King Prawn,hard to imagine yer humble prawn getting its throat sliced in the name of some perverted ideology.
I could be obviously called a hypocrite in that I occasionally eat pork and beef,but I don’t really care if it means around a few thousand chickens wont be electrocuted,boiled and tormented during the remains of my natural tenure on the planet.
At least cows and sheep get to enjoy the outdoor life,and in the process,preserving our countryside from the ■■■■ and plunder of Barratts and Persimmon etc,chickens it seems don’t even get the chance of a glimpse of a life.It’s a terrible situation and I wouldn’t mind any of the fast food purveyors of this land put out of business.

If we weren’t meant to eat them they wouldn’t make 'em out of meat!

Many years ago I delivered a load of hanging meat to an abattoir in Algeria.While being unloaded i wandered around the site where there were a lot of cattle standing about in an open sided,covered building with a lip around the base about a foot high.They were dispatched one at a time by a guy with a very sharp knife who slashed their throats whereupon they dropped on the spot.Never seen so much blood in my life.Fortunately I’m not squeamish.
Returned to the port to find the weekly ferry had just left.A week later I had parked on the vehicle deck when,along with the crew,I was arrested because contraband had been found in the engine room.Released a few hours later.Next ferry was passengers only.Waited a week for the next one and eventually made it back to Marseilles.Then sent empty to reload in Seville!
Billed the freight forwarder for demurrage.His bill to me for fridge trailer hire matched it.Didn’t work for him again,surprisingly.
I suppose it’s all good experience.

Disgusting barbaric Muslims at it again, thankfully banned in Denmark and I believe Poland, no way should the civilized world accommodate halal slaughter, it belongs in the dark ages has does that particular religion and all that goes with it. Racist? Go on then…

short walk:
Disgusting barbaric Muslims at it again, thankfully banned in Denmark and I believe Poland, no way should the civilized world accommodate halal slaughter, it belongs in the dark ages has does that particular religion and all that goes with it. Racist? Go on then…

All religion is nuts, but for some reason a large part of the human race needs something to believe in.