Tipping on break

ady1:

ROG:

ady1:
job and finish -yes
hourly -n0
to me its as simple as that

You seem to be saying that non-hourly paid temps drivers to do illegal things :question:

too right rog, you work the job too how your paid, hourly , nice and steady, job and finish, as quick as you can , why would you want to be out there for 6 hr 45 mins, when you could be back in 6 hrs, the only reason is youve a sad home life

Im on set wage. When i do my drop I have to wait for the first artic to be tipped so I get a 15 mins in there. Then I have to reverse it in the yard. And boom straight on break while they tip. The other driver sits there with me and asks why I out it in break the job isn’t hard bla bla. I just want to be home and get paid and be out for a minimal amount of time i can. I have like 7 hours at work paid for 9. I can sleep for 6 hours and have 11 hours to myself its a good work life balance in my eyes lmao.

Another driver takes it to the extreme tho when he covers. He takes his card out when he arrives and then moves his truck about and after 45 mins puts his card in and ■■■■■ off.

He even sent a group chat message the other week saying to the lads he couldn’t be arsed to take a break so he was pulling his card 30 miles away from base. Tut tut tut. I feel like I should say something but its not my licence.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Wheel Nut:

limeyphil:
not a problem. as far as i’m concerned.
drop the trailer, park the unit up, jump in the shunter, load your trailer, drop the trailer, take 7 hours off, card in your own unit shows 9, early friday finish.
i do the job to suit me, not some pen pushing TC, who knows [zb] all.

ps. i’m now at home getting paid because todays work is done.

I used this thread to continue this discussion, it always makes me smile when you can see the renegade point of view!

11 years down the line and my phone rang,mate, hiya mate, do some digging for me please. I don’t want driver rumour or Aldi Do Lidl Say!

Do I have to take my break on a bay? Im not doing anything, no paperwork, mirrors are clean, everything is 100% correct. I don’t want my break here. I want to take it at Madam Trixies when I have finished here.

The heirarchy want me to unload and come straight back to the yard. I am not blagging a night out. I will be home with 35 minutes to spare on a 9 hour drive.

So what does the law state? WTD does not come into this, neither do any extended drives.

A break
A break is any period during which a driver may not carry out any driving or any other work and which is used exclusively for recuperation. A break may be taken in a moving vehicle, provided no other work is undertaken.

Alternatively, a full 45 minute break can be replaced by one break of at least 15 minutes followed by another break of at least 30 minutes. These breaks must be distributed over the 4.5 hour period. Breaks of less than 15 minutes will not contribute towards a qualifying break, but neither will they be counted as duty or driving time.

Madam Trixie or My Boss?

My question back is, do they deduct a break from your hours?

For me if I get 45 mins knocked off/day for a break, I take that break when I need it at a place of my discretion not their choosing. If they pay me from card in to card out with no deductions, then I would take the break as requested above.

Henrys cat:

For me if I get 45 mins knocked off/day for a break, I take that break when I need it at a place of my discretion not their choosing. If they pay me from card in to card out with no deductions, then I would take the break as requested above.

Although you do make a fair point, won`t you end up doing a 45min longer shift, for the same money?

Franglais:

Henrys cat:

Although you do make a fair point, won`t you end up doing a 45min longer shift, for the same money?

No because they are taking 45 mins off you for break. Booking it on the bay means I get back earlier so less shift time and still have 45 taken from that. And if they deduct then its on other work or POA when on the bay and the break is taken when I get out.

A lot depends on where you work and what they do though, and what you want. As sometimes its in you’re interests to booking when they say, as that means another load so more hours thus more pay. There’s no right or wrong really its just your personal choice and what suits you with how your firm are.

Henrys cat:

Franglais:

Henrys cat:

No because they are taking 45 mins off you for break. Booking it on the bay means I get back earlier so less shift time and still have 45 taken from that. And if they deduct then its on other work or POA when on the bay and the break is taken when I get out.

A lot depends on where you work and what they do though, and what you want. As sometimes its in you’re interests to booking when they say, as that means another load so more hours thus more pay. There’s no right or wrong really its just your personal choice and what suits you with how your firm are.

Good answer. I see your point.

Henrys cat:

Franglais:

Henrys cat:

I did job and finish and always took my break between turn arounds in the middle of the shift wherever I happened to be.
There’s no problem with taking a break ‘on a bay’ just so long as you’re not doing any ‘work’ Whether helping to load/unload or winding up the legs or doing a trailer pre trip etc etc.
Sitting in the cab eating/drinking/reading/watching tele or listening to the radio is fine.Although we also had depot canteens.We were actually stopped an hour’s pay for break but take 45 minutes and finish the shift 15 minutes sooner is the definition of job and finish.Nothing lost the load gets back in the morning 15 minutes sooner so everyone is happy.

There was a new lad at our place who was telling everyone that he had his probationary period extended because he doesn’t take breaks on bays. Never heard anything like that from my planners and manager, the whole place seems quote common-sensical. He claimed they’d been checking his tacho, after an incident where he was on a bay for 5 hours, and then claimed he couldn’t get back to the yard as he’d need a 45 minute break when he left. He ran out of time, had an unscheduled night out as a day man, and caused all sorts of mayhem.

Still, surely if he asked for this reason to be put in writing, it would be an employment tribunal / DVSA’s ■■■■■■■■■?

If it suits me, I’ll do t. If it doesn’t, I won’t. At certain places I definitely would due to having access to toilets, canteen, the tip will obviously be longer than the break I need, and more importantly if it’s quiet enough that I can ask them if I’m alright to stay on the bay for a few more minutes to get a 15/30/45 out of it.

However, if locked in a holding cell, or at a place too busy that it’s just ridiculous trying to drag out a break on it it, then no. If you have to clock watch, there’s generally something a bit wrong.

Rottweiler22:
There was a new lad at our place who was telling everyone that he had his probationary period extended because he doesn’t take breaks on bays. Never heard anything like that from my planners and manager, the whole place seems quote common-sensical. He claimed they’d been checking his tacho, after an incident where he was on a bay for 5 hours, and then claimed he couldn’t get back to the yard as he’d need a 45 minute break when he left. He ran out of time, had an unscheduled night out as a day man, and caused all sorts of mayhem.

Still, surely if he asked for this reason to be put in writing, it would be an employment tribunal / DVSA’s ■■■■■■■■■?

If it suits me, I’ll do t. If it doesn’t, I won’t. At certain places I definitely would due to having access to toilets, canteen, the tip will obviously be longer than the break I need, and more importantly if it’s quiet enough that I can ask them if I’m alright to stay on the bay for a few more minutes to get a 15/30/45 out of it.

However, if locked in a holding cell, or at a place too busy that it’s just ridiculous trying to drag out a break on it it, then no. If you have to clock watch, there’s generally something a bit wrong.

Should every driver have a 15min WTD break before he went into a delivery? As technically once it got to 5hr50 he would have to pull off site, even if half the load is part way through tipping/loading.

I think (or would hope) DVSA would take a common sense view with this kind of thing, and this could be the reason why you don’t really hear of them fining drivers on the way out of RDC’s for having it on break (except Aldi/Lidl) as they simply don’t want to open that can of worms. If it was to go to court with DVSA vs a driver then we would have our concrete answer…and the fiasco described in my first paragraph would begin…

I’m sure this subject has been touched on before but i need to ask the qestion,is it illegal to tip on break or just an urban myth,something that means u dont get proper breaks?The reason i ask is that most of the drivers at are place do this to get there breaks in & get back to the yard asap,were paid a salary & no OT so its in our interests to get home as soon as possible what are your thoughts guys & girls■■?

If you are taking a break, you are not even supposed to clean your mirrors.

If you are on a bay and taking a break, i.e. sitting in the cab, having a ciggie, quaffing a brew etc, then you are having a break.

Working is working and if you work and book a break, then you are breaking the law.
:smiley:

scott42:

If you are on a bay and taking a break, i.e. sitting in the cab, having a ciggie, quaffing a brew etc, then you are having a break.

Working is working and if you work and book a break, then you are breaking the law.

Not smoking in your workplace are you? :wink:

No it’s not legal if your doing any work but useful as it gives you more time to choose where to park up for your real break. If your sitting in the cab with your feet up reading a book while the forki drives round in circles and you know it’s going to take him long enough, it is.

Whatever you do dont ask Orys, he may have you digging holes in the yard, doing other multi drops whilst gettign tipped etc etc touchy subject this… Have a gander at a topic I posted maybe yesterday or 2 days ago with a reply from him.

Did shifts in Morrisons and they insist you take your breaks on a bay while getting tipped but to be honest if I was paid a set amount of hours and no more I would be doing the same, whats the chances of getting caught in the back of the motor on somebodies premises.

I have been driving ten years all in using tachos, 7.5 on removals and last six years HGV and I have never had my chart or card even glanced at by anyone in authority out on the road so I am betting I am safe in a yard somewhere, wouldn`t be telling other drivers I do it though in case of a little fall out. :wink:

DT@Leightonhaul:
‘…is it illegal to tip on break or just an urban myth…’

As far as I’m concerned it would be illegal for me to stop a ■■■■■ knicking the wagon if I’m in it on a break.

Since my hourly rate got chopped it’s amazed me how I’ve adapted my British stiff-upper-two-fingers whilst flexibly adjusting to Brown’s recession (- which is notably without any correlating recession in his arrogant ineptitude).

JoeG:

scott42:

Not smoking in your workplace are you? :wink:

I didn’t actually mean “Sitting in your cab, having a smoke” as that is a very serious crime, but sitting in your cab OR having a smoke :astonished:

scott42:
I didn’t actually mean “Sitting in your cab, having a smoke” as that is a very serious crime, :astonished:

Although, ironically, it’s not punishable by a jail sentence… jail being one of the few places where you can smoke! :unamused:

However, I would never rule out the possibility whilst this lot of control freaks are in power!

aranger:
Did shifts in Morrisons and they insist you take your breaks on a bay while getting tipped but to be honest if I was paid a set amount of hours and no more I would be doing the same, whats the chances of getting caught in the back of the motor on somebodies premises.

A few years ago old VOSA aka the ministery men where waiting outside ALDI and pulling drivers up to check tachos… no break taken on you go drive

break taken park up for 45 mins driver

(MMTM this :smiley: :laughing: )

andy187:

aranger:

A few years ago old VOSA aka the ministery men where waiting outside ALDI and pulling drivers up to check tachos… no break taken on you go drive

break taken park up for 45 mins driver

(MMTM this :smiley: :laughing: )

They were in LIDL Livingstone a while back doing that. arse bandits

job and finish -yes
hourly -n0
to me its as simple as that