Tipping on break

ady1:
job and finish -yes
hourly -n0
to me its as simple as that

You seem to be saying that non-hourly paid temps drivers to do illegal things :question:

Steve-o:

andy187:

aranger:
Did shifts in Morrisons and they insist you take your breaks on a bay while getting tipped but to be honest if I was paid a set amount of hours and no more I would be doing the same, whats the chances of getting caught in the back of the motor on somebodies premises.

A few years ago old VOSA aka the ministery men where waiting outside ALDI and pulling drivers up to check tachos… no break taken on you go drive

break taken park up for 45 mins driver

(MMTM this :smiley: :laughing: )

They were in LIDL Livingstone a while back doing that. arse bandits

To be honest, that is what needs to be done at Aldi Neston. VOSA parking a long line of trucks outside the Nimby population on Acacia Avenue.

aranger:
‘…Did shifts in Morrisons and they insist you take your breaks on a bay while getting tipped…’

My Morrisons experience was that the staff tip at stores using their palletisers - so the ‘drives’ has nowt to do anyhow other than ensure the opening & closing door codes are recorded/agreed before strapping down & trundling off. Meanwhile, simply gawp at their lovelies arranging & scratching themselves whilst drinking their subsidised tea in their canteen. It especially worked for me because I legitimately scammed some cleaning supplies off their store cleaner during a ‘hello’ chat on my way out…!

THATS ME STUFFED THEN. tipping on break well erm erm erm doing my curtians straps etc etc then cleaning the cab out after all the casual dirty lazy buggers that have been in my truck well looks like Iam breaking the law but in our drivers manual folder thingy it states the you must take a break while waiting for your trailer at ****** RDC’s and Must not stop with a loaded trailer on from ****** until you reach the Docks. All quotes from our drivers Manual folder thingy.

also the best quote of all “FOR TEDDY BEARS GO TO MOTHERCARE”

I once spoke to a tanker driver delivering foodstuffs and he said that he was doing 80hrs plus per week I then asked hows this possible he replied well when tipping iam on POA or break never other work. This was the time when i was paid by the hour so it didnt bother me being on other work once i had finished and pulled off site I had to take a break and recieve a nice starbucks, costa or Coffee Nation paid for by my employer.

I am right in sayin tho if your on a bay and out of your cab with your keys handed in you have a right to be on break as your not in the vehicle and no means of moving it

ROG:

ady1:
job and finish -yes
hourly -n0

You seem to be saying that non-hourly paid temps drivers to do illegal things :question:

too right rog, you work the job too how your paid, hourly , nice and steady, job and finish, as quick as you can , why would you want to be out there for 6 hr 45 mins, when you could be back in 6 hrs, the only reason is youve a sad home life

ady1:

ROG:

ady1:
job and finish -yes
hourly -n0

too right rog, you work the job too how your paid, hourly , nice and steady, job and finish, as quick as you can , why would you want to be out there for 6 hr 45 mins, when you could be back in 6 hrs, the only reason is youve a sad home life

A while ago I advocated for drivers to be paid hourly only as this sort of thing was too tempting for drivers to do and got shot down for it !!

i,m job and knock so yes will do other things whilst tacho on break!
the company are aware of this and have tried to stop it, but the way they have done this is crap! used to be job and knock and you could get finished as a rule in 5-6 hrs but some took the ■■■■ and spoilt it for everyone else by cutting corners and working through break to get back even earlier, some were back within 5 hrs! so now you get given 8 hrs work and most days its impossible to complete the work within this time let alone take your break.
the main prob is that prior to this being introduced a new delivery system was introduced but the times given by others are false but these times are what the new operation are based on so we all loose! for instance orinally 1 drop was scheduled to take 1 hr, but guys said it took 15 mins and they had 45 break, which is bull the drop took an hour cos they worked the break! as we don,t get set regular runs you cannot do this on a daily basis ect, as this drop may be the first or last drop of your day if its your first you are automatically behind within 20 minutes.

guess who,s looking for another job?

not a problem. as far as i’m concerned.
drop the trailer, park the unit up, jump in the shunter, load your trailer, drop the trailer, take 7 hours off, card in your own unit shows 9, early friday finish.
i do the job to suit me, not some pen pushing TC, who knows [zb] all.

ps. i’m now at home getting paid because todays work is done.

andy187:
A few years ago old VOSA aka the ministery men where waiting outside ALDI and pulling drivers up to check tachos… no break taken on you go drive

What I’d like to know is what’s the difference between taking your 45mins during a 3hr wait in an RDC holding area, with the possibility of refreshment and toilet facilities and a forced wait parked up on the side of the road?

ROG:

ady1:

ROG:

ady1:
job and finish -yes
hourly -n0

A while ago I advocated for drivers to be paid hourly only as this sort of thing was too tempting for drivers to do and got shot down for it !!

of course youll get shot down rog , the drivers who ate on a nice 11 hrs pay for 6 hrs work wont want it changing[ and who can blame them,i can vaguely remember those days,very nice].if i was still on it i wouldnt want it changing, youve just got to accept the way it is

ady1:
of course youll get shot down rog , the drivers who ate on a nice 11 hrs pay for 6 hrs work wont want it changing[ and who can blame them,i can vaguely remember those days,very nice].if i was still on it i wouldnt want it changing, youve just got to accept the way it is

Why accept something that goes against the safety rest rules that have been put in place :question:

I may sit on a loading bay for 6 hours or more, how can I justify taking a break as well ? Apart from that I want to finish my work at a reasonable hour… :question: :question: :exclamation:

If it suits…yes
If not…no
simples
As for VOSA parking u up after siting at a drop or collection for three hours or more :frowning: disagree & tell them so.

your opinion in most cases is just as valid as theirs…

Dont miss understand me i’m not looking for an agument but sometimes it is… just a matter of opinion

We’ll all be working 8hr shifts soon anyway, trunking on trailer drops to transport hubs and train terminals, or shunting trailers inside the same.

scott42:
If you are taking a break, you are not even supposed to clean your mirrors.

for seeing the Girl better,parked behind?

Smee:
I may sit on a loading bay for 6 hours or more, how can I justify taking a break as well ? Apart from that I want to finish my work at a reasonable hour… :question: :question: :exclamation:

If you are sitting on a bay for 6 hours, you can take a break. If you are sitting on a bay for 6 hours, supervising loading, you can’t.

You don’t get to choose which laws you obey and which you ignore. It does not matter a jot if you don’t agree, but if you get caught ignoring them, you will pay the price. If you were told that you HAD to work through your break, then you would be up in arms.

I have a driver who insists on not putting his card in until he is at the gate and takes it out immediately on his return. Absolutely no reason to, but he thinks he knows best. If i was to tell him he HAD to do this, the shop stupid would be banging on my desk quicker than you could say “Arthur Scargill”, and quite rightly, yet If VOSA come round, it is as obvious as the nose on your face what he does and he will be in the brown stuff. Eventually, you will run to the rules or not run and cold experiance tells me it is easier to toe the line.
:smiley:

george3:

andy187:

What I’d like to know is what’s the difference between taking your 45mins during a 3hr wait in an RDC holding area, with the possibility of refreshment and toilet facilities and a forced wait parked up on the side of the road?

as most people relise… ALDI you have to tip your self. thats what ministry where looking for. Tipping on break

Your right Andy, Aldi/Lidl are self tip and the Vosa hoes know this hence why they are there preying on the vulnerable.

ROG:

ady1:

Why accept something that goes against the safety rest rules that have been put in place :question:

Somtimes i think its just goes over the top, stuff like getting done for taking a break whilst getting fuel. Used to go into one place petrol station stop put it on rest, get out put the nossle in the tank, put the latch thing on, go in give the girl the card tank would start filling up whilst i’d get a coffee and stand chatting to other drivers or try to chat up the girl behind the counter for a good 10-15mins. Then go back out to the truck put the nossle back in the pump, put the diesel cap back on get in the cab drive off. No doubt if VOSA caught you doing that would be in trouble ! Even though i was putting on a good 20mins on the card as a break and was taking me and involved about a minute of other work and with not being able to take three 15min breaks i was still having to take another 30mins later on so not stealing anytime.

With class 2 work years ago, a lot of the multidrop thing, i don’t think we ever didnt tip on a break. Again they would play the safety card if caught, but in reality our shifts were typically over in 6 hours. We were running around delivering furniture, white goods, heavy work. Somtimes would get near 4hrs 30mins driving and if you took 45min break, your mussles started to sieze up, you had something to eat, you felt tired and sleepy setting around. When you tipped off the card and got the job done, got home earlier and felt much more wide awake.

Kenny1975:

ROG:

ady1:

Somtimes i think its just goes over the top, stuff like getting done for taking a break whilst getting fuel. Used to go into one place petrol station stop put it on rest, get out put the nossle in the tank, put the latch thing on, go in give the girl the card tank would start filling up whilst i’d get a coffee and stand chatting to other drivers or try to chat up the girl behind the counter for a good 10-15mins. Then go back out to the truck put the nossle back in the pump, put the diesel cap back on get in the cab drive off. No doubt if VOSA caught you doing that would be in trouble ! Even though i was putting on a good 20mins on the card as a break and was taking me and involved about a minute of other work and with not being able to take three 15min breaks i was still having to take another 30mins later on so not stealing anytime.

With class 2 work years ago, a lot of the multidrop thing, i don’t think we ever didnt tip on a break. Again they would play the safety card if caught, but in reality our shifts were typically over in 6 hours. We were running around delivering furniture, white goods, heavy work. Somtimes would get near 4hrs 30mins driving and if you took 45min break, your mussles started to sieze up, you had something to eat, you felt tired and sleepy setting around. When you tipped off the card and got the job done, got home earlier and felt much more wide awake.

It’s all bollox. If the government, police, local authorities or whatever are so **“genuinely”**concerned about drivers taking their statuary breaks, why don’t they provide facilities for drivers to take those statutory breaks?

■■■■■■■ in a lay-by? Count yourself lucky you found a lay-by with enough room to ■■■■ in.