Thoughts on these terms/rates?

dozy:

robroy:
^^^^^^
The lad needs/wants the experience, Stobarts take on non experienced drivers, and they run their men 100% legal, so work away for a few months while looking for a good job…it’s a means to an end. :bulb:

100% legal , well rob I wonder then why I
Ended up in magistrates court & the judge
Said they ( esl ) have a duty of care to
There employees & in this instance they
Failed miserably, I think the word is
When it suits them !!

Don’t be wondering doze, it’s simple.
You ended up in court I’m assuming, because you did without question exactly as some incompetent ■■■■ in an office told you to do, instead of either telling him to go and ■■■■ himself, or alternatively carry on with his instructions as far as you could until your time was up (or 10 mins before) and then park up, thus showing how incompetent at his job he was, and how professional you were at yours. :bulb:
There would not have been a ■■■■ thing they could have done if you had, and you would have been a few quid better off. :bulb:

Aka ‘Playing them at their own game’ :bulb:

dozy:

robroy:
^^^^^^
The lad needs/wants the experience, Stobarts take on non experienced drivers, and they run their men 100% legal, so work away for a few months while looking for a good job…it’s a means to an end. :bulb:

100% legal , well rob I wonder then why I
Ended up in magistrates court & the judge
Said they ( esl ) have a duty of care to
There employees & in this instance they
Failed miserably, I think the word is
When it suits them !!

To misquote these guys,

The law is your master

Would not touch it.
Unless desperate.

When you can’t even work out what your on without a chart and calculator your know it’s designed to screw you.

Try delivery firms.
I worked for tuffnells £430 a week and home by 6 most days. DX freight, tnt and FedEx are also alternatives.
Ye work can be crap but can also be great. Also you don’t do night puts.

chrisdalott:
If I work a 10 hour day I get paid £105

Those of us who can add up will realise that is more than £9 ph

No, you get paid £90 plus £15 meal allowance which, according to HMRC rules, you’re supposed to have receipts for in order to prove that the subsistence allowance was legitimately claimed.

If HMRC ever decide to go on a witch hunt at Stobarts and decide the £15 “meal allowance” is the employers NI fiddle it actually is then you can expect a tax bill for 20% of every “£15 a day meal allowance” you’ve been paid.

Conor:

chrisdalott:
If I work a 10 hour day I get paid £105

Those of us who can add up will realise that is more than £9 ph

No, you get paid £90 plus £15 meal allowance which, according to HMRC rules, you’re supposed to have receipts for in order to prove that the subsistence allowance was legitimately claimed.

If HMRC ever decide to go on a witch hunt at Stobarts and decide the £15 “meal allowance” is the employers NI fiddle it actually is then you can expect a tax bill for 20% of every “£15 a day meal allowance” you’ve been paid.

So from what your saying fella, if it ain’t spent, and proved so ■■■■ may hit fan…

Also I noticed I’d have to take my NI off the base line…

Sadly math ain’t my forte, I just wanna know what I’ll take home after tax/NI [emoji38][emoji38]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

adam277:
Would not touch it.
Unless desperate.

When you can’t even work out what your on without a chart and calculator your know it’s designed to screw you.

Try delivery firms.
I worked for tuffnells £430 a week and home by 6 most days. DX freight, tnt and FedEx are also alternatives.
Ye work can be crap but can also be great. Also you don’t do night puts.

Appreciate the input chap, as said I’m new is all and after passing with them they atleast offer a job on CE which is all I’m thinking…

sadly no ones gonna let me loose at 35k basic with a bling mobile… Although I am trying for it [emoji38][emoji38]

Benjie83:
sadly no ones gonna let me loose at 35k basic with a bling mobile… Although I am trying for it

About 30…

Years ago, I did just that. I left my steady, well paid company job driving an ERF to get behind the wheel of a shiny almost new Volvo F12.

Biggest mistake I ever made. Longer hours, less money and more stress.

yourhavingalarf:

Benjie83:
sadly no ones gonna let me loose at 35k basic with a bling mobile… Although I am trying for it

About 30…

Years ago, I did just that. I left my steady, well paid company job driving an ERF to get behind the wheel of a shiny almost new Volvo F12.

Although,
You may have ended up a miserable “what if” or “I wish I’d tried” person, instead of the (seemingly) well adjusted individual you are?
We tend to regret the chances we don’t take, rather than those we do take, whatever the outcome.

yourhavingalarf:

Benjie83:

About 30…

Cheers fella, yip it’s kinda why I’m thinking just take stobarts, get some miles under me then see how the land lays, rather than chasing glittery shiny things, got to earn some stripes first.

I’d do agency happily but I’ve nippers is all, need a regular wage, and aiming for the likes of Maritimes at the moment seems a certain fail as I’ve literally zero hours under me apart from training so I can’t see me achieving the initial assessment pass as it does sound as if they are VERY picky which is understandable.

Think I’m going to have to ask for an extension on this till Monday, just to be sure on either way I choose to go… [emoji57]

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:

Benjie83:

About 30…

Although,
You may have ended up a miserable “what if” or “I wish I’d tried” person, instead of the (seemingly) well adjusted individual you are?
We tend to regret the chances we don’t take, rather than those we do take, whatever the outcome.

You definitely meant that reply for Mr Larf… [emoji38] [emoji38]

But I’ll snipe a reply to the regret part…

Cheers for adding some much needed turmoil to my thought process chap… [emoji106][emoji38][emoji38]

Benjie83:

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:

Benjie83:

About 30…

Although,

Cheers for adding some much needed turmoil to my thought process chap… [emoji106][emoji38][emoji38]

Any choice you make now is important, but it ain’t signing up for a world voyage in a sailing ship.
Consider it properly, but don’t make it even bigger than it is.

Franglais:

Benjie83:

Franglais:

yourhavingalarf:

Benjie83:

About 30…

Although,

Any choice you make now is important, but it ain’t signing up for a world voyage in a sailing ship.
Consider it properly, but don’t make it even bigger than it is.

[emoji38] [emoji38]

Cheers bud, I know what your saying [emoji6]

Nite Owl:
Mortgages, bills, car, food, dependants etc. If you’re semi retired or have a nice pot to get you through the lean times then agency is the way to go. I know plenty of agency drivers who love it for the freedom it gives them. When you have a family depending on you putting food on the table, you need the reliability of wage that an permanent job gives.

Been doing agency/self employed for almost all of the last 25 years including throughout the entire childhood of both of my kids. Never had a problem getting a mortgage or loan, not had a problem paying bills. What I did do though is realise it was seasonal to an extent so worked my arse off when the work was there, not spend every penny I earned as I earned it and build up a bank balance so when the quiet periods came I had enough money to cover it. If you’re savvy when it comes to your personal finances it isn’t particularly hard to do but if you’re the kind of person who buys stuff with other peoples money then you’re possibly going to find it a bit tough going at the start. I will say though that for anyone who is a decent driver then the quiet period post Xmas tends to be non-existent.

Nite Owl:

Winseer:
FFS £9ph and “loot the taxman” for the rest like Umbrella tries to do…

Honest PAYE headline rates - are always going to be better.
50 hours paid at that higher headline rate - means you know what you’re getting paid, week-in, week out - regardless of you being stood down to domestic duties during quiet season, during which time your pay then drops back to being without the meal allowances…

Who wants to do 50x£9ph take home less than 400 quid?

Surely you only get that “meal allowance” if you’re doing “nights out”…?

Why this reluctance of people to work for far higher hourly rates on agency?

A full time job at a low hourly rate - compounds the losses, especially if the “full time hours” is above the 35-40 that one would expect for a “standard working week” like a rail worker or postal worker - unionized - would expect to get as “standard”…

Mortgages, bills, car, food, dependants etc. If you’re semi retired or have a nice pot to get you through the lean times then agency is the way to go. I know plenty of agency drivers who love it for the freedom it gives them. When you have a family depending on you putting food on the table, you need the reliability of wage that an permanent job gives.

I’ve not paid off my mortgage, have a non-working family to feed, have to pay my own bills - but got sick to death of being made to work when I had to instead of when I wanted to for the same money (I’ve wanted a four day week for yonks - and now I’ve got it.) Lean period? November seems pretty dire so far… Two weeks of 2-3 shifts only. That’s when you take the accrued one ten hour shift holiday pay for every 80 hours worked. I’ve got four in hand, will be taking two of them for this week, and then one each for the next 2 weeks. I’m told things pick up as of November 24th… Some of my fellow agency have recently gone full-time, presumably because they feared this “lean period” of november coming up… And there they are, having to work 5 shifts instead of four for the same money, doing shunting duty, admin duty, dekit duty… I don’t envy them!! :stuck_out_tongue:

In my experience the people who drive the shiny blinged up trucks are often on less money than people who drive a piece of crap.

Employers like to use it as a incentive to work for them and many people for some reason would happily drive a fully spec’d truck with far more lights than they need and take a pay cut.

Personally I’d rather drive an old bucket of crap and be on more money.

If you want to chase money and your a new pass try supermarkets.
No nights and you can often hit 40k+ if you want to put the hours in.
If your near London its possible to get more.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda etc. Co-op and Nisa can often pay more due to the work being more hands-on. Food whoesellers are also decent but the work is tough companies like Bidvest come to mind.

Also supernarkets wont give a toss if you damage a truck. If you smash a fully spec’d scania s series your employer is likely to chase you round the yard with an axe.

Benjie83:
sadly no ones gonna let me loose at 35k basic with a bling mobile… Although I am trying for it [emoji38][emoji38]

+1 I would look at the parcel companies. An agency were willing to put me through a Class 1 assessment at UPS when I had zero Class 1 miles under me belt. It was very plain trunking and trailer swaps but it wasn’t a bad offer. The driving part of the assessment went well but the reversing needed some work, naturally but the manager running the site wouldn’t let me “train” in my down time moving a trailer around the yard and back etc. If you’re anywhere near Stanford-Le-Hope, I would try and find out what agency UPS use at that site and go from there.

If you want 35K Apply at Saints. They interviewed me when I had zero Class 1 miles. They offered me night work and the odd “night out” for 36K a year - I couldn’t stomach nights out. They also took 3 months to get back to me.
Trouble is they’re Heathrow so a bit of a drive saints.co.uk/jobs/lgv-1-driver-day-and-nights/

Experience is not necessary as training specific to our areas of expertise will always be provided

Benjie83:
So from what your saying fella, if it ain’t spent, and proved so [zb] may hit fan…

Sadly math ain’t my forte, I just wanna know what I’ll take home after tax/NI [emoji38][emoji38]

Put your top line in here and it will tell you.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

Benjie83:
So from what your saying fella, if it ain’t spent, and proved so [zb] may hit fan…

Put your top line in here and it will tell you.

listentotaxman.com

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Legend, thanks man big appreciation [emoji41][emoji41]

Hyh:

Benjie83:

+1 I would look at the parcel companies. An agency were willing to put me through a Class 1 assessment at UPS when I had zero Class 1 miles under me belt. It was very plain trunking and trailer swaps but it wasn’t a bad offer. The driving part of the assessment went well but the reversing needed some work, naturally but the manager running the site wouldn’t let me “train” in my down time moving a trailer around the yard and back etc. If you’re anywhere near Stanford-Le-Hope, I would try and find out what agency UPS use at that site and go from there.

If you want 35K Apply at Saints. They interviewed me when I had zero Class 1 miles. They offered me night work and the odd “night out” for 36K a year - I couldn’t stomach nights out. They also took 3 months to get back to me.
Trouble is they’re Heathrow so a bit of a drive saints.co.uk/jobs/lgv-1-driver-day-and-nights/

Experience is not necessary as training specific to our areas of expertise will always be provided

TOP man thank you very much for this, funnily enough iv found tesco are recruiting for C1… Cv in the post tomorrow [emoji106][emoji106]

adam277:
In my experience the people who drive the shiny blinged up trucks are often on less money than people who drive a piece of crap.

Employers like to use it as a incentive to work for them and many people for some reason would happily drive a fully spec’d truck with far more lights than they need and take a pay cut.

Personally I’d rather drive an old bucket of crap and be on more money.

If you want to chase money and your a new pass try supermarkets.
No nights and you can often hit 40k+ if you want to put the hours in.
If your near London its possible to get more.

Tesco, Sainsburys, Asda etc. Co-op and Nisa can often pay more due to the work being more hands-on. Food whoesellers are also decent but the work is tough companies like Bidvest come to mind.

Also supernarkets wont give a toss if you damage a truck. If you smash a fully spec’d scania s series your employer is likely to chase you round the yard with an axe.

Cheers again Adam, again hugely appreciate the knowledge drop chap [emoji41][emoji41]

Very helpful indeed [emoji108][emoji108]

And as always a big big thank you to everyone who’s chipped in, really really is massively appreciated TNUK [emoji41][emoji41][emoji41][emoji41]

I’ve an extension till Monday with stobbys to decide if I take the plunge with them, which is very kind of them to allow me to ask for, as I don’t do indecisiveness, and expect folk to accept it from me!!

Just needed a bit more time to work out moneys and the like due to having ankle biters is all…

So for now atleast, erm yeah I’ll be back, again [emoji849][emoji38]