Thinking of giving up the search

I’d forget the Class 1 for now, concentrate on just getting a driving job & that ‘on the road’ experience. Van, 7.5t, whatever. Better than just carrying on working in a warehouse as your offering employers no relevant work experience at all.

You’ll be thankful for it when someone does eventually let you loose in a bendy too.

rob22888:
I’d forget the Class 1 for now, concentrate on just getting a driving job & that ‘on the road’ experience. Van, 7.5t, whatever. Better than just carrying on working in a warehouse as your offering employers no relevant work experience at all.

You’ll be thankful for it when someone does eventually let you loose in a bendy too.

Except that he will have forgotten how to drive one by then. :slight_smile:

ProudNewbie:
everywhere I turn up gets told no experience no job all due to insurance

Can you not get a job doing residential refuse collection?
You don’t need any experience, you just pick it up as you go along…

Being 100 % Honest ,I think you need to be more confident in your own abilities ,Saying they take one look at you and blank you is f’ all to do with skin tone ,It will be your lack of confidence or self esteem letting you down.Go back to a trainer and spend a day on reversing etc .You need more confidence in my opinion .And wasting two years has lost you some nerve .
Good luck .

Do you have a big airport nearby? You will need 5 years of referencing available and a clean criminal record
The companies who do the food for airlines etc will usually take on new passes for Class 2 work - You wont get a lot of driving time but you’ll get a bit of practice reversing

In my experience, UPS will take on 7.5 ton drivers without experience either direct or via agency and could give you a chance on Class 1 if you don’t crash the 7.5 tonners…
Royal Mail via agency (Manpower/ Pertemps) will take on Class 1 drivers if you have held your licence 6 months and have Class 2 experience - Their driving assessments aren’t usually the simplest though !
Hermes will take on 7.5 ton drivers and sometimes Class 2 drivers with minimal experience via agency (Manpower, Extra Staff, etc)
DX were taking on 7.5 ton drivers around here without any mention of experience…

Have you tried plant hire companies like HSS who run 3.5 and 7.5 ton and sometimes Class 2 vehicles delivering plant to residential and building site addresses?
Refuse/Recycling collection companies don’t seem picky on experience either, usually via agency or sometimes direct

Expect to have a driving assessment and demonstrate you are able to reverse onto awkward bays

*Based on my experience down south

ProudNewbie:

Beetlejuice:
What area ?

Bradford

I’m from Bradford and I know that Expect/Advance are and will recruit new passes. When I first got my Class 1 got offered from both firms within a month. Since then I’ve been offered other jobs but at mo happy where I am

Also try Europort area. Commutable and there’s plenty to go at.

Malcolms recruiting as are Bibbys and ignore the 2yrs crap. Next time you apply put a covering letter in as well as CV explaining how your going to be a team player etc. Can work alone and have a brain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Snowman:

ProudNewbie:
everywhere I turn up gets told no experience no job all due to insurance

Can you not get a job doing residential refuse collection?
You don’t need any experience, you just pick it up as you go along…

Brilliant :laughing: :laughing:

Check Indeed out today,DHL are after drivers for M&S contract in Bradford.
It says new passes welcome as full training given…
Should imagine money will be better then most on M62 corridor too…

I ain’t a clue what your doing wrong as some West Yorkshire firms would take a corpse if it has a licence…
The whole West Yorkshire job market in this game is unreal I know I could literally walk out today and be working in the morning,
Even some smaller firms that in the past have been hard to get in to are occasionally wanting drivers,
Then you have your list of permanently advertising firms such as,
Long
Walkers
Shipley
Downton
McDowell
Howleys
Maritime
Expect
Etc etc

yorkshire terrier:
I ain’t a clue what your doing wrong as some West Yorkshire firms would take a corpse if it has a licence…
The whole West Yorkshire job market in this game is unreal I know I could literally walk out today and be working in the morning,
Even some smaller firms that in the past have been hard to get in to are occasionally wanting drivers,
Long
Walkers
Shipley
Downton
McDowell
Howleys
Maritime
Expect
Etc etc

I promise you mate I’ve tried all of the above mentioned companies except Howleys. Been trying mcdowells for over a year and only got an email back 2 days ago saying they’ve posted out an application form to me to fill out and send back. So let’s see what comes out of that one. Also just applied for DHL Bradford online this morning. Got this week off so will be setting off in a bit knocking on a few more doors, armed with my CV and work gear of course.

ProudNewbie:

yorkshire terrier:
Long
Walkers
Shipley
Downton
McDowell
Howleys
Maritime
Expect
Etc etc

I promise you mate I’ve tried all of the above mentioned companies except Howleys. Been trying mcdowells for over a year and only got an email back 2 days ago saying they’ve posted out an application form to me to fill out and send back. So let’s see what comes out of that one. Also just applied for DHL Bradford online this morning. Got this week off so will be setting off in a bit knocking on a few more doors, armed with my CV and work gear of course.

My feeling is that if you have tried, and failed at getting employment at any on that list, driving isn’t for you mate.

You’ve kinda dodged…

A bullet by not hearing back from McDowell. :smiley:

other northern miserable shyster firms are also available for slagging off

Have you tried Stobarts at Sherburn in Elmet ?. If you can’t get in there give up or contact Peoples Logistics(Mark Dixon) on site and try that way in for experience.

Sorry that should be logistics People.

ProudNewbie:

yorkshire terrier:
Long
Walkers
Shipley
Downton
McDowell
Howleys
Maritime
Expect
Etc etc

I think r c Cooper at otley are looking for a driver,Sunday to Thursday though,and I bet you still work Friday morning

Wouldie:
Have you tried Stobarts at Sherburn in Elmet ?. If you can’t get in there give up or contact Peoples Logistics(Mark Dixon) on site and try that way in for experience.

This is fine if…

You live near Sherburn. Otherwise it’s a complete PITA and makes a dent in your wages because of the fuel involved.

What did they say last time you went looking ?

Must be some clue why they’ve not given you a chance .

I’ve just been chased for 2 jobs today by agency for temp to perm.

One I’m interest in based at Euroway so jobs are available and that wasn’t even applying just they got my CV off CV library apparently

Something must be stopping you, and it’s not just experience, age? Attitude test?

Clearly an obstacle somewhere

He says he’s happy to commute if you read what he said. Bradford-Sherburn isn’t the end of the world to travel to. Pretty sure they’d let him do nights out if he wanted.

dcgpx:

One I’m interest in based at Euroway so jobs are available and that wasn’t even applying just they got my CV off CV library apparently

Something must be stopping you, and it’s not just experience, age? Attitude test?

Like I’ve said before, I have no idea where I’m going wrong? I phoned Couple of places I’d been to for assessments for feedback they told me it wasn’t my attitude, it’s purely down to lack of experience, their words not mine.

ProudNewbie:

dcgpx:

Like I’ve said before, I have no idea where I’m going wrong? I phoned Couple of places I’d been to for assessments for feedback they told me it wasn’t my attitude, it’s purely down to lack of experience, their words not mine.

What experience do you have?