Class 1 jobs on the agencies

Hi everyone,

I got 7 years experience of driving class 2 trucks. I am booked to do my class 1 next week but after calling 5 different agencies no one will give you any class 1 work without 2 years class 1 experience even though they are crying out for drivers!!! Whats the point? There is no way into a class 1 job without going through an agency first as no company is taking on permanent drivers. Don’t know what to do now, I am thinking about cancelling my class 1 training now. Will be a waste of money. Is this the same up and down the county? Class 2 work dried up now. The future looks bleak :frowning:

Where are you?

Milton Keynes

Sound about right that you need 2 years experience even on agency but dont cancel your training as in 2 years time you will have had your licence for that long so you can then start gaining experience or be a little economical with an employer

Just read the entry from Driv3r re C+E training and lack of opportunities. Its rather disconcerting especially in Novembers Truck&Driver on page 7 there is a short article headed ‘GOOD NEWS AS DEMAND SURGES FOR DRIVERS’. It then goes on to say that there has never been a better time to consider a job as a driver. I’ve just passed my Cat C on 8/10/10 and I’m still waiting to get my licence back from DVLA. My plan was to go straight to train and get Cat C + E (hopefully) and then look for jobs.
So what is the truth out there… Should I save my money and just hunt for Class C jobs■■? or carry on with my plan and get the C+E■■? Also I know that experience is everything but if Driv3r has been working for 7 years on C, surely his experience as a driver should count for something.

Tigger 1

save your money and get out before you start im 6 mths in and this industry is full of cowboys. the only place truckers actually talk is on here and everyone thinks they own the road. as for manners they seem to be a thing of the past. :angry:

Danj I was hoping for some encouragement. I have to say there are cowboys in all industries though and in the current climate of cuts I’ll be happy just to get some form of driver job.

Tigger 1

hope you get what you want mate but my rose tinted glasses have been knocked off numerous times in the last 6 mths driving is the easy part transport managers and their little helpers are the problem good luck and sorry to be the grim reaper how you have a better experience :slight_smile:

Danj no no I believe all you are saying, I’m just making the point that you can find good and bad people in all walks of life. I’ve found a few rotten b_stards before myself but you live to fight another day…

Tigger 1