<2 years experince

Heya Folks,
Just wondered out of the newer drivers on here, what companies have you found to be taking on drivers with less than 2 years under their belt? Seems to be very difficult to find any work other than agency taking us on.
And what is the reason for this? Is it mainly due to the higher insurance premiums like when you first pass your car test?

Thanks

Usually just the agencies mate. Or try some firms with bad reputations :wink:

I found it hard too when I first got my class 1. Id had years, and years of driving larger vehicles than class 1 lorries appear to be. Alas when I passed my class 1 this counted for diddley. I have found that although I dont yet have the ubiquitous 2years, companies take you on if you can do a good, proficient job for them. What they DO want is people who “CAN DO”, and not people who “say they can do”. I got a start through an Agency, who supplied drivers to CEVA, amongst others. They gave me my class one reg job, and from the depot I worked they had another relative novice, too. I then got into the world of Walking Floors, through Steve Walkers at Redditch. They took me on as I drove my trial well, and was prepared to graft. It was a great, worthwhile, experience, and I learned a lot of the required road craft. I now drive PINK, and was taken on as my reputation gained at walkers said to people what I could do - practically speaking.
There are companies recruiting, but the number of drivers on the market swamp each vacancy.
My advice would be route through the Agencies and then you gain relevant experience. If a company with a dubious reputation are recruiting, dont always believe what you hear - check out with drivers already on the books. As has been said numerous times in numerous posts about handfulls of companies, its the drivers view that counts, not blinged up trucks, or wacky liveries.

try these.
there attitude is a good old fashioned, “everyone has to start somewhere”.

reedboardall.co.uk/home.php

Took me as a casual with next to no experience and seem fine to me. Money is below par but they don’t take anything out for breaks. You need to like early starts and maxing your hours though from what the full time guys tell me.

Thanks people I am a bit far away from there though I am in Aldershot in Hampshire. Have singed up with 3 agencies over the last week and so far no joy. Just got to keep on tring and banging on doors!

hgvhgv:
Thanks people I am a bit far away from there though I am in Aldershot in Hampshire. Have singed up with 3 agencies over the last week and so far no joy. Just got to keep on tring and banging on doors!

Did you tell the agencies your prepared to drive anything or just HGV?

hgvhgv:
Heya Folks,
Just wondered out of the newer drivers on here, what companies have you found to be taking on drivers with less than 2 years under their belt? Seems to be very difficult to find any work other than agency taking us on.
And what is the reason for this? Is it mainly due to the higher insurance premiums like when you first pass your car test?

Thanks

Try these if your anywhere near. jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailj … =CHL/76551

I said anything from vans to class 2!

hgvhgv:

Thats ok then, best thing to do is to call them regularly to see if anything is available, and remind them that you are free. Take any shift, even if your not really keen on it. May take a while but it does work

When you need to get experience, you will do better with the agencies if you have a can do attitude, do van work, 7.5 tonne and whatever they give you. At some point one of them will need you to do some work at whatever class of licence you have. If you do that well they will start to use you when they need you, and after a while you will start getting regular work, this counts as experience.

All the time you are doing this it won’t hurt to Keep contacting every transport company you can get to for work, you never know you may get lucky, after all I did after three months of class 1.

(Ok looks like other people are saying the same so maybe good advice?)

why not try RT KEEDWELL at highbridge in somerset. When i passed my lgv1 they took me on without any lorry driving experience, but the 1st 3 days i went with another driver. Then after that went solo no problems, but it is nights out all week when i was with them. They do have decent motors and the money wasnt to bad. Ask for keith or stuart.
Good Luck :smiley:

Yep I have said to the agency I will do any shift and hours weekends whatever I don’t mind I just want the experince! Got a phone call a few moments ago from one of them offering me a shift tomorrow for a skip hire firm should be an interesting first drive! Things are looking up at last!

Pollocks took me on straight after passing my test.

hgvhgv:

Ok no probs but where did you say it?

hgvhgv:
Yep I have said to the agency I will do any shift and hours weekends whatever I don’t mind I just want the experince! Got a phone call a few moments ago from one of them offering me a shift tomorrow for a skip hire firm should be an interesting first drive! Things are looking up at last!

Well done, go for it, be keen and make sure you stay legal.

24caratplonker:
why not try RT KEEDWELL at highbridge in somerset. When i passed my lgv1 they took me on without any lorry driving experience, but the 1st 3 days i went with another driver. Then after that went solo no problems, but it is nights out all week when i was with them. They do have decent motors and the money wasnt to bad. Ask for keith or stuart.
Good Luck :smiley:

Keedwells are laying off ATM. I live 5 mins from there.

My first thought was to ask the a few skip firms, lots of good experience with them mate. Hope you’re getting on okay today! :slight_smile:

Sadly the skip hire jobs got cancelled so back to square one. On the up side I have finally got an interview for a perm position with a local removals company after knocking on many doors!

I think the best companies to ask are the smaller ones. Skip companys and aggregate stuff like that. I passed my class 2 a couple weeks ago. The larger companies i spoke to wanted to take me on but there insurance just would not allow it. The first small local firm i spoke to (skip company) gave me a test run and offered me a job.