<2 years experince

just read this thread, and was gunna suggest removal companies, i know 2 guys who started driving for removal companies, and havent looked back. they have since left after gaining the valuable experience. as long as you arent afraid of a bit of graft as well as driving, these postitions are not to bad a way to start in my opinion. good luck!!

hgvhgv:
Heya Folks,
Just wondered out of the newer drivers on here, what companies have you found to be taking on drivers with less than 2 years under their belt? Seems to be very difficult to find any work other than agency taking us on.
And what is the reason for this? Is it mainly due to the higher insurance premiums like when you first pass your car test?

Thanks

Tbh I think it’s a bit of an excuse, the 2 years experience for insurance reasons. I have a fleet policy and so long as I send the broker a copy of the licence it doesn’t matter how much experience or age you are. It’s only if you’ve been banned or got a drink driving points etc, then it just means a higher excess.
I’m quite willing to take newbys on as they haven’t Been tainted with the “but I’ve always done it like this” attitude, and have taken them on many times in the past. It’s easier to shape them into how you do things so long as they are willing to listen, learn and most importantly ASK if they’re not sure.
I find if you’re willing to take the time to show the right newbie how to do it, and give them a chance, they are willing to put the effort in for the company. Pity more companies don’t think like me.

coiler:

hgvhgv:
Heya Folks,
Just wondered out of the newer drivers on here, what companies have you found to be taking on drivers with less than 2 years under their belt? Seems to be very difficult to find any work other than agency taking us on.
And what is the reason for this? Is it mainly due to the higher insurance premiums like when you first pass your car test?

Thanks

Tbh I think it’s a bit of an excuse, the 2 years experience for insurance reasons. I have a fleet policy and so long as I send the broker a copy of the licence it doesn’t matter how much experience or age you are. It’s only if you’ve been banned or got a drink driving points etc, then it just means a higher excess.
I’m quite willing to take newbys on as they haven’t Been tainted with the “but I’ve always done it like this” attitude, and have taken them on many times in the past. It’s easier to shape them into how you do things so long as they are willing to listen, learn and most importantly ASK if they’re not sure.
I find if you’re willing to take the time to show the right newbie how to do it, and give them a chance, they are willing to put the effort in for the company. Pity more companies don’t think like me.

Isn’t that a refreshing attitude? Good on you mate. :slight_smile:

coiler:

hgvhgv:
Heya Folks,

Thanks

Nice to hear someone offering a chance.

I was lucky cause my old firm paid for my class two and I was straight out on the road for them. Not everyone has this luxury but I’m so grateful

the company i work for has just taken a 19 year old lad straight on to an artic on the same money as the rest of us and to be fair he is a cracking lad and puts a few of the old boys to shame in reverse :smiley:

Morrisons took me on with only 8 months class 1 experience. I know for a fact (because I had a sneaky peek at the paperwork) that me having a CPC national and having completed all my DCPC got me the job. On the agencies I’ve worked for Stobarts (Crick and Corby), Maxi, Fowler Welch, SCS, David Maxim, Wincanton and a few others, and I’ve still yet to hit the two year mark. I later found that the agency slipped me into Wincanton without them knowing my lack of experience :open_mouth: . I did about a week before they found out, at which point they said I’d done a good job and I could carry on :smiley:. That was just a few days after passing as well.

Stobarts pal,

i was on my induction with 2 guys who had a combined HGV experience of 7 weeks.