THE VERY LAST GUY Big J Built

Ive got some photos of RGB 466T, which i was told was among the last batch of new Guy Big Js. Dont know how true it is but sounds pretty plausable to me. I,ll try and find the photos in the next couple of days and put them up.
If anyone can correctly guess what firm they belong to Bewick will give them a fiver.And its not BRS.

Carryfast:

yappie:
at that time carryfast the poor indian chap had been driving a poxy bedford tm4400 and wanted some thing that kept going not like a D/Dpowered bedford was it bedfords moto =you see us every where broken down!!!

As I remember it though there was’nt a big export market for Tata’s in the States probably because a Kenworth with an 8V92 and a Fuller 13 speed box in it would have been able to do two return runs across the States while a Tata or a Guy Big J would have only managed around halfway across in the same time. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Look Carryfast which orrofice on your body do you talk out of !! Don’t tell us !! let me guess ----- the one you sit on !! Bewick.

Mark R:
Ive got some photos of RGB 466T, which i was told was among the last batch of new Guy Big Js. Dont know how true it is but sounds pretty plausable to me. I,ll try and find the photos in the next couple of days and put them up.
If anyone can correctly guess what firm they belong to Bewick will give them a fiver.And its not BRS.

Youv’e got me there Mark but I’m pleased it wasn’t BRS !! I was always for private enterprise man my-self but surely someone will put me out of my misery and I don’t mean Carryfast with a humane Killer !!! Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Carryfast:
Maybe Bewick could correct me if I’m wrong but if I’ve read all that right it looks as though some guvnor decided to run an antique bit of British truck making history in a time when the firm’s drivers should have been driving something foreign and more up to date :question: :open_mouth: :laughing: .But it’s not surprising that Avtar Singh decided that the motor was ok considering what he’d have been driving at the time at home or even today. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: But what is surprising is that the guvnor did’nt try to find a whole fleet of the things and then sack all of his British drivers for a load of Indians. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Look the Guy Big J was a real reliable workhorse OK it did become outdated in the 70s but nevertheless it was an honest fleet motor especially for day shift I don’t think we ever touched any of our guys during the time we ran them other than tyres/brakes ect.They were economical and reliable especially for young drivers pity we never we had any when Yappie worked for us (he used to crucify a Scania 92 which still makes my teeth itch remembering !!!)anyway we are all still here although Yappie did try our patience quite severely at times !! But I know where an owd’ fella can get a decent cuppa on a frosty morning these days when the wife has kicked him out !! So Yappie and me are still Muckers only just !!!I have a B****y long memory which I’m still having treatment for !!Cheers Bewick.

Bewick there would be one thing in it’s favour if they still made it today.The agency driver reckoned that it would run at 56 mph so that would save the cost of fitting a speed limiter on it. :laughing: :laughing:

Not sure if it’s true, but Pickford roadtanks reputedley had the last batch of Big J 4t’s built in 78.

I may well be wrong here, but I thought that the last Guy was a high roof, walk through cab design. Powered by a Napier Deltic V18 two stroke with horizontally opposed pistons, as fitted to the Deltic locos, driving through a Foden 12 speed via chains to a Sentinal two spring double drive back end.

It was sold to the Carryfast Trans World Trucking Corporation for their pioneering route to Kazakhstan via Buenos Aires and Easter Island.

acd1202:
I may well be wrong here, but I thought that the last Guy was a high roof, walk through cab design. Powered by a Napier Deltic V18 two stroke with horizontally opposed pistons, as fitted to the Deltic locos, driving through a Foden 12 speed via chains to a Sentinal two spring double drive back end.

It was sold to the Carryfast Trans World Trucking Corporation for their pioneering route to Kazakhstan via Buenos Aires and Easter Island.

PMSL :laughing:

mikeyb:

acd1202:

PMSL :laughing:

I could well imagine that had Carryfast been in charge of vehicle purchasing he may very well have ordered such a beast !! no doubt he would have had to be sneaked into the factory in an unmarked asylem van and restrained in a straight jacket when he went to collect it !! Cheers Bewick.

This vehicle was in the livery of Dublin Bus.

However, the model’s future was predictably bleak and it was phased out by 1978, with other models similar to the Leyland Buffalo (AEC Mandator, Scammell Crusader and the BMC Mastiff which used a Guy chassis frame).

Wheel Nut:

However, the model’s future was predictably bleak and it was phased out by 1978, with other models similar to the Leyland Buffalo (AEC Mandator, Scammell Crusader and the BMC Mastiff which used a Guy chassis frame).

Hiya Wheel Nut I’d nearly forgotten that little gem of info ! the Mastiff chassis was indeed the same as used on the guy ! I think this thread is just about exhausted now and will have to be replaced with something as interesting !!

Apparently, this was one of the very last Guy Big Js to go into service. However, Pickfords also had some Treg,s as Straight Eight rightly pointed out, as did BRS and one or two others.I dont think we,ll ever know for sure, but hey, any excuse to put up a decent old lorry photo!!.

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

Hiya Wheel Nut I’d nearly forgotten that little gem of info ! the Mastiff chassis was indeed the same as used on the guy ! I think this thread is just about exhausted now and will have to be replaced with something as interesting !!

If the GUY thread is dying a fitting continuation would be the Mastiff. A lovely little truck.

But the thread title is a little misleading, maybe the build sheets are still available and it could be proven once and for all which lorry was the last built, but that is not necessarily the last lorry put on the road or registered.

Like the first Scania or first Volvo, it is subject to local knowledge of each dealer or supplier.

So Leyland Mastiffs then!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

If the GUY thread is dying a fitting continuation would be the Mastiff. A lovely little truck.

But the thread title is a little misleading, maybe the build sheets are still available and it could be proven once and for all which lorry was the last built, but that is not necessarily the last lorry put on the road or registered.

Like the first Scania or first Volvo, it is subject to local knowledge of each dealer or supplier.

So Leyland Mastiffs then!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea Wheelnut we ran a couple of Mastiffs a 26 ton with a Primrose built tandem 4 trailer it was built with Mastiff front hub assemblys so we could use ordinary 1100/22.5 tubless wheels not those poxy centre knave wheels used by Pitt/York ect. We also ran a 28 tonner that pulled our first York SL34 tandem . The 26tonner had the Eaton 1800 series axle and the 28 tonner had the 1900 series diff Both 2 speed .they both did ok for us and we ran them for about 2/3 years from memory then sold them for decent money into cockney land !!Cheers Bewick.

We used to get the Mastiffs in the garage at Abington,chassis cabs enroute from Bathgate.The most common problem was fuel starvation.What we had to do was fit a non return valve to the inlet side of the fuel pump.this cured the problem,but it was a pig of a job on the V8 Perkins to get to the lift pump although i’m sure someone will tell me different.

The mechanic:
We used to get the Mastiffs in the garage at Abington,chassis cabs enroute from Bathgate.The most common problem was fuel starvation.What we had to do was fit a non return valve to the inlet side of the fuel pump.this cured the problem,but it was a pig of a job on the V8 Perkins to get to the lift pump although i’m sure someone will tell me different.

Your Right there Robert, We had some big j’s with Perkins V8 and they weren’t eeasy to work on, the vee in the centre of the engine was always swimming with oil and diesel, injector pipes breaking was common but they could fly!

The mechanic:

Right Robert I’m your man !! although we had good service out of both tractors ( the 26 tonner was the better ) we had an F******g nightmare in the first month with the 28 tonner with fuel starvation ( and I was driving it ) you could crawl round a roundabout and as you straightened up — cut-out-- just as if you pulled the stopper!! To cure it ,and it did, we fitted an upturned Jam Jar filter glass on the pump so you then always had a head of diesel there !! Funny thing was the 26 tonner was never a minutes bother but it was getting a bit “Breathy” before we sold them but to keep the stour away from the back of the cab we dropped a flexi pipe down the back of the engine ---- problem solved Cheers Bewick.

Thanks for the reply bewick but you were’nt the person I was thinking of at the time.Awaiting reply with baited breath.

kr79:
Im sure on another thread it said harrisons who ran a fleet of old scammells well in to the 90s had a couple of s80 fodens they never put on the road.

There was only one Foden unregistered.

It’s still there now – if you want to make Peter Harrison a very large offer…

sorry op , for diversion…

Very last registed Guy big j -1988 on a E plate, from Bowaters Steel in the Midlands and had a 500 Fixed head in it

or so I heard…

Here it is…
Imgur

and now

ccmv.fotopic.net/p62779172.html

It was built in 1976 and bought as one of a pair by CP Tolley scrap merchants of Wolverhampton. When the first one wore out, E410 UEH was registerred and put to work. It was in an accident in 1993, renovated in 94 and sold on shortly afterwards with 77 000 kms on the clock. It has since been owned by John Murphy, Granville Mason and currently it’s with Chris Gould as GDN 323N.

fryske:
Very last registed Guy big j -1988 on a E plate, from Bowaters Steel in the Midlands and had a 500 Fixed head in it

or so I heard…

Here it is…
E410 UEA - Guy Big J6 | Reproduced with the kind permission … | Flickr

If this is true Fryske and I have no doubt that it is !! what a disasterous end to have to fit a poxy Leyland fixed head engine !! However if that was the last engine in the stores at Fallings Park I suppose they had to accept it !! Cheers Bewick.