Swift-ways guy big j,s

a bit of a shot in the dark but here it goes as a kid i would go with my next door neighbour for runs out in a guy big j .burt swift ran a fleet of these and this was in the late 80s a regular run was massey fergason tractors on a flatbed 40 footer to grimsby dock or hull or that tractor dealer on the a17 in louth .he had a sleeper cabbed big j and the guy that drove that did multi drop for chubb from the west mids.burt was bought out by bentons of brum.the swift guy js had a brown bottom and creme top if anyone has any pics or info please let me know.cheers :wink:

Did you ever run the tractors into Jack Holts yard near Wembley Cafe in Newport?

Thats the Newport in Humberside (Yorkshire)

Glenn who ran the company while his dad ran the coach business used to reload MF from Coventry and he always stored them in his yard till the ships were due in to load them. They would then have every company in the area running the tractors into Hull Docks.

At the time there were 2 young lads working in the office.

One was called Brian Yeardley and the other was Dave Riby :stuck_out_tongue:

Holts closed the haulage business down with the dock strikes and concentrated on the coach side.

He is now running as City Plant doing caravan and cabin transport

loaded with tractors

these pics were kindley sent to me by richard stainer who i met at the vintage truckshow at gaydon richard owns a guy big j and bought a brand new guy cab that burt swift had in his garage bentons of brum bought swiftways in the 80,s when burt got to old to run it.if the pics jog any memories of this firm and you have pics or even the copy of headlight they appeared in please pm me
thanks carl

there was an article done on this firm by headlight magazine,by any chance does anybody have any copies of headlight from the mid eighties
cheers

i spoke to burt recentley he,s knocking on but we had a great chat and he,s promised me some more photos.he also showed me an article comercial motor did when he packed in.that was 1989 the company was started in 1949 and ran guys to the end .if they tipped tractors in hull youd reload fertaliser in beverley,another job was for rugby cement of southam,a good pal of mine lent me this pic of one of the guys loaded with cement

Bloody hell Carl, you are reminding me of things now.

Wiles Fertiliser near Beverley. I had to do a google search to find out more :stuck_out_tongue:

George Wiles of Woodmansey was recorded as a fellmonger from 1905 and Charles Wiles (d. 1954) from 1921. Charles, who later worked in partnership with his brothers, bought 5 a. adjoining Figham in 1917 and built a factory there; in 1925 he bought another 7 a., on part of which he built Dunwood House soon after for his own residence. A further 22 a. were acquired in 1951. About 1950 the firm changed to the production of chemical fertilisers and bone meal. The much enlarged factory was sold in 1964 to Hargreaves Fertilizers but the business continued to be managed by the Wiles family. In 1984 Dunwood House was used as the firm’s offices.

I think that must be the bit I was looking for and the “a” must mean acres

Guy’s to the end, from 1949?
He must have run some Invincibles then, one of the better cabs around in its day.
Any pics of them then?

I use to do alot of massey tractors in the 70’s out of banner la, for Mousley Trucking, for my brother and when i had my own truck I would sub them from Morton’s, what I do remember about Swift Ways was that was the company that was strike breaking in the 1974 drivers strike. When I was learning to drive, I used to take tractors with another driver from Banner la to Livingston Allpack just behind Watford Gap where they used to do the CKD.

Great photo’s Carl.

dieseldog6:
what I do remember about Swift Ways was that was the company that was strike breaking in the 1974 drivers strike.

Do you mean '79 DD? Or perhaps the miners strike of '74? The one where Ted Heath put the country on the three day week.

No I do mean 1974 I think it may have been just Coventry, It’s what led to me getting my HGV quicker, because I was driving a ■■■■■■ 35 cwt at the time for Mousley Trucking even did abit of Germany with it, well I was 21 that year and when the strike ended, he sold all his trannys, well actually we had Merc 306’s by then, so we were made redundant, and with that money, I paided for my test, by the time of the 79 strike I was working for HW Dines of Merton , Bicester.