The Scammell Routeman

Enjoying this thread, does anyone know of any 8 wheeler ones for sale? Myself and the auld man are looking for one as he ran themin the 80’s
Cheers
John

Hi limey
Biesty ran his Scammells on J K L & M reg plates 1970 to 1974.But cheers for the photo anyway.
Last two from me for today both cracking restoration jobs.

Is this the 8 wheeler Dennis.Found it on the ■■■■■■■ thread posted by ste burrows (hope he wont mind me borrowing it for this thread) great looking motor & a supurb shot .

Stanfield:
Is this the 8 wheeler Dennis.Found it on the ■■■■■■■ thread posted by ste burrows (hope he wont mind me borrowing it for this thread) great looking motor & a supurb shot .0

Thats the shot John.and I’m sure Steve wont mind!!! Its pulling out of the Works with 15/16 ton of Barrow best!,IMO this was the “authentic” Scammell 8 wheeler,single drive axle,Scammell g/box and 150 Gardner engine.Once Leyland imposed their stamp,Albion DD/Leyland G/box and 600 or 680 engine,apart from the Michelotti cab the motor was no longer a “true Scammell”!! Brady’s also ran an Ergo cab single drive 8 wheel AEC MM in Furness Transport livery “D” reg IIRC and driven by Eddie Lomas who had been an origional FT driver.I defo have not seen a shot of the AEC,but I reckon there will be one somewhere as Brady’s did always photograph their new motors for publicity purposes.Anyway thanks for that John,Cheers Dennis.

FmTipper:
Enjoying this thread, does anyone know of any 8 wheeler ones for sale? Myself and the auld man are looking for one as he ran themin the 80’s
Hiya. you see the 3rd photo on this site(YPF170T) this chap has a batch of scammells but we can,t trace him at the moment, if i do
I,ll contact you. he must have at least 10 of them scattered about. a pal of mine (blue circle) has just scrapped 4 routemans.
John

Limey:
I thought this one of a pair of Peakstone brick cheesegraters may have originally been a Biesty tipper but the R plate suggests otherwise.

Hiya… limey this scammell was new to peakstone Eric Perkins had her. i run with him with a 40ft flat and he unloaded me.
this is where i got my hiab training. Eric later had is own foden with a brick trailer. i got the peakstone artic trailer
with a hiab on that Tony Heathcote had.
John

Dad drove these in the early 70’s for Hall Aggregates

3300John:
Hiya… limey this scammell was new to peakstone Eric Perkins had her. i run with him with a 40ft flat and he unloaded me.
this is where i got my hiab training. Eric later had is own foden with a brick trailer. i got the peakstone artic trailer
with a hiab on that Tony Heathcote had.
John

Eric started by buying one of these Scammell replacement Fodens - the one on the left known as Pride of Elworth- from Peakstone. It must have been the years of having to endurethe woeful 201 Gardner that powered her that pushed him into having a 525 ■■■■■■■ in his tractor unit. Didn’t Tony Heathcote have a Berliet at some stage?

3300John:

FmTipper:
Hiya. you see the 3rd photo on this site(YPF170T) this chap has a batch of scammells but we can,t trace him at the moment, if i do
I,ll contact you. he must have at least 10 of them scattered about. a pal of mine (blue circle) has just scrapped 4 routemans.
John

Fair play to you- keep me posted :smiley:
Cheers
John

Taken in BOCM selby early 80,s

Heres a rough old bus.

Limey:
Heres a rough old bus.
Hiya wow limey where was this photo taken■■? this IICR is a ex shell leyland comet.I think the chassis web points out not in.
If this leyland is the same one i think it is it run out of Croxton gravel at cheadle. laterthe chap run some transits doing pottery delivery.
Do you see eric very often■■? i saw him in a come valley lorry maybe a year ago. your right about Tony IICR the Berliet was Black.
the last i herd of Tony he was in the pub at Tideswell cross roads and possibly gone to the Duke of York at Taddington.
Love the photo of the old Scammell look alike it brings back some good memories as i had many breakfasts at the robin hood cafe
with the chap who ownwed her in the 70,s. there can,t be many who would go to the trouble of puttig a Scammell cab on a already
old Leyland…Thinking very hard the chap who ownwed ths Leyland/Scammell may have started ANC or somthing to do with it.not sure…
cheer,s John

Same Truck a few years earlier, just after the conversion, as said john3300 Leyland chassis presumably with a U/S cab and a scammell cab with a U/S chassis, I’m told it ran for many years without trouble

hiya john ,i see eric perkins quite often , he lives near me . he’s retired now , finished at somersets 2 or 3 years ago . he hasn’t changed a bit , dead easy going , always got a smile on his face . he says he goes camping on the continent [ spain & s. france ] he doesn’t take her indoors though , she doesn’t like travelling , typical eric . cheers , dave

hiya john ,i see eric perkins quite often , he lives near me . he’s retired now , finished at somersets 2 or 3 years ago . he hasn’t changed a bit , dead easy going , always got a smile on his face . he says he goes camping on the continent [ spain & s. france ] he doesn’t take her indoors though , she doesn’t like travelling , typical eric . cheers , dave

Hiya… say hello to him please rigsby from me . eric and i had a good laugh on the peaksone job. as you say eric,s pritty laid back
so it was no problem finding a cafe and a good brekki. I left harrisons s-o-t and run into eric when i was at glutton, it was eric who let
me know i,d just made a huge mistake. its good to know hes retired and enjoying life.
Cheers John

DADS SCAMMELL NCH 724P

DADS SCAMMELL NCH 724P

ackworth 2010