The Scammell Routeman

murphy01:
Thanks Sandway, the sideways thing seems to come natural!!

Hello murphy01 have you get any more pics of this Routeman tipper you drove :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

This is an evocative photo,Alec and James Smith by a Scammell.

5thwheel:
This is an evocative photo,Alec and James Smith by a Scammell.

A shot of two “proper” Hauliers in the day ! I was privileged to have known “Mr James” as he termed himself when he rang our office on his way North at times and we would have a brew at Burton Services but this was after they had sold out to United Group but what a great man to chat to about his years building up SoM with his Brother. He and Alex had started at the “bottom” and ended at the top of the industry without a doubt. Cheers Bewick.

Here is another,ready to roll.

I spent many hours behind the wheel of Routeman, good Tipper in it’s day…

RJ

Any photos or stories about this once great motor.
Looking for pictures of Scammell Routeman 8 Wheeler tippers belonging to John Biesty for Transport Collyhurst Manchester who were then bought out in 1973 by Staveley Industries/Peakstone if anyone has any.

Pelters SCAMMELL ROUTEMAN.jpg
SCAMMELL ROUTEMAN.jpg

This one is from the Len Rogers collection as you can see.

ex ARC SOUTHERN (Tavistock)
now resides in a commercial repair & scammel enthusiast yard near cwmbran

i have to say i’m more into classic tractors of the agricultural type but if i had time money & space only this scammell & a Volvo F10 has ever made me want to have a commercial classic

Spent lots of saturday mornings and school holidays in the passenger seat of ones my dad drove for some of south and east londons more dubious muck away hauliers

And much liked by the Fair Ground Boys!

Drove one (prior to my HGV licence) round Northfleet Cement Works for a little while in 1984, it had a big suction tanker on it called a ‘Bi-Vac’

It had been an ex bulk tanker, and was painted in that horrible beige colour so it didn’t show the tons of cement dust that were stuck to it…

I have found these on the “Sykes Bulk Liquids” thread one is John Stanfields and I think the other is Steve Cooks. I was surprised there was only one on the “Oil Companys” thread as Shell and B P as well as a lot of smaller firms ran the routeman on tanker work Shaws had over 20 on the fuel oil side when I started mid 70s

John I have put your name on your picture as it was not on
cheers Johnnie

I remember Brady’s ran a couple of Michelotti Scammells,a Routeman 8 wheeler flat and a 4X2 tractor in the 60’s both with Gardner 150’s IIRC.They both stood out from the rest of the all Leyland fleet,very smart they were! I wonder if there is a photo knocking about of either or both of them? Bubbs?? I remember an anecdote about the 8 wheeler that had been struggling to get back to Barrow because it was jumping out of gear.It was fully freighted with a couple of wide steel plates for the Shipyard,and when it started to climb Lindale Hill on the A590 the driver decided enough was enough so he rang in to Barrow to explain the problem.Without more ado Bob Brady snr shoots out in the car and announces"I’ll get it up and over the Hill,watch"! So “The Big’un” sets off and gets up to first corner when “bang” it jumps out of cog and runs back down the hill taking the corner out of the Pub at the bottom of the hill with the side of the plates!!! The repairs to the corner of the "bottom house"as it was called(there being a pub about halfway up as well)were visible for years after!! Cheers Dennis.

Hiya …my mates lorrys before he sold them

john

i did my first international trip in one of them scammells for TRI star leeds,it was early february 1978,took an empty lowloader 4 inline rented from TIP to wolvega holland to pick up a machine,it had a rolls royce engine(ithink it was a 220)no power steering,heater did not work, no sleeper but that was normal in them days,what a job that was,the ferry was from ipswich to rotterdam,a brand new ship,they could not close the water tight door in ipwich,when they did get it closed 1&1/2 days later we sailed to rotterdam then it would not open at rotterdam 1/2 day they got it open,i went and loaded the machine came back to rotterdam,guess what TRI star could not afford the sea freight back to ipswich,so after they sorted that out i shipped to hull,what a night on that ferry i had.

Is this the unit you have mentioned Dennis.
Brady of Barrow 1.jpg
Two here from the Petrol boys.

I think the “cheesegrater” looks better with the twin headlights rather than the oblong crusader items.

They were quite a favorite with the tipper companys in the late 60s early 70s.Must admit I to prefered them with the twin headlights.Iv’e changed a few rear springs on these in my time aswell.
Chapmans L Reg Scammell Routeman.jpg
Garratt&Hemphrey.jpg
Kings Scammell Routeman.jpg

I thought this one of a pair of Peakstone brick cheesegraters may have originally been a Biesty tipper but the R plate suggests otherwise.

Stanfield:
Is this the unit you have mentioned Dennis.2
Two here from the Petrol boys.10

Thanks for that shot of the Brady Scammell John,I think there is one on the thread of the 8 wheeler pulling out through the arch at Barrow Steelworks and I think it is in the livery of Furness Transport.a firm Brady’s took over.Cheers Dennis.