The River Tyne

hi Lawrence saw this at tibshelf services,with a Tyne mural.regards alan

Lawrence Dunbar:

CJA1:
Hi Larry, u will remember this place in it"s heyday? RHM, Cheers Chris.

rhm Baltic mills.JPG

Yes I remember the place, Did plenty of hand ball loads both in & out, What a crap place, And its still there to-day, But as you will know its a tourist attraction, Regards Larry.

The Tyne on a busy sunny day, Regards Larry.

A very smart newley painted Swing Bridge, Regards Larry.

A very busy Sunday Market, When I worked for Jonnie Baxter the drivers leaving on a Sunday had to be on the Quayside earley to get their wagons out especially the old wagon & drag, Happy days, Regards Larry.

Geo, Gowlands 6 Wheeler on the Quayside, (Taken over by Van Hee Transport) Ltd, in later years, Regards Larry.

A bit more for you Lawrence.

from Tractor and Construction Plant Wikia
Saurer commercial vehicles were designed and produced in Switzerland by Adohlf Saurer AG from 1902 till 1982. The UK firm of Pickfords were an importer from 1907 in the UK. Then in 1930 Armstrong Whitworth who were loooking to diversify from the armaments business obtained a licensed to produce the Sauer trucks at its Scotswood-on-Tyne works for the UK market.
The First UK built models were shown at the 1931 Commercial Motor Show in London.[2] But by 1937 Production ceased
Cheers
Oily

A couple more.
Oily

Anyone like to see the Tuxedo Royale back on Tyneside?

Great stuff Oily A/Ws place at Gateshead Close Works is still going but under a different name, This Scammell that my Grandad drove is A/Ws Close Works, Regards Larry.

Jazzandy:
Anyone like to see the Tuxedo Royale back on Tyneside?

Heres a photo of the floating wotsit, Ha Ha, Regards Larry.

Ive just read where, The Tuxedo is semi sunk in the River Tees close to the Transporter Bridge, Regards Larry.

I thought the replies to the River Tyne would have been better, Of course the Era Im referring to a lot of drivers & dockers will no longer be with us, Like a lot of the local haulage Cos that no longer exist, But Im sure there must still be some drivers still breathing & drinking to say the least will remember these long gone happy days, Regards Larry.

The River Tyne …I was in and out of the Tyne when I was at sea mainly loading coal I think the last time ever was up at Dunston 1972 ■■ then during 58 I was on a ship which unloaded rolls of newsprint at the famous Newcastle Quay …nights were spent at the Oxford Galleries if there was a dance on … also joined a few ships at South Shields (Tyne Dock) But also spent some time around Tyneside during my time on the road all happy memories

Tyne Commision Quay North Shields, Regards Larry.

hi larry did a few trips to Ireland on the tuxcedo,it was the Caledonian princes in them days from stranraer to Larne,one night we left stranraer for larne and sailed into a force 6/7 storm, lay of larne for 3hours has it couldn.t get into the harbour, so they brought it back to stranraer, they was not many taker’s of the free breakfast which was offered when docked :laughing: :laughing: bumper

Here’s a couple of Tyne related shots Larry, (both taken at Beamish) the Armstrong was built on the riverside and the trolleybus probably took some of the workers to their daily toil at Scotswood. Regards Kev.
DSCN1206.jpg
DSCN1207.jpg
DSCN1201.jpg

Aye & he must of left his tweezers in the Hotel, His tash is going wild, The silly old twit, Plus his skeets don’t look right either, Regards Larry