blue estate:

Suedehead:

robthedog:
Interesting

Is it towing an Allegro vanden plas ?
Cant work out what that car is :neutral_face:

I would say more like a Toyota or some other jap car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it might just be an Australian Ford. They were imported in the 70´s I seem to recall. But I have not yet looked on Dr Google for pics.

Dipster:

blue estate:

Suedehead:

robthedog:
Interesting

Is it towing an Allegro vanden plas ?
Cant work out what that car is :neutral_face:

I would say more like a Toyota or some other jap car

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it might just be an Australian Ford. They were imported in the 70´s I seem to recall. But I have not yet looked on Dr Google for pics.

Agreed it does seem to have an Aussie built Ford look about it, bit like a Telstar or early Laser comes to mind. But I’ll give it a go with a car I know was around in the UK in small numbers to match the (I think) age of the photo - reckon on a 1983 Hyundai Stellar. The indicator repeaters are like a Canadian spec one I saw on Wikipedia.

The Ford has got a Bedfordshire registration. YNM starting September 1972.

There is no way that cab started its life on that chassis

Suedehead:

Agreed, it’s a "“bitsa”, AEC front axle for starters. And, they’re not very clear, could be Albion rear axle hubs.

gingerfold:

Suedehead:

Agreed, it’s a "“bitsa”, AEC front axle for starters. And, they’re not very clear, could be Albion rear axle hubs.

Would imagine it would be a bit of a boil ache to tilt the cab aswell

Am I imagining it but were some of the early D Series made with a fixed (non tilting) cab but fitted with a removeable cab floor instead as an option? I seem to remember something about it at the time but that was a long while ago now! :blush: I know that Albion made their Ergomatic cabs in a non tilting version and you could tell the difference as there was no ‘join’ in the front wings, we inherited one at Tilcon from Oxted Greystone Lime, but I had a feeling Ford offered the same option originally? Wikipedia doesn’t mention it though. :confused:

Pete.

windrush:
Am I imagining it but were some of the early D Series made with a fixed (non tilting) cab but fitted with a removeable cab floor instead as an option? I seem to remember something about it at the time but that was a long while ago now! :blush: I know that Albion made their Ergomatic cabs in a non tilting version and you could tell the difference as there was no ‘join’ in the front wings, we inherited one at Tilcon from Oxted Greystone Lime, but I had a feeling Ford offered the same option originally? Wikipedia doesn’t mention it though. :confused:

Pete.

I have no recollection of that at all.

Dipster:

windrush:

Pete.

The reason for the option was to make it more useful for a luton.
Tony

Here’s one in Turkey at the border with Iraq. Habur.

34 D Series.jpg

34 Istanbul Reg.

Honestly Guv, the diesel is for my own personal use !! :smiley:
Another day at the Iraq/Turkey border…

The road to Habur.jpg

rastone:

Dipster:

windrush:

Pete.

The reason for the option was to make it more useful for a luton.
Tony

Thankyou for confirming it Tony, I thought that might have been the reason. Generally most Luton bodies I encountered had a flap anyway (not so today with horseboxes though it seems! :unamused: ) so I’m guessing the option wasn’t popular, although those Pantechnicons with a cab built into the body (integral is the word I’m searching for! :blush: ) would have found it usefull.

Pete.

Would imagine this unit was fairly new.

7D88A73F-E152-4E17-ABEC-8E94DDD93FA3.jpeg

5thwheel:

■■■■■■■ V8 !! I wonder how long it lasted getting punched up and down day and night ? not long I guess as they couldn’t stand up to every man and his dog thrashing them ! SoM probably had to show willing to Ford’s as they were large customers but privately they could not have been very happy with the D1000’s reliability ! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

■■■■■■■ V8 !! I wonder how long it lasted getting punched up and down day and night ? not long I guess as they couldn’t stand up to every man and his dog thrashing them ! SoM probably had to show willing to Ford’s as they were large customers but privately they could not have been very happy with the D1000’s reliability ! Cheers Dennis.

Interesting point.

My experience of Ford (or FoMoCo as it was known then) was after sales service was always excellent over many years. I can imagine a big user would have received really excellent after sales from Ford. So I doubt SoM suffered financially very much if at all.

Bewick:

5thwheel:

I agree Dennis,can’t imagine a power unit of anything less,but the OD■■? signifies a Manchester based tractor unit,so as you correctly state,it would be up and down the old A74 as regular as clockwork,although it might have been running light,I.e.Kodak or Boots from Wythenshawe with single axle box vans.

David

Dipster:

Bewick:

5thwheel:

Interesting point.

My experience of Ford (or FoMoCo as it was known then) was after sales service was always excellent over many years. I can imagine a big user would have received really excellent after sales from Ford. So I doubt SoM suffered financially very much if at all.

Even if there is/was 100% warranty support it is the inconvenience of breakdowns and downtime thereafter and it is this element that causes serious operational difficulties and believe me the ■■■■■■■ V’s were very unreliable and the Perkins V’s which superseded them were not much of an improvement. The only way you could succeed with both these engines was to treat them with the greatest respect and in no way were they in the same league as the Gardner or Straight 6 ■■■■■■■ engines although at first they were promoted as being ! Big mistake ! Cheers Bewick.