michel:
In Uruguay.

Nothing humble about that one! Robert :open_mouth: :smiley:

A great promo film from 1968. Here’s the link! Robert

facebook.com/video.php?v=530248580448942

gardnersmoke:

Andydisco:
found this parked in a field by Dalmellington the other week

Another D Series still waiting to be saved parked on a farm in Northamptonshire.

and here’s the shell d1000 fresh out the paintshop when new

bazztrucker:
This was my D1411, not many of them about(thankfully),mostly carried corrugated packaging(as here) from triwall Monmouth.did that job for 14 years.forgot to say the lorry was ex macfisheries.

So it had been round the block umpteen times before you got it? I feel your pain :open_mouth:

moomooland:
How many of us Class 1 drivers on here passed their test in one of these. :smiley:

Me too in 1985, though with the later cab. V8.540, 2-speed axle (that didn’t work - stuck in High, thankfully). Bouncy wasn’t the word, typical D Series flappy mirrors.

robert1952:
Woolwich Ferry, I think… robert

“S’orright guv’nor, I made the ferry just in time”

I drove a few Ford D-Series in the 1970’s and 1980’s.

To begin with, I did my HGV course on a D-Series flat at Road Transport Training, at Mendlesham in Suffolk - can’t remember which but it had a 6-cylinder engine and 4-speed box.

I worked for a year at M.A.Lloyds. at Parham Airfield, near Framlingham, Suffolk. There were three D-Series 16-ton 4 wheelers there. Two were bulk grain tippers that had ‘convertible’ bodies - i.e the sides could be removed so they could be used as flats, and of course they also had rope hooks too! One was a nice D1614 with the 6-cylinder turbo engine and 6-speed gearbox - reg OBJ413M. The other one, (PPW768F I think) had a ■■■■■■■ ‘Vale’ V8 engine and 5-speed box and was a bit tired. ■■■■■■■ V8’s tended to be very noisy and this lorry was no exception. I can remember stuffing my old green corduroy jacket round base of the the gear lever on what was then the A45 (now A14) Newmarket by-pass to keep the noise down, probably on my way to Myhills RHM grainstore at Little Walden airfield that was a frequent destination. The third D-Series was another D1614 turbo with an alloy cattle body. That had the turbo engine and 5-speeds plus a 2-speed axle. I also sometimes drove another ■■■■■■■ V8 engined grain tipper, belonging to a farmer called Robert Mayhew who ran 2 lorries - in fact it was the first fully loaded HGV I ever drove.

A few years later when I was a mature student at Loughborough I got a day’s casual work at a removal company called Bewley and Schepens, where I was tasked to drive a brand-spanking new Bedford / Marsden pantechnicon DTJ155T to Hinckley as its regular driver was on holiday. While I was waiting for loading to finish and nervously eyeing up the vast expanse of pristine brown and cream paintwork, they gave me an old Ford D-Series 7.5 tonner with 4-cylinder engine to make a local delivery.

…And that sort of completes the D-Series picture as far as 4-wheelers go as I only had a class 3 licence at the time.

Oh yes, before moving to Suffolk I lived in Bishop’s Stortford, Hertfordshire and I had a summer job at Alfred Button, or APT, a grocery wholesale company that supplied a chain of small shops. I was in the warehouse a lot of the time but sometimes went out as a driver’s mate on the small artics they used for deliveries. All but one of the tractor units were Ford D-series with non-turbo 6-cylinder engines and 4-speed boxes. The box trailers had automatic Scammell couplings and, if I recall right, over-run brakes worked by the coupling.

Apparently the Ford D-series was originally available with a petrol engine, but can’t remember ever seeing one (or should that be hearing one).

There were a few petrol engined D series around when I was an apprentice fitter in the 60’s but, like petrol TK’s, they were in horseboxes usually driven by fit young stable girls! :smiley:

Pete.

Very popular as Recovery Vehicles also

And security vans that fell over,

The D series certainly was available in petrol we had a few that were supplied and maintained by the ford dealership i did my apprenticeship at .

they were both D 300’S operated by fizzy drinks manufacturers in Crosshands T.A.James & Sons and D.C.Davies.

Happy Days. :smiley:

E.W.

On the subject of D-Series and recovery vehicles, I remember going into a works somewhere in Suffolk where they were rebuilding a large 6x6 recovery vehicle, probably a Scammell Constructor, and it had been fitted with a Ford D-Series cab, high up and behind the engine, so it would have a long bonnet in front.

Caffeine:
On the subject of D-Series and recovery vehicles, I remember going into a works somewhere in Suffolk where they were rebuilding a large 6x6 recovery vehicle, probably a Scammell Constructor, and it had been fitted with a Ford D-Series cab, high up and behind the engine, so it would have a long bonnet in front.

Now that I would like to see.
Any photos, or company names?

Caffeine:

Caffeine

This one lived over the border in Great Yarmouth but was allegedly converted by Hammonds of Halesworth. I know some ex Hammonds lads will ask them if they know anything about it. Credit for picture go’s to Ian on Flickr.
flickr.com/photos/22041090@ … 4xm-e5Frsh

Regards
Daz

Interesting photo, but the one I remember seeing had the D-Series cab mounted behind the engine. Possibly to do with Unispeed, or maybe the Ford cab was off a Birds Eye or Unispeed lorry before it was painted - did they have any D-Series? I lived near Halesworth but the main Hammond’s commercial vehicle place was a few miles away at Wenhaston at the time, I think. They had a smart yellow AEC 6-wheel breakdown with pre-Ergo cab.

Ford D in Netherland.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

One from the Atlas fleet

Dads first foray into france, destination camping green st tropez 1970 i think. Dby was to spectacularly expire on the autoroute near montelimar a couple of days after this photo. The tractor unit was recovered to garage moderne in montelimar on the back of a wrecker, and they lent dad a berliet to get the trailer off the autoroute .
Fords sent all the parts out to repair , but , the parts were for a 380 cu and dby was a 365 cu, so another lot had to be sent.
Any way after a week or so of faffing and repairing , raul canet presented him with the bill, dad handed over all his money,
(Dad had no french ,raul had no english), raul gave him enough money back to carry on . Dad paid him on the next trip and a lifelong friendship was formed.trip took 3 weeks in all.

Hello.

New here.

Have a question.

Been searching here for the answer, but couldnt find it.

Dont know if this is the right place to ask, but…

Why is the Ford D series called humble?

Is there somewhere to read any history about it?

Thanks! // Joergen