The humble Ford D series

aldafdriver:
I had 3 D series when I first passed my class three test,the first was an M reg then onto the S reg pictured here. This was a 1314 turbo with 6 speed box and 2 speed axle,then onto my first brand new motor the V reg this was also a 1314 turbo 6 speed and 2 speed axle ,ordered from T C Harrison trucks in Derby but delivered from Ford direct to Locomotors in Andover who did the sleeper cab conversion,it was then collected by one of our fitters and delivered to TCH who carried the pre delivery inspection.It had a Custom cab with a twin passenger seat finished in a stripey fabric material a raised bunk and a Blaukpunt cassete radio with extra speakers set into a new insulated roof lining.There were only two problems with it the cab was really heavy to tilt because of the extra weight of the sleeper and at that time drawbars were still limited by law to 30 mph on all roads other than motorways where you could do 60

I sold the sleeper cab motor to Tyre and Tune ( Ken Miller and Colin Perkins) When I delivered to them ,Ken was a bit upset about the finish of the join of the sleeper conversion. However I think you will find it came to T.C.H. and was then sent to H.L.Smith at Albrighton for a two speed axle conversion.Afterwards we did the P.D.I. and delivered it to Castle Gresley

Tony

rastone:

aldafdriver:
I had 3 D series when I first passed my class three test,the first was an M reg then onto the S reg pictured here. This was a 1314 turbo with 6 speed box and 2 speed axle,then onto my first brand new motor the V reg this was also a 1314 turbo 6 speed and 2 speed axle ,ordered from T C Harrison trucks in Derby but delivered from Ford direct to Locomotors in Andover who did the sleeper cab conversion,it was then collected by one of our fitters and delivered to TCH who carried the pre delivery inspection.It had a Custom cab with a twin passenger seat finished in a stripey fabric material a raised bunk and a Blaukpunt cassete radio with extra speakers set into a new insulated roof lining.There were only two problems with it the cab was really heavy to tilt because of the extra weight of the sleeper and at that time drawbars were still limited by law to 30 mph on all roads other than motorways where you could do 60

I sold the sleeper cab motor to Tyre and Tune ( Ken Miller and Colin Perkins) When I delivered to them ,Ken was a bit upset about the finish of the join of the sleeper conversion. However I think you will find it came to T.C.H. and was then sent to H.L.Smith at Albrighton for a two speed axle conversion.Afterwards we did the P.D.I. and delivered it to Castle Gresley

Tony

If you’re the Tony I think you are then I haven’t seen you for many years now but I bet I bump into you at the "Lupin Farm Gathering " tomorrow, Mr. Smith ?

A 1972/3 reg. Ford D Series , complete with sheeted load.

Photographed at the recent ■■■■■■■ Steam Gathering.

Cheers , cattle wagon man.

1970commer:

rastone:

aldafdriver:

Tony

If you’re the Tony I think you are then I haven’t seen you for many years now but I bet I bump into you at the "Lupin Farm Gathering " tomorrow, Mr. Smith ?

Yes that’s me Mr Wakefield but I can’t get today which is a shame

Tony

rastone:

1970commer:

rastone:

aldafdriver:

Tony

Yes that’s me Mr Wakefield but I can’t get today which is a shame

Tony

Hi Tony, I went to Lupin Farm today, well the weather looked nice this morning, there was the usual good turn out & when I spoke to Edwin your name did crop up, I was only thinking of you the other day when a post came on here about SAY transport, I remember the picture you sent to Heritage Commercials of Andy’s D series when Stuart tipped it over. There’s also a picture on page 4 of this thread of a 1968 D series you sold my dad. If you go on my website you will see the vehicles we have had over the years although my dad didn’t take many, they’re on wakefieldsoflongford.co.uk

Pity about the show.First time I’ve missed. Your dad is shovelling of Walter’s Trader according to the factory dropsides

Here is a better photo of the West Artic. taken of their sleeper cab.

Tony

1989 With Sleeper.jpg

Woolwich Ferry, I think… robert

hhhh.jpg

Came across this in my collection, quick picture taken from my window while stopped at roadworks on the A1 north of the border about 1971.
Bernard

D.F.S. D-Series and bodies.jpg

albion1938:
Came across this in my collection, quick picture taken from my window while stopped at roadworks on the A1 north of the border about 1971.
Bernard

Just a pic or two of D-series.

J.C.Gallimore DT 1700,D.F.S 7.5 Tonners and Reckitt Coleman

To D or not to D ?

Photograph courtesy of John Wakely

In 1979 Ind Coope bought 33 D-1313 drays and I wondered if anyone has a photo

rastone:

albion1938:
Bernard

Malcom Harrison had a ford D series like this red one.it was a C reg possibly one of the very first on the road he had a driver
Ken Rogers as Malc wasn’t old enough to drive it.
John

rastone:

albion1938:
Bernard

Malcom Harrison had a ford D series like this red one.it was a C reg possibly one of the very first on the road he had a driver
Ken Rogers as Malc wasn’t old enough to drive it.
John

How many of us Class 1 drivers on here passed their test in one of these. :smiley:

moomooland:
How many Class 1 drivers on here passed their test in one of these. :smiley:

My mate passed his test with Sammy Jones in a D series and i think that was his instructor in pic,■■■■ …,someone on here will know his surname