The Foden 2 Stroke Engine

oiltreader:

Guy Big J 8lxb:

Trucky Mc truckface:
This might bring back a few memories.

youtube.com/watch?v=DHlLepU3VME

That took right back to my childhood, thank you, what a cracking looking Motor, he knows how to drive it too…

RJ

Same wagon on a different trip, competent driver.
youtube.com/watch?v=5pwhm_xoDiY
Same wagon the bare bones
youtube.com/watch?v=UMIStPzUZwc
Oily

Thank you, I enjoyed those…

Ray

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

Were any built? I would like to hear a 12 cylinder one. :smiley:

Me too, as a kid I would have wet myself :laughing:

RJ

This Foden is a two stroke, This was taken some years ago a the Otterburn show, Ralph Crow the owner let me drive it around the arena , Im had Fodens of my own & I enjoyed every minute of driving them, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:
0This Foden is a two stroke, This was taken some years ago a the Otterburn show, Ralph Crow the owner let me drive it around the arena , Im had Fodens of my own & I enjoyed every minute of driving them, Regards Larry.

Was that the first time you had driven a 2 stroke Larry, I was looking at a photo of one of your Fodens the other day an artic tipper, I think it had a 680 in it, good looking motor :wink:

RJ

windrush:

Carryfast:

windrush:
I think the two stroke was a brave attempt by Foden’s to try something in heavier weight trucks that British operators were not used to, and even to this day they have never really accepted anything other than ‘traditional’ four stroke engines.

Pete.

The main issue with two strokes is getting enough air into the cylinder charge and relying on just the scavenging of the outgoing exhaust to drag the charge in was never the ideal solution.The loss of the induction stroke really wastes a lot of cylinder volume because there isn’t time to fill the cylinder properly before the start of the compression stroke unlike in the case of a four stroke.Bolting a turbocharger to a two stroke is a game changer in that regard providing potentially massive effective specific outputs both torque and power.

Fodens were supercharged

Or was it just the ‘blower’ used to replace the lesser scavenging effect when starting and at lower revs like the non turbo Detroits ?.

Guy Big J 8lxb:

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

RJ

I can’t wait to get home, and put that through some decent British amplification.

Edit- bugger. This phone does not know how to copy Youtube addresses. We’ll all have to wait. :smiley:

Guy Big J 8lxb:

[zb]
anorak:

Frankydobo:

RJ

It can’t possibly sound any better than this. :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZmytwZnXgjM

Maybe unless it’s this.
youtube.com/watch?v=O2O6vFb4sT0

The sound of the V16 ringing in my ears nearly every day from the age of 16-21 and getting paid for it was my introduction to the world of trucks.Although personally I prefer the sound of the V12 but unfortunately it wasn’t powerful enough for us. :smiley:

Foden two stroke engine… a lot of noise and fuss for very little performance… and yes I have driven one.

gingerfold:
Foden two stroke engine… a lot of noise and fuss for very little performance… and yes I have driven one.

Now now Graham be very carful posting scathing opinions like this about the Foden “sacred cow” !!! Although I reckon a “sacred cow” would be a better prospect than a Foden 2 Stroke engine ! :blush: You must realise Mate that criticising a bag of ■■■■■ like this engine is akin to doing the same to a Vegan !! I’m surprised at you Graham as if we don’t mind you will be disputing that the world is not flat and the moon is not made of green cheese ! Cheers Dennis.

Don`t know what Punchy Dan has in his Foden but he passed my tired old DAF today like I was standing still

when i retire i’m going to restore a Foden 2 stroke and paint it up in Bewick colours :laughing:

gingerfold:

Probably the result of the school of thought which says that two stroke must mean exactly twice the specific output. :unamused: So not exactly surprising from such a stupidly small capacity motor.Had they gone for 8 litre + it probably would have been a different kettle of fish. :bulb:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … ke-engines

carryfast-yeti:
when i retire i’m going to restore a Foden 2 stroke and paint it up in Bewick colours :laughing:

If there’s enough room we can park it with my 8v92 Bdeford TM. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Its a foden today usually a pac horse (paccar) ■■■■ spell checker oh well

Bewick:

gingerfold:

Now now Graham be very carful posting scathing opinions like this about the Foden “sacred cow” !!! Although I reckon a “sacred cow” would be a better prospect than a Foden 2 Stroke engine ! :blush: You must realise Mate that criticising a bag of [zb] like this engine is akin to doing the same to a Vegan !! I’m surprised at you Graham as if we don’t mind you will be disputing that the world is not flat and the moon is not made of green cheese ! Cheers Dennis.

Dennis, I thought it would stir a bit of controversial banter to take our minds off other things at the moment. I’ll paraphrase the saying “if it looks right it is right” to “if it sounds nice it is nice”. How anyone thinks that those howling banshee 2 stroke engines of any make sounds nice… then they must have a serious hearing defect. We’ll have Carryfast here in a minute on about the Detroit thingy… unless he’s still busy writing his conspiracy theory about the reasons for the Coronavirus. :confused: :confused:

Bewick:

gingerfold:

Now now Graham be very carful posting scathing opinions like this about the Foden “sacred cow” !!! Although I reckon a “sacred cow” would be a better prospect than a Foden 2 Stroke engine ! :blush: You must realise Mate that criticising a bag of [zb] like this engine is akin to doing the same to a Vegan !! I’m surprised at you Graham as if we don’t mind you will be disputing that the world is not flat and the moon is not made of green cheese ! Cheers Dennis.

I can’t really see why you describe it as a ‘bag of ■■■■’ Dennis? It was in production for many years, possibly a similar time span as the presumably ‘equally bag of ■■■■’ TS3 engine that was extremely popular especially with tipper operators in this area, and it was a very lightweight (under half a ton) economical and latterly very reliable power unit? As I said previously I knew many who drove and operated them and all rated them for their fantastic performance (hills, what hills were those then?) so they couldn’t have been THAT bad? Drivers who had driven them and were then handed a Gardner 150 engined Foden were rather dissapointed. I can’t think off hand which other two strokes were as popular in the UK in heavy road vehicles as the Foden and Rootes engines were? :confused:

There was one downside though, at least locally, as when Bernard Swain’s drivers left the yard at Cromford wharf with their two stroke engined tankers they couldn’t fiddle their start time as Bernard could hear them passing his house on the A6, they got round it by parking at the quarry in Cromford and going the ‘back way’ to Derby via Wirksworth! :wink:

Pete.

Well Pete seeing as we are all on “lock down” and the 240LXB Big J thread is well past it’s “sell by” maybe having an in depth ( sensible) discussion about the merits or downsides of the Foden 2 stroke and I suppose the TS3 will stir the thoughts “various” of quite a few Lads on TNUK “yawn” !!!
Seriously though how many of Fodens own engines did they sell compared to the number of Gardner, ■■■■■■■ & Leyland 680’s ? As far as I am concerned the Foden 2 stroke was similar to the ill-fated ■■■■■■■ V6---- now they were bags of ■■■■■ but when Jaguar launched the Big J the ■■■■■■■ V6 was going to be the standard power unit built at the old Meadows factory next door ( another bag of ■■■■■ if ever there was one as well) But the ■■■■■■■ V6 was dropped like a “hot potato” when the unreliability came home to roost PDQ ! Cheers Dennis.

gingerfold:
Dennis, I thought it would stir a bit of controversial banter to take our minds off other things at the moment. I’ll paraphrase the saying “if it looks right it is right” to “if it sounds nice it is nice”. How anyone thinks that those howling banshee 2 stroke engines of any make sounds nice… then they must have a serious hearing defect. We’ll have Carryfast here in a minute on about the Detroit thingy… unless he’s still busy writing his conspiracy theory about the reasons for the Coronavirus. :confused: :confused:

To be fair I think that it’s all horses for courses and a 12 v 71 or even a 6v92 actually have just as nice harmonics of a four engined Lancaster under takeoff power as shown at the end of the Freightliner vid which I posted.While I can also appreciate the sound of a highly strung Italian V12 car engine or t a lesser extent a big block US V8 at both ends of its revs spectrum.While an old BMC C series 6 pulling at 3,000 rpm is also one of the sweetest sounds known to man just like a Rolls or 14 litre ■■■■■■■ can be lugging at 1,400 rpm.But not so keen generally on multiples of 4 cylinders.

As you’ll see I have no single conspiracy ‘theory’ regards the Chinese virus.But I do think that the Chinese military having something to do it with for nefarious reasons is ahead. :wink:

WE are doomed— ■■■■■■■ doomed---- “CF” has joined the fray so that’s the thread ■■■■■■ me thinks ! :wink: :open_mouth: :angry: :angry: :angry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No new design of engine would have converted ‘stick in the mud’ operators in the fifties/sixties away from tried and proven engines like Gardner and perhaps Leyland (■■■■■■■ were not big here in the fifties/early sixties which is when the Foden 'stroker was being offered in reasonable numbers) as they tended to stick with what they knew and trusted Dennis. I doubt that even makers like Detroit, which were well proven in the USA and other countries, would have made any impact with their products in the UK? You ran a ‘radical engine for the time’ yourself, a ■■■■■■■ V8, and they didn’t have a good reputation either, our local Ford dealership was awash with them having warranty problems and Ford gave up with them in the end.

Pete.