The classic 12-metre tandem spread-axle tilt

Carryfast:

robert1952:

380streamline:
Another great Thread Robert! The widespread tandem Tilt is definitely the most Iconic classic Trailer! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thanks! Yes, I think so too :sunglasses: . Cheers, Robert

Coincidentally the idea is still in common use across the Atlantic.Arguably to better effect regards weight distribution with their typically more set back axle line. :bulb:

farm4.static.flickr.com/3746/142 … 0610_b.jpg

10’1" spread on them, it allows 40,000lbs on the bogie instead of the regular 34,000lbs. Mostly used on fridges and flats.

newmercman:

Carryfast:
Coincidentally the idea is still in common use across the Atlantic.Arguably to better effect regards weight distribution with their typically more set back axle line. :bulb:

10’1" spread on them, it allows 40,000lbs on the bogie instead of the regular 34,000lbs. Mostly used on fridges and flats.

That’s interesting about the weight allowance.

I watch a few youtube channels from the States, and there seems to be more of the close coupled tandem bogies, especially on the dry vans, though I do like the idea of the sliding bogie to balance weight distribution :smiley:

Carryfast:

robert1952:

Carryfast:

With the spread that wide, it gives the trailer a gawky look! Robert

+1

Definitely a case of function over form in that case. :wink:

Although having said that I prefer the 3 + triaxle configuration in the case of artics at least regards form and as for function probably also then a case of if it looks right it is right. :bulb:

The 3 x 3 combination which is necessary for 44ton and was common for concessions road tax at 38ton in the 1990’s, has the obvious penalty of higher tare weights. With regard to weight distribution on a spread axle tandem, we used to run 3 x 2, the 3 axle unit with spread axle tandem actually allowed for good weight distribution on Groupage. Iirc the road tax for 38ton running 3 x 2 was slightly cheaper than 2 x 3 configuration. It did limit the fuel tank size :wink:

Talking of sliding bogies: I occasionally used to pull this trailer in the early '80s. It was an elderly American Strick trailer with a sliding bogy - one of six they had. I never used the slider and I never saw them adjusted to ‘spready’ width. The idea is probably sound but only if, like elevating turntables, you use them often enough not to jam up. Robert

Robert, you posted this pic of this Krupp Atki on page one, would you happen to know who the operator was? Looks British to me judging by the knights heads on grill, Cheer’s Pete

continental_18073.jpg

pete smith:
Robert, you posted this pic of this Krupp Atki on page one, would you happen to know who the operator was? Looks British to me judging by the knights heads on grill, Cheer’s Pete

Glad to oblige, Pete! The answer lies in the caption to the press photo version below. By the way, for a fuller account of this rare model go to the thread I started, called: LHD Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLT. Cheers, Robert

Here’s a lovely example! Robert

RICK%20FERRARI%20041.jpg

Rowland Wards tilt under restoration.

tilt.JPG

mechanic77:

Nice!! I look forward to seeing that at Gaydon. Has a canopy livery been chosen? Robert

OssieD:
Some had other uses, back in the days Jess B Woodcocks trailer

Another lost company

That cage around both axles,perhaps designed to stop the driver taking a “spread”…just a thought!!!

David

Can you remember the old universal Turkish trailers, they were a standard tilt with an innenlader system for glass stillages, the floors folded up to allow them to pick up stillages or carry normal freight

mechanic77:

Nice to see it coming on!

It was new to Jess B Woodcock (Shipping) Limited, and passed to W. H. Bowker International with the JBW European business. Because of the carnets, they kept their JBW fleet numbers throughout their lives with Bowker, and this was the last one.

Here’s what it looked like when I sold it to Rowland:
ABV 317M Atkinson Borderer T3446C by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

mechanic77:

Tidy job Rowly ! coming on a treat I see ! Now how about replacing those landing wheels with flat feet ? 'cause when you get two 10ton “eye to the sky” coils dropped onto it you don’t want it sinking on the trailer park Eh! :wink: Mr. C. wouldn’t be able to get under it with The Beast for the night trunk ! :laughing: :frowning: Anyway Rowly I’m looking forward to admiring the finished result so all the best Mate. Cheers Dennis.

Hi Berwick and gardener 240 yes it’s coming on we’ll just had 8 new wheels and tyres and had anew kerruing floor done all new piping electrics everything brand new and Monday next taking it too Newport for new canvas and sign righting I’m still trying to think wat to put on it but it should be done in three weeks regards rowly

mechanic77:

Hey, very nice.

Eric,

Hey, in prervation.

Eric

Hey, as you see were you today still some wide spreads for concrate beams and flat transport which were
dismantled.

rward:
Hi Berwick and gardener 240 yes it’s coming on we’ll just had 8 new wheels and tyres and had anew kerruing floor done all new piping electrics everything brand new and Monday next taking it too Newport for new canvas and sign righting I’m still trying to think wat to put on it but it should be done in three weeks regards rowly

Good news Rowly!

Have you done something with the nearside rear hub? Remember it had a metric hub for some reason, so it had different wheels on it?

A couple of nice pics by Dave Lee. Robert