The classic 12-metre tandem spread-axle tilt

Hey, Again on the road as vintage, by its new owner.

Eric,

Hi all
Here is an old spread axle, Kuwaiti Reg here in Doha. It looks like an old Swede or German with those mudguards.

And another. Qatar Trailer. This one has even got a bar to “sit on” :laughing:

And here’s another, on air and super singles.

Spread axle_zpsbalgfykt.jpg

Don’t know to much about tilts, but I seem to remember that there were step frame trailers with the same axle set-up as well…?

Cheers, Patrick

GS OVERLAND:
Hi all
Here is an old spread axle, Kuwaiti Reg here in Doha. It looks like an old Swede or German with those mudguards.

Thanks GS! When I last drove down to the Gulf, fifteen years ago, I noticed that some countries - the Turks in particular - were using ‘modern-length’ (ie 13.6m) trailers, but with the old-fashioned tandem spread-axle set-up (something you never really saw in Europe). Actually, they looked quite good to the eye! Robert

cav551:
And didn’t they go BANG when you turned a bit tight!

They certainly did Cav, especially when you weren’t expecting it or late at night when everywhere was very quiet.
Those trailers probably introduced a new word into the English language as in “I am going for a spread axle” or “I am just off for a spreader”. :laughing:

Well come on lads, this threads already on page 3 and somebody was going to mention it sooner or later. :blush:

Spirited driving around bends would get the back wheels off the ground on those spreadaxles, they could also be a nightmare to reverse on bumpy ground as they pivoted on whichever axle had the most weight.

But they are iconic and behind the right unit, they make the best looking artic ever. Take your pick from a 141, 89 or Transcon and if you’re a little bit eccentric I’m led to believe there was an ERF that has a bit of a fan club.

Here is another one.
This one was used extensively home and overseas by Hewson Brothers from Howden East Yorkshire.
Usually hitched up to one of their Ford Transcontinentals, but did have Daf and F88’s too pulling it.
Some may remember they were eventually taken over by Ellerpack which was subsequently bought by George Allinson

And here it is…this is just been between Goole and depot at Howden just coming off the M62. As you see this was a publicity shot for Ford!

Hey, is this already restored ■■?

Eric,

Hey, Twice wide spread. :smiley: :smiley:

Eric,

tiptop495:

Eric,

Always had a soft spot for Renault truck’s, :wink:

eddie snax:

tiptop495:

Eric,

Hard one for berliets ?.
:open_mouth: :astonished:

Tubbysboy:

eddie snax:

tiptop495:

Eric,

Hard one for berliets ?.
:open_mouth: :astonished:

Need to have a hard think about that :wink:

Another great Thread Robert! The widespread tandem Tilt is definitely the most Iconic classic Trailer! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

380streamline:
Another great Thread Robert! The widespread tandem Tilt is definitely the most Iconic classic Trailer! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thanks! Yes, I think so too :sunglasses: . Cheers, Robert

robert1952:

GS OVERLAND:
Hi all

Thanks GS! When I last drove down to the Gulf, fifteen years ago, I noticed that some countries - the Turks in particular - were using ‘modern-length’ (ie 13.6m) trailers, but with the old-fashioned tandem spread-axle set-up (something you never really saw in Europe). Actually, they looked quite good to the eye! Robert

Hi Robert
Yes they do look good. Imagine the belly tank that could fit under one of those !! :wink: :wink:
Don’t see any Turks down here now though !
Only Jordanians, Kuwaiti trucks with Syrian drivers, Bahraini trucks & drivers, Saudi trucks with Indian, Thai and Phillipino drivers etc and UAE trucks with Pakistani, Indian and Afghan drivers as always… :smiley:

robert1952:

380streamline:

Coincidentally the idea is still in common use across the Atlantic.Arguably to better effect regards weight distribution with their typically more set back axle line. :bulb:

farm4.static.flickr.com/3746/142 … 0610_b.jpg

Carryfast:

robert1952:

380streamline:

Coincidentally the idea is still in common use across the Atlantic.Arguably to better effect regards weight distribution with their typically more set back axle line. :bulb:

With the spread that wide, it gives the trailer a gawky look! Robert

In the late 60/70s I used to do Tilts out of Immingham when I worked for F.Short & Son Ltd in Newcastle, They were Bramms & Van Veen spread axle Tilts, They were allways loaded for Lennigs at Jarrow, Laterly known as Romhass, They allways had dodgey tyres on, I had a blowout at Doncaster one thursday night, So I parked up at The Red House Cafe & called the office & they arranged for a tyre firm to come out, It was a bit of a joke because the tyre that blew off was the best one of the 8, Anyway the tyre fitter got the new tyre fitted on the following day & I carried on & off loaded at Jarrow & back to the depot, Ken Short wasnt a happy man I can tell you because BAVV, Were relluctant to pay for the new tyre, Regards Larry.

robert1952:

Carryfast:

With the spread that wide, it gives the trailer a gawky look! Robert

+1

Definitely a case of function over form in that case. :wink:

Although having said that I prefer the 3 + triaxle configuration in the case of artics at least regards form and as for function probably also then a case of if it looks right it is right. :bulb: