The classic 12-metre tandem spread-axle tilt

whiplash:
A few from my Meadows freight collection.

A great selection there ‘whiplash’ - thank you for posting! robert

backsplice:
You,ve seen this one before Robert !!!

epic stuff! Robert :sunglasses:

Heres a few.

ATKINSFIAT.jpg

DENBY88.jpg

DEANB:
Heres a few.

And nearly all F88/9s too - quelle surprise! :laughing: Robert

robert1952:
Here’s another transport design that marked an era of transport design: the classic 12-metre tandem spread-axle tilt. Once upon a time, when I did quite a lot of traction work out of the channel ports, I pulled a fair few of these and most of them were knackered from the abuse normally afforded to unaccompanied channel-hoppers of the period. The first picture, below, bears witness to my labours! Nonetheless these trailers remain for me (visually at least!) my favourite weapon of choice. Drivers will remember that when cornering and reversing, one had to remember whether the trailer was a tandem or tri-axle set-up as the technique was slightly different, the tri-axle pivoting on the centre axle rather than the forward one. Any road up, I dedicate this thread to that particular ilk of semi-trailer. Robert

Only a flat here, but it started life as a Middle East tilt:
GBV 759E Atkinson T3046XB ‘Silver Knight’ by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

GBV 759E Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ T3046XB by Chris Gardner, on Flickr

BVB 457H Atkinson ‘Silver Knight’ T3046X by Gardner 8LXB, on Flickr

I collected this brand new tilt from Tilt-Tec Barking but it was on an old chassis
regards
Jeremy
[attachment=0]LTS24.jpg[/attachment)

Some nice images there, chaps! Here are a few off ebay. Robert

i forgot this one , Ferrymaster spread axle flat i just happened to have on for quick sunday morning home delivery.

DEANB:

My pics keep popping up everywhere!

Hey, Still allive and at work '76 Vanhool, not restored but with a very good chassis and Tandem.
Tilt can have two hights, but must have a new sheet.

Eric,

Hey, we could have 38 tonnes in Belgium with this, wide spread, narrow tandem or tridem was all the same 38 ton
From '85 on came the 44 ton 5 axles (Tridems, with wide spead axles) even still wider speads gives in Holland 50ton
on 5 axles.

Eric,

Great thread Robert.
Frans Maas had them too, here’s a pic I’ve snatched from the Frans Maas Thread :smiley:
They also had a bunch of ex rentco spreads" they were beautiful to pull, don’t know why but they just ran so true :smiley:

Norfolk line had some spread axles tandems on super singles and air suspension, bloody awful things, would wallow around as soon as you put any significant weight on them.

Carryfast:
It’s difficult to see the idea of these.It just creates more unnecessary tyre scrub when turning and creates havoc with load distribution by putting more weight on the rear axle and removing it from the drive. :confused:

From My own experience of using both spread axle and close coupled tandems, the spreads come into their own on motorways/autoroutes/autobahns, or wide fast moving “national” type roads, where the spread of the axle seemed to help in keeping a better straight line, than the close coupled type. I could be wrong, but that was the sense I got whilst at the wheels, and as has already been stated they were lighter than a tri-axle :wink:

And 2 more, again from the Frans Maas thread

The best way to load :smiley:

The worst way to load :open_mouth:

Still preferred stripping a tilt to roping and sheeting

Thank to Bert Wolters for the FM thread :smiley:

Hey, sorry for fotoshopping the pic, but it was not sold already at the moment, and the guy didn’t want to show his tractor.
Here a Norfolk restored tilt, now sold and stays in Belgium, only pitty that it is single tyred and has airsuspension.

Eric,

tiptop495:
Hey, sorry for fotoshopping the pic, but it was not sold already at the moment, and the guy didn’t want to show his tractor.
Here a Norfolk restored tilt, now sold and stays in Belgium, only pitty that it is single tyred and has airsuspension.

Eric,

The single-wheel examples weren’t nearly as common as the double-wheeled ones in those days. I always assumed the single-wheeled trailers were for light-weight loads. Was I right? Robert

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Eric,

The single-wheel examples weren’t nearly as common as the double-wheeled ones in those days. I always assumed the single-wheeled trailers were for light-weight loads. Was I right? Robert[/quot

Hey Robert,

Before '84 the single wheeled axles were nearly not sold here for tandems, but with the 44 law, singles came on all trailers and together with airsuspension, without air we loss about 2 tons after '84.
But single or double we have and had always 10 tons axle weight with 425 22.5 tyres for singles.
Before '84 all configuration were max 38 ton, but 42 was more common at that time. :smiley: :smiley:
After '84 with all air execpt front axle is on 5 axles 44 and 4 axles 39, strange but if you today an old configuration drives with 4 or 5 axles, you only are allowed to have 36 ton in all ways. :frowning: :frowning:

Eric,

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Eric,

The single-wheel examples weren’t nearly as common as the double-wheeled ones in those days. I always assumed the single-wheeled trailers were for light-weight loads. Was I right? Robert

do you remember the Chris Hudson designed and built tilts ,super single tyres , independent air suspension , spread axle, don’t turn too tight or the wheels go under, have a blow out and they send a van out from Romford(wherever you are) , deep joy they were.

tony

tiptop495:

Eric,

eddie snax:
Norfolk line had some spread axles tandems on super singles and air suspension, bloody awful things, would wallow around as soon as you put any significant weight on them.

Thanks for the pic, that was what I sometimes had the misfortune to use :unamused:

tiptop495:

robert1952:

tiptop495:

Eric,

The single-wheel examples weren’t nearly as common as the double-wheeled ones in those days. I always assumed the single-wheeled trailers were for light-weight loads. Was I right? Robert[/quot

Hey Robert,

Before '84 the single wheeled axles were nearly not sold here for tandems, but with the 44 law, singles came on all trailers and together with airsuspension, without air we loss about 2 tons after '84.
But single or double we have and had always 10 tons axle weight with 425 22.5 tyres for singles.
Before '84 all configuration were max 38 ton, but 42 was more common at that time. :smiley: :smiley:
After '84 with all air execpt front axle is on 5 axles 44 and 4 axles 39, strange but if you today an old configuration drives with 4 or 5 axles, you only are allowed to have 36 ton in all ways. :frowning: :frowning:

Eric,

Thanks Eric! Robert :smiley: