The bake-house?

I think that Spardo is the man to answer this question. :smiley:
I am dead sure that the Google link that Dodgy Permit put on is The Bakehouse at St Cyr.
The parking for trucks was just past the restaurant on the right hand side (Italy bound) on an area of waste ground stretching past where the bus stop is now. If you were coming home, the parking was on the hard shoulder opposite the bus stop.
I took this photo in the early eighties from the end of the then parking area and some twenty five years later Geoff (The Crow Taylor) R.I.P. recognised himself on Trucknet with the load that he was carrying. :smiley:

David Miller:
That’s not the Bake House. The Bake House was not in a village but stood on its own.

David

30+ years ago yes, but since ?

David Miller:
That’s not the Bake House. The Bake House was not in a village but stood on its own.

David

Thank you David, I thought that the memory was going, I remember the BH was not in the village, I was sure that going out parking was just off the road on RH side. I have emailed the local council office to see if I can find more info.

It may be that the old BH moved to bigger premises in the village, or it could be that progress has caught up and the newish looking buildings have grow around the BH, I first went in the BH in summer 1976
it did not look like the suggested one then.

PASTTRUCKING:

David Miller:

David

Thank you David, I thought that the memory was going, I remember the BH was not in the village, I was sure that going out parking was just off the road on RH side. I have emailed the local council office to see if I can find more info.

It may be that the old BH moved to bigger premises in the village, or it could be that progress has caught up and the newish looking buildings have grow around the BH, I first went in the BH in summer 1976

That is the correct address St. Cyr Sur Menthon, and that is the village that comes up, will admit it don’t look familiar but for me it was 30 years ago, but things do change looks quiet a big village now.

Ossie

mushroomman:
I think that Spardo is the man to answer this question. :smiley:
I am dead sure that the Google link that Dodgy Permit put on is The Bakehouse at St Cyr.
The parking for trucks was just past the restaurant on the right hand side (Italy bound) on an area of waste ground stretching past where the bus stop is now. If you were coming home, the parking was on the hard shoulder opposite the bus stop.
I took this photo in the early eighties from the end of the then parking area and some twenty five years later Geoff (The Crow Taylor) R.I.P. recognised himself on Trucknet with the load that he was carrying. :smiley:

Jeff The Crow Taylor..jpg

Here is a picture of where your lorry was parked, look at the houses behind they are the same, so the picture that comes up must be the Bake House as it is today

St. Cyr.jpg

Ossie

PASTTRUCKING:

David Miller:

David

The front door is still in the right place & to the right set back is where we used to use the showers etc.
It was the slight hill and left hand curve (Macon bound) that also caught my eye.

Ok does anyone remember that small village we used to go through going out ?, it was one way for Blanc bound traffic as the main road was so narrow.
Jesus we used to hammer through there 24/7 and I always thought about the poor buggers who lived there.
Think it was around the Bourg area ?

OssieD:
That is the correct address St. Cyr Sur Menthon, and that is the village that comes up, will admit it don’t look familiar but for me it was 30 years ago, but things do change looks quiet a big village now.

Ossie

Hi Ossie D, you are dead right mate about the area changing over the last thirty years. :slight_smile:
If you remember about a mile or so before The Bakehouse on the right hand side, there used to be a small yard where they made those Lamberet fridge trailers. Somebody might remember seeing a few brand new trailers parked up outside, there were never more than a dozen or so.
If you follow the road back there on Dodgy Permit’s Google link you might get a surprise like I just did to see how big that company has grown. :astonished:

I thought that I would show this picture of The Bakehouse taken a few years ago on Google Earth.

Regards Steve.

Someone refresh my memory please! I can’t remember where “the bakehouse” was, is it between Chalon and Bourg on the “dogleg” national?

Cheers guys,

brookie.

Hi Brookie the Bakehouse was on the main road from Macon to
Bourg en bresse at the village of St.Cyr sur Menthon and many a
happy hour was had there by all!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Regards GAZ

Ahaa!

thanks Gaz, I thought it was Bourg way somewhere, but I can’t remember the name of the other one I was thinking of. It was on the national between Tournus and Bourg Nord, a regular Brit stop. Any ideas?

cheers,

brookie.

That would be 'Jayat ’ Brookie :wink:

Regards GAZ

the monkey house.
i cant remember where it was…not too far from the bakehouse?

The Monkeyhouse was on RN84 between Nantua and Bellegarde
a good hour and a half after the Bakehouse! :smiley:

Regards GAZ

Ok Gaz what about the Swiss Routiers before the Autoroute one of the best

GAZ IOW:
That would be 'Jayat ’ Brookie :wink:

Regards GAZ

cheers GAZ, was you a regular there?!

greg50:
the monkey house.
i cant remember where it was…not too far from the bakehouse?

Yep, the “monkey house” was further on past the Shell garage at Charix near Nantua, it burned down about 1992 ish. I had a couple of good meals there, although I prefered the Shell at Charix. I took a photo of the Monkeyhouse the christmas before it burned down, all lit up with a couple of feet of snow outside, very festive! Who remembers meals at routiers for only a few quid?! I don’t know how much you pay nowadays. Anyone stopped at the shell lately?

Cheers,

brookie.

Its about 13 euro now for a “Repas” Gaz. I usually have one on the way up in the summer at Vivonne on the N10.

gazzer:
Its about 13 euro now for a “Repas” Gaz. I usually have one on the way up in the summer at Vivonne on the N10.

I used to use a few on the N10, one just north of Tours near Monnaie, on the left heading north up the N10. another one was just before Angouleme, on the right heading south, neon lights outside, got very busy with french motors, but great food. I prefered it to the BP at Bordeaux, never was a fan of the BP truckstops.

A great drive the N10, used it all the time when we shipped from Newhaven - Dieppe for Spain and Portugal. Happy days!

Sorry for the detour from my original post!

brookie.

traniht:

where abouts was that then ?

brookie.

traniht:

Do you mean the one between Nantua and Bellegarde just after the hairpin
over the railway bridge (where ‘Squeaker Fred’ went over) it was on the
left when Blanc bound?

Regards GAZ